Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
What number are you all calling to sign up for the challenge? I'm currently gold, so I'd like to sign up for the platinum challenge.

EDIT: I was asking about the number because the gold MR number listed on the membership card stored on my iPhone wallet is wrong (888-097-xxxx, that's not a valid USA number), but I ended up calling the reservations line, which in turn connected me to the MR line. I'm all set for the platinum challenge, and I already have five stays booked in the next two months. Should be good.

Last edited by fliesdelta; Jan 28, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I wrote to CS through form as told by Insiders but, since 2 days, I got no answer for my polite request of Platinum challenge.
Is this the kind of delay to expect or better write again?
I have many bookings for the near future
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:13 am

I would just call in (to the Marriott Gold line if you are gold). The CSRs were very helpful and knew exactly what I was calling about.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:56 am

Thank you, I got an email right now stating that, if I complete the challenge (May 2018), i will be PLAT till January 2019! Why everyone has been told 2020?! That's unfair
​​​​
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:45 am

Got nothing up to now and will be downgraded to Gold end of Feb. :-(
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:34 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Thank you, I got an email right now stating that, if I complete the challenge (May 2018), i will be PLAT till January 2019! Why everyone has been told 2020?! That's unfair
​​​​
Most people do not get an email, so that is not something systematic. The way the system is set up you get status thru Feb 2020, so I suspect that is just a typo by whoever wrote your email
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:36 am

Yes thank you, I ended up phoning to Gold Line, they told me 2020 so I think there is no great communication between different customer service depts.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Can anyone confirm is Platinum gets reflected immediately upon the last (i.e. ninth paid) challenge stay is posted? And SPG status gets updated accordingly straightaway?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:50 pm

I am cutting it close on when I expect to finish my last stay and when I need Plat status (flying United to Portugal and want to take advantage of Economy Plus through United Silver). Anyways, I spoke with a rep and they said after you check out, you can call and they will update your status manually rather than waiting. He seemed to imply that as long as you have checked out of your last stay, this could be done immediately. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Can anyone confirm is Platinum gets reflected immediately upon the last (i.e. ninth paid) challenge stay is posted? And SPG status gets updated accordingly straightaway?
My Marriott status was updated within 24 hours. It took another couple of days for the SPG status to reflect Platinum.

Originally Posted by hereforthepoints
I am cutting it close on when I expect to finish my last stay and when I need Plat status (flying United to Portugal and want to take advantage of Economy Plus through United Silver). Anyways, I spoke with a rep and they said after you check out, you can call and they will update your status manually rather than waiting. He seemed to imply that as long as you have checked out of your last stay, this could be done immediately. Hope this helps!
When you go to link your United account to your Marriott account, you're going to be told by UA that it takes five business days to reflect any changes. I don't know how long it actually took my UA account to show Silver status but it certainly wasn't a next day event.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by hereforthepoints
Got my Marriott status updated within 24 hrs, but SPG is still stuck on Gold though (and I need it by tomorrow). Will try call Marriott support tomorrow, if it's still there and Twitter support won't help.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:50 pm

I'm getting close to finishing my challenge now -- will complete stay #7 this weekend. Is it ok to finish up in Feb, or should I wait until March to complete stay #9 ? I'd hate to finish too soon and lose a year of benefits. Thanks in advance for your expert advice!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:08 pm

Retain Gold status during Platinum challenge?

Been gold for 6+ years, if relevant. Travel dropped last year so now signed up for the Platinum challenge for the next three months.
If I book now, while Gold, for dates after end of February, will I be Gold during my stays?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by can_travel
Been gold for 6+ years, if relevant. Travel dropped last year so now signed up for the Platinum challenge for the next three months.
If I book now, while Gold, for dates after end of February, will I be Gold during my stays?
Yes. You won't get bumped up to Platinum until you've completed the challenge. It's different from Hilton in that respect (where you get Diamond immediately and have to complete the challenge to retain it).
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by can_travel
The property may think you are gold unless there is a change/refresh to your rez after dropping down. Don't expect any of the gold benefits from MR, those look at your status at the time of the stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.