Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi
I called today to sign up for the challenge but they said since I was currently Platinum, I needed to wait until March 1 until my status drops to Gold. Does anyone know if I do need to wait or are there other options?
You can't do a challenge for a status you currently hold.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Are any other people seeing what I'm seeing? When I click on the #nights figure on my account page, the popup shows the #nights I had in 2017 as '2018 total'. It then subtracts this figure from what I need to earn to renew Plat level! Would be nice if it were true but maybe this is just a glitch as the year rolls over?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi
I called today to sign up for the challenge but they said since I was currently Platinum, I needed to wait until March 1 until my status drops to Gold. Does anyone know if I do need to wait or are there other options?
Funniest post all day. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:16 am

Without calling how can you figure out when your Platinum Elite status ends? Last year I did the Platinum elite challenge in July and got all 9 nights probably in the middle of August. I thought I read on here it is given for 15 months?

Also I reached 75 nights in October. So would it of started for me in August or October?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Without calling how can you figure out when your Platinum Elite status ends? Last year I did the Platinum elite challenge in July and got all 9 nights probably in the middle of August. I thought I read on here it is given for 15 months?

Also I reached 75 nights in October. So would it of started for me in August or October?
If I understand the program correctly, your status will expire 28 February 2019. From what I've read, (in most cases) status is given for 14 months beyond the year in which you earn it; therefore, status earned in 2017 would be good for all of 2018 plus the first two months of 2019.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: A3*G, AB G, LA Plat, AY Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Expl, BestW Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, ClubC Gold
That's what I have received today per email (bolding mine):

Q
On behalf of Marriott Rewards Guest Services, please allow me to extend the offer of a Platinum Elite Status challenge. If you accept this offer, your account status would be upgraded to Platinum Elite after the following terms have been met.

In order to achieve this status, you must accumulate nine separate paid stays beginning with the date your account is registered for the offer, through 4/30/18. This is a one-time offer, and would be effective within three business days of your acceptance of this offer.

Once you have accumulated nine separate paid stays, your account status would be upgraded to Platinum Elite through January 2019. To retain this status for all of 2019, you would need to accrue the qualifying number of Elite nights during 2018. The Silver Elite level requires 10 Elite nights, the Gold Elite level requires 50 Elite nights, and the Platinum Elite level requires 75 Elite nights.

Should you be unable to accumulate nine separate paid stays during this trial period, your account would remain at your current status, and you would need to stay the normal night requirements to achieve this Platinum Elite level.
UQ

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
When I enrolled in December I was told that provided I achieved the nine stays after February 28 I would hold Platinum through February 2020. This advice was record against my account and the call was recorded (presumably also by Marriott).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by A3Fan
That's what I have received today per email (bolding mine):

Q
On behalf of Marriott Rewards Guest Services, please allow me to extend the offer of a Platinum Elite Status challenge. If you accept this offer, your account status would be upgraded to Platinum Elite after the following terms have been met.

In order to achieve this status, you must accumulate nine separate paid stays beginning with the date your account is registered for the offer, through 4/30/18. This is a one-time offer, and would be effective within three business days of your acceptance of this offer.

Once you have accumulated nine separate paid stays, your account status would be upgraded to Platinum Elite through January 2019. To retain this status for all of 2019, you would need to accrue the qualifying number of Elite nights during 2018. The Silver Elite level requires 10 Elite nights, the Gold Elite level requires 50 Elite nights, and the Platinum Elite level requires 75 Elite nights.

Should you be unable to accumulate nine separate paid stays during this trial period, your account would remain at your current status, and you would need to stay the normal night requirements to achieve this Platinum Elite level.
UQ

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
That doesn't look right to me. If you successfully complete the status challenge by the end of April 2018 then I would expect the status to be good for February 2020.

I did a similar challenge from Gold last year (finishing in July) and I was granted Plat status till Feb 2019. The main thing is to avoid finishing in January because then you lose a year.

Last edited by yurtripper; Jan 3, 2018 at 11:26 am Reason: Updated on basis of info from Marriott Insiders.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:25 am

Actually, if you complete the challenge in Feb 2018 your status should be valid till Feb 2020. It's only completing it in January that's a problem (status valid till Feb 2019).

This information comes courtesy of Marriott Insiders, confirmed as of today.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
I have a similar weird letter with Jan 2019 from Marriott Rewards support and the same reply from Marriott Insiders with Feb 2020, as outlined above.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:23 am

I'm doing a Plat Challenge at the moment - do points and cash nights count towards my challenge or is it cash only?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by shadowline
I'm doing a Plat Challenge at the moment - do points and cash nights count towards my challenge or is it cash only?
Only paid stays count.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

Here is DP : Not good news for me

I completed Platinum challenge on Jan 1st (although I had till March 31st to finish challenge). Unfortunately my status is valid only until 31st Jan 2019 (not 2020).

If you're working on Gold / Platinum challenge, wait till Feb 1st to finish your challenge for status until 2020.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: free agent
I should get 100% confirmation few days later that I will retain another year of Marriott Gold via AMEX SPG’s 30k spending to qualify for SPG gold.

Marriott likely grant status challenge that will end on April 30 if I request one few days later? Will travel plenty in April and rather get status challenge soon as possible before unable to take advatange of it.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:46 am

Could someone please clarify one thing for me: I have now signed up for Marriott Platinum challenge and will complete it it Feb. Consequently, Platinum status is through end of Jan 2020. The same will be true for SPG Platinum, which matches Marriott automatically.

Now, during 2018 I am probably having about 15 stays with SPG. Does it make sense for me to try push it to 25 stays in terms of maintaining status from SPG side beyond Jan 2020 (which is secured by Marriott challenge anyway)? I am not gonna do needless mattress runs, but I will still need some considerable extra spending to move extra stays to SPG for that purpose. Or whatever stays I have during 2018 doesn't impact the validity of status, and if I want to keep Platinum beyond Jan 2020, I need to make 25 stays in 2019 (provided SPG program is still separate)?

P. S. I am new to SPG/Marriott program and do not know how this works, so please excuse me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.