Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a leap of faith in Marriott!

I will say they upgraded me to Plat lightning fast after I completed stay number 9.
I'm at 6 of 9 and have until 31 December to complete the final three stays. You can be certain I'll be calling as soon as the last stay posts to confirm I've completed the challenge.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Does three rooms for one night at the one hotel count as three stays or just three nights?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by danger
Does three rooms for one night at the one hotel count as three stays or just three nights?
It's counted as one stay/one night regardless number of rooms you book at the same property. IMO, this is where SPG excels where you can earn elite nights on multiple rooms (up to three). You do get points for all three rooms though (max).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by waribai
I was given the 9 night challenge for platinum. Should I be able to see this in promotion central or does it not appear in the same way as other promotions?
I just came in with the same question. I'm surprised that they don't even send an email confirmation that you're enrolled in the challenge.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by flandery
I just came in with the same question. I'm surprised that they don't even send an email confirmation that you're enrolled in the challenge.
You do get an email after you signup for the challenge.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by flandery
I think nowhere it is stated that they have to. Finally, it's an unpublished challenge.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
No, you do not. I specifically asked about this when I was on the phone requesting the challenge last year, and was told they do not send an email. True to this advice, I received no email.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
No, you do not. I specifically asked about this when I was on the phone requesting the challenge last year, and was told they do not send an email. True to this advice, I received no email.
This was my experience also. I requested the Challenge via chat so I saved a transcript.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
No, no generated email here... Only the advisor, confirming in the email conversation, that I was enrolled in the challenge.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
nope, you don’t. Didn’t get one in 2016 when I did the gold challenge, and didn’t get one for my current platinum challenge.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:16 pm

I can confirm that there is no email sent to confirm your enrollment in the challenge, nor is there an email or notification that you have completed it. You will just see your status as Platinum when you login to your Marriott account. Also, the status appears instantly as soon as your 9th night posts.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Definitely no email or anything visible online. The rep I spoke to today confirmed that I was enrolled though.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:11 pm

I was speaking to an agent last night who informed me if I start the challenge now, regardless of when I complete it, the status is only good to February 2019. They said if I start in January the status would be for all of 2018 and 2019. I think I've heard conflicting info on this topic - can anyone confirm what they're being told?

Also, I've had colleagues successfully start the challenge retroactively (within reason), but the agent I spoke to said they cannot back date the start date to my stay last week. Any other data points on that topic? Thanks all!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
OK, so really really stupid question....

First off i stay IHG Jan-Jun and Marriott Jul-Dec, so i always requal plat late in the year.

I was in the middle of a 26 day stay that put me at 68 days total, I had an additional 5 day stay and I have 10 more days booked this year

I got the 20 more days before Dec 31 and requal plat challenge thing as I checked out of the hotel for the 26 days stay, but now, after the additional 5 day stay I am at 73 days total....BUT
I am at 5 out of 20 days to requal, yet i will requal the old fashioned way before I requal under their challenge

Will this cause problems or will I just requal the old fashioned way and the challenge just go away?

I will end at 83 days total, yet 15 out of 20 on the challenge
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by tylerc
I was speaking to an agent last night who informed me if I start the challenge now, regardless of when I complete it, the status is only good to February 2019. They said if I start in January the status would be for all of 2018 and 2019. I think I've heard conflicting info on this topic - can anyone confirm what they're being told?
If you want status through Feb 2020, you gotta start challenge in 2018. If you start before beginning of 2018, it will be until Feb 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.