FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:48 am
yurtripper

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Could someone please clarify one thing for me: I have now signed up for Marriott Platinum challenge and will complete it it Feb. Consequently, Platinum status is through end of Jan 2020. The same will be true for SPG Platinum, which matches Marriott automatically.

Now, during 2018 I am probably having about 15 stays with SPG. Does it make sense for me to try push it to 25 stays in terms of maintaining status from SPG side beyond Jan 2020 (which is secured by Marriott challenge anyway)? I am not gonna do needless mattress runs, but I will still need some considerable extra spending to move extra stays to SPG for that purpose. Or whatever stays I have during 2018 doesn't impact the validity of status, and if I want to keep Platinum beyond Jan 2020, I need to make 25 stays in 2019 (provided SPG program is still separate)?

P. S. I am new to SPG/Marriott program and do not know how this works, so please excuse me
You should in fact get status until February 2020 under the existing terms. That means there's no need to worry about pushing for 25 stays in SPG this calendar year.

As for keeping Plat beyond Feb 2020, all bets are off until the details emerge from Marriott as to what the qualifying rules will be in the unified program (i.e. what we'll need to do during 2019).