Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
in the past, if status was acheived before the end of the current year it would be valid until the end of February 2-years hence (so Feb 2015)...........

Originally Posted by maplenight
I just applied a Platinum challenge days ago and I think I heard the agent say that if I achieve the status, it's gonna be valid all through the year 2015. But when I called in yesterday and wanted them to send me a confirmation email, the agent could not confirm that at all. Actually he couldn't tell me at all til when the status is gonna be valid. He put me on hold for really long and came back saying that two of his colleagues had two different answers. One said it's gonna expire in Feb 2015, and the other said it depends on how the challenge application is done and nothing is set on stone.

According to my research, it seems that if the status is achieved before the end of Feb, it's only valid til Feb the next year. Is that true?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
in the past, if status was acheived before the end of the current year it would be valid until the end of February 2-years hence (so Feb 2015)...........
So what you mean is the dividing line is the end of the year, not the end of Feb. What if I complete the challenge and achieve the status at the end of Jan.?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by maplenight
So what you mean is the dividing line is the end of the year, not the end of Feb. What if I complete the challenge and achieve the status at the end of Jan.?
The way it was explained to me, you get status for the following year. So if you complete it during 2013 (any month), you get status for 2014 (all year). You also get the rest of 2013, and the beginning of 2015, because that's how it works.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I thought June 30th was the cut off... if you complete the challenge before June 30th 2013 you get it all 2013 and till Feb 2014. if you complete it after June 30th 2013 you get all of 2013 and all of 2014 and till feb of 2015.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:04 am

there are reports out there saying that this challenge was discontinued, "due to sites like flyertalk".

Does anyone have any confirmation of this?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by bmw303
there are reports out there saying that this challenge was discontinued, "due to sites like flyertalk".

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/09/03/m...-discontinued/
http://boardingarea.com/frequentmile...ty-challenges/
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
I thought June 30th was the cut off... if you complete the challenge before June 30th 2013 you get it all 2013 and till Feb 2014. if you complete it after June 30th 2013 you get all of 2013 and all of 2014 and till feb of 2015.
I agree with that is how it work in the PAST.

We completed the challenge in Dec 2012 so our Golds stay good for all of 2013 and till Feb 2014. Though the reps said technically it is Jan 31st of 2014.

Therefore the most advantageous time to start it is in July of each year if the challenge is still offered.

I though Marriott stops offering Challenges? I am rather confused there are still folks on the Challenge?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Happy
I agree with that is how it work in the PAST.

We completed the challenge in Dec 2012 so our Golds stay good for all of 2013 and till Feb 2014. Though the reps said technically it is Jan 31st of 2014.

Therefore the most advantageous time to start it is in July of each year if the challenge is still offered.

I though Marriott stops offering Challenges? I am rather confused there are still folks on the Challenge?
Unfortunately I find many reps are not up on the latest rules with their own program. I seriously doubt MR IT will be downgrading only the people that did a challenge a month before those that did not do a challenge. And that's presuming they haven't requalified in the mean time.

I have seen posts from people that are still on their challenge that was started before MR shut them down. Many have posted their request had been refused. Since some of them have been "manual" challenges, maybe there are a few rouge CSRs that haven't read all their eMail yet.

But yes, under the previous rules, starting a challenge in the first half got you less time IF you did not make the normal nights to earn status. The advantage of doing a status in the first half is if you want your status quicker and either will not be staying with MI past the end of your challenge. Or if you will be meeting the challenge but not staying at MIs past the end of Feb of the next year. There appears to be many "short-timers" that only want status when they expect to be staying and won't earn it normally showing loyalty to the loyalty program.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:08 am

I think it's good to ask the rep in touch with you about the validity period of your membership. I started mine in Feb which ends in June, my Platinum valid till Feb 2015=)

Originally Posted by Happy

Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:34 am
Suspended

Hi FTers,
I completed my Gold challenge in Feb 2013 and was told my gold status is good till Feb 2015
I may reach 75 membership nights by the end of this year(including MR Premier credit card awarded nights)-will my status be Platinum for the year 2014?

Thx a lot for any insights !
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kikid
Hi FTers,
I completed my Gold challenge in Feb 2013 and was told my gold status is good till Feb 2015
I may reach 75 membership nights by the end of this year(including MR Premier credit card awarded nights)-will my status be Platinum for the year 2014?

Thx a lot for any insights !
Yes, if you reach a higher status through nights, then that status will prevail until the end of Feb two years out. Doing a challenge does not reduce the nights needed for the next level. Doing a challenge only gets you status earlier than you might have gotten otherwise.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
I think it's good to ask the rep in touch with you about the validity period of your membership. I started mine in Feb which ends in June, my Platinum valid till Feb 2015=)
Our challenges were started in Sept 2012 and ended in Dec 2012. So Feb 2014 would be about right. TWO, but not just one rep told me that Jan 31st is how it ends and I actually got a Gold card had Jan 2014 on it. Yet months later I got another card had Feb 2014 on it. I dont much care as we have no need for hotel stay in Feb 2014. Marriott stays would be finished in Jan 2014. Then in the rest of 2014 we would mainly stay at HHonor properties where our Golds would go thru March 2015.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Hello Roger,

Thanks a lot for your advice Really appreciate it!

kiki

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, if you reach a higher status through nights, then that status will prevail until the end of Feb two years out. Doing a challenge does not reduce the nights needed for the next level. Doing a challenge only gets you status earlier than you might have gotten otherwise.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303

I just tried to activate a challenge and was advised that the Challenge was no longer offered.

I would be interested to know if others have had similar as well.

PS: "due to sites like flyertalk"...driving all the business to our hotels. Must be quite a bother.

Last edited by Albatross710; Oct 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:45 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
I called for a challenge a few days after they made the recent changes to policy. I was given the opportunity to get Gold after 6 stays. First 5 stays were in Fairfield and Springhill, so no big deal. When I called before the 6th stay asking whether I could maybe have it for the upcoming full-service stay, where the status would actually make a difference, I was told a polite but very stern "No".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.