Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:35 am

Has anyone done this recently? I'm a silver elite with ~45 stays non-Marriott properties in 2013 with an upcoming deluge of Marriott required stays and was wondering if the challenges still exist!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by noob23
Has anyone done this recently? I'm a silver elite with ~45 stays non-Marriott properties in 2013 with an upcoming deluge of Marriott required stays and was wondering if the challenges still exist!
Don't think it exists anymore unless it shows up in your promotions.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
See my post above, e-mail them the evidence of your 45 stays and they'll probably sort you out. I was in exactly the same situation as you and I got it.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:52 am

I would say at this point, the taste challenges are 'dead' and it takes significant effort to get it. They will offer you the elite challenge to get you up one level, but do not offer the higher level status while you are performing the challenge. Misinformation is rampant amount the agents as well. BUT persistence does pay off if you have enough previous stays and stays coming up.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:31 am

I would say at this point, the taste challenges are 'dead' and it takes significant effort to get it. They will offer you the elite challenge to get you up one level, but do not offer the higher level status while you are performing the challenge. Misinformation is rampant amount the agents as well. BUT persistence does pay off if you have enough previous stays and stays coming up.
Not quite correct, I have gold while I'm undertaking the taste of gold challenge. Fair to say lots of evidence and persistence is required though.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The Plat challenge certainly isn't dead.

I was Plat for several years, albeit the last couple of renewals didn't manage the 75 nights but comped, however finally got busted to gold in 2013.

Travel is now picking up again and I'm very likely to achieve 75 nights this year. I rang Marriott as I had a couple of point shorting issues and wanted to swap my megabonus. After sorting that out, just as I was about to hang up I asked whether I could get some kind of challenge. The rep said "I can see you've been Plat before and have 6 stays booked" then put me hold for a couple of minutes and on return told me I was upgraded to Plat with a target of 9 stays or 18 nights before 30 April. It really was easy and the status updated to my account a couple of days later.

I think all the hotel groups struggle with this early status issue. They want to capture business and early status is certainly a way of driving stay behaviour. Some groups status match but the verification aspect can raise CS issues, and is unwieldy. Temporary status whilst fulfilling short pro-rata stay requirements is vulnerable to gaming, but status-free pro-rata challenges are seen as unattractive to customers. The history of this thread suggests Marriott has tried all 3, and found all to be wanting so is now taking an ad-hoc approach whilst it grapples with a uniformal policy.

For the moment however status challenges are possible, though YMMV
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I was Plat for several years, ...
That, I believe, is the key. They're hoping you'll be back for seconds.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
The history of this thread suggests Marriott has tried all 3, and found all to be wanting so is now taking an ad-hoc approach whilst it grapples with a uniformal policy.

For the moment however status challenges are possible, though YMMV
This is true. I did manage to get the taste promotion in the end, but it required some effort, mainly due to the rampant misinformation among the reps. It certainly wasn't as easy as it was in the past (according to this thread), where all it took was asking!

The elite challenge is now offered first, but with some previous history or significant future stays they will give you the taste
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The Road to Gold

The Road to Gold targeted promo. Not sure if this is new news or not?

Dear AlwaysSunnyInORD:

Give your benefits a boost with this exclusive offer. Get automatic Gold Elite status for the remainder of the current year—plus an additional year—when you make four separate stays. As a Gold Elite member, enjoy exclusive benefits including upgrades, free Internet and a 25% point bonus.

Register online by 01/28/2014, make four stays in the following three months and get the recognition and rewards you deserve.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
The Road to Gold targeted promo. Not sure if this is new news or not?

Dear AlwaysSunnyInORD:

Give your benefits a boost with this exclusive offer. Get automatic Gold Elite status for the remainder of the current year—plus an additional year—when you make four separate stays. As a Gold Elite member, enjoy exclusive benefits including upgrades, free Internet and a 25% point bonus.

Register online by 01/28/2014, make four stays in the following three months and get the recognition and rewards you deserve.
I got that last year. Seems like if you have a few stays recently they may target you to send it to you.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Smile Status Match

Originally Posted by travelexpert
My son has been HH Diamond for the past decade.

Following HH's MEGA-UBER-SUPER-devaluation this year, I suggested that he email MR to get a match.

Response last week was that they do no longer do matches or challenges. When he asked why--no response--just provided a link about how many nights to earn each elite level.

Given that HY offered a simply 12 night in 3 month challenge for Diamond--it's a "no brainer" who will earn his future business...

I've just moved from HH to Marriott (lifetime status appeals) and I dropped them an email asking them to status match my Hilton Diamond Status. Didn't manage to get Platinum but didn't get instant upgrade to Gold.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting....I am PLT but my boss is not, so I told them I would call (as them) and try to get them a PLT challenge. First CS person said that they stopped issuing challanges and fronting you the status.

Now all they do is allow you to do a challenge to get 1 level above what you currently are and it is based on stays (not nights), for gold it was 6 stays. After arguing/pleading with the CS supervisor, an exception was made for "me" (aka my boss) and I was told if I stay 9 stays they will upgrade the account from Silver to PLT but that he would "be personally watching the account" and an exception "would never be granted again". Ooooo
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:29 pm

My recent experience with Marriott is they have no interest in trying to poach loyal business travelers. Insisting on stays rather than nights is just silly. Making it 6 or 9 stays is plain ridiculous (especially given some people stay many nights in each destination). So I just continue to book with the chains where I have existing loyalty and ignore Marriott for the most part. Their loss.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Enigma
My recent experience with Marriott is they have no interest in trying to poach loyal business travelers. Insisting on stays rather than nights is just silly. Making it 6 or 9 stays is plain ridiculous (especially given some people stay many nights in each destination). So I just continue to book with the chains where I have existing loyalty and ignore Marriott for the most part. Their loss.
I only do a couple of nights a week so stays works better for me. Different people have different patterns!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I got the "taste of platinum" challenge last year. By the time I completed the 9 stays, I had exceeded the night stays requirement for qualifying the "normal" way... I know different people have different patterns, but it does seem that Marriott makes it more difficult for people who have longer stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.