Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Breaking news - there's not going to be a seperate SPG program for you to have any status in 2019

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Could someone please clarify one thing for me: I have now signed up for Marriott Platinum challenge and will complete it it Feb. Consequently, Platinum status is through end of Jan 2020. The same will be true for SPG Platinum, which matches Marriott automatically.

Now, during 2018 I am probably having about 15 stays with SPG. Does it make sense for me to try push it to 25 stays in terms of maintaining status from SPG side beyond Jan 2020 (which is secured by Marriott challenge anyway)? I am not gonna do needless mattress runs, but I will still need some considerable extra spending to move extra stays to SPG for that purpose. Or whatever stays I have during 2018 doesn't impact the validity of status, and if I want to keep Platinum beyond Jan 2020, I need to make 25 stays in 2019 (provided SPG program is still separate)?

P. S. I am new to SPG/Marriott program and do not know how this works, so please excuse me
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Breaking news - there's not going to be a seperate SPG program for you to have any status in 2019
That's why I specifically said *provided SPG program is still separate*.

Nothing breaking, I also read the news as you do.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:52 am
Suspended

Actually your entire January 2020 theory is patently flawed in that although Marriott has stated Marriott earned LT S/G/P statuses will be recognized in their new program I haven't seen anything stated that non-LT statuses will be continued in their new program

Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:10 am

Actually your entire January 2020 theory is patently flawed in that although Marriott has stated Marriott earned LT S/G/P statuses will be recognized in their new program I haven't seen anything stated that non-LT statuses will be continued in their new program
You didn't seem to have read my post. My Jan 2020 "theory" is based on Marriott status acquired via Marriott challenge already confirmed by Marriott. It has nothing to do with SPG.

My question is whether it makes any sense for me to invest extra stays in SPG program during 2018 for maintaining status beyond Jan 2020. It may not make sense, I have no idea if this regard, that's why I am asking.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:25 am
Suspended

Oh, I read your post but you obviously haven't read, nor understand, mine as your challenge will get you P in 2018, however there's nothing from Marriott that says that after 2018 when their new program is due to start that they will recognize your P status any further for to date only those LT Marriott statuses will be recognized

You didn't seem to have read my post. My Jan 2020 "theory" is based on Marriott status acquired via Marriott challenge already confirmed by Marriott. It has nothing to do with SPG.

My question is whether it makes any sense for me to invest extra stays in SPG program during 2018 for maintaining status beyond Jan 2020. It may not make sense, I have no idea if this regard, that's why I am asking.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Oh, I read your post but you obviously haven't read, nor understand, mine as your challenge will get you P in 2018, however there's nothing from Marriott that says that after 2018 when their new program is due to start that they will recognize your P status any further for to date only those LT Marriott statuses will be recognized
??? So what you are saying is that MPG will put everyone back to no status and we all have to start over earning status? That's not likely and will drive many to other programs. I suspect (and that's all we can do is guess) that if you have Plat status as of the switch over, you will continue to have Plat (or some high level) status in the new program.

And, as for LT status, it's been status LT status from BOTH programs will continue to be recognized after the switch. What we don't know is how the tiers will unfold in MPG so what is now Plat could be Ruby (or some other non-top tier designation). Again, we won't know until MR releases details.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:48 am

however there's nothing from Marriott that says that after 2018 when their new program is due to start that they will recognize your P status any further
Your statement is wrong. Marriott representatives do state that currently earned Platinum status is going to be valid through above mentioned date. Of course you may go on arguing that they can misinform people, but I doubt that could be the case.

Marriott is not the only player around, and if they drop even their own elites, they will simply lose previously loyal customers. I am indeed unsure if status earned in SPG will be recognized equally, though I tend to think it also will.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Could someone please clarify one thing for me: I have now signed up for Marriott Platinum challenge and will complete it it Feb. Consequently, Platinum status is through end of Jan 2020. The same will be true for SPG Platinum, which matches Marriott automatically.

Now, during 2018 I am probably having about 15 stays with SPG. Does it make sense for me to try push it to 25 stays in terms of maintaining status from SPG side beyond Jan 2020 (which is secured by Marriott challenge anyway)? I am not gonna do needless mattress runs, but I will still need some considerable extra spending to move extra stays to SPG for that purpose. Or whatever stays I have during 2018 doesn't impact the validity of status, and if I want to keep Platinum beyond Jan 2020, I need to make 25 stays in 2019 (provided SPG program is still separate)?

P. S. I am new to SPG/Marriott program and do not know how this works, so please excuse me
You should in fact get status until February 2020 under the existing terms. That means there's no need to worry about pushing for 25 stays in SPG this calendar year.

As for keeping Plat beyond Feb 2020, all bets are off until the details emerge from Marriott as to what the qualifying rules will be in the unified program (i.e. what we'll need to do during 2019).
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
You should in fact get status until February 2020 under the existing terms. That means there's no need to worry about pushing for 25 stays in SPG this calendar year.
As for keeping Plat beyond Feb 2020, all bets are off until the details emerge from Marriott as to what the qualifying rules will be in the unified program (i.e. what we'll need to do during 2019).
Thank you. This answer I wanted to hear.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Just got denied a challenge on Twitter.

"Hello, We appreciate your loyalty. Thank you for contacting us. At this time we are not accepting any status challenges. Please contact us at a later time to re-discuss. Thank you,"
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Just got denied a challenge on Twitter.
"Hello, We appreciate your loyalty. Thank you for contacting us. At this time we are not accepting any status challenges. Please contact us at a later time to re-discuss. Thank you,"
Have you tried over phone or contact form via the website? As far as I know, Twitter is not a channel to sign up for a challenge.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Have you tried over phone or contact form via the website? As far as I know, Twitter is not a channel to sign up for a challenge.
Not yet. Will give that a go. Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Not yet. Will give that a go. Thanks
When I contacted Insiders previously in order to enroll, I have been given the following reply:

"In order to enroll in a status challenge, you can either submit a request via the "Contact Us" page at Marriott.com and select Marriott Rewards - managing account" as the "Topic” or by calling 1-801-468-4000."
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: free agent
Got same response and anyone know how long it take for Marriott to reply back once anyone send them a message?

Would like to make some booking asap for late Jan stays but hold off till I get confirmation that Marriott grant me a Plat challenge.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Got same response and anyone know how long it take for Marriott to reply back once anyone send them a message?
Would like to make some booking asap for late Jan stays but hold off till I get confirmation that Marriott grant me a Plat challenge.
Just call them, in a case it's urgent for you. Would be approved (or not) instantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.