Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by navendu99
Another data point:

I just contacted US based customer service over the phone. I am Elite with at-least 15 stays and 30 nights. They said all challenges are cancelled as of August 26th of this year. I was really counting on being Gold for my up coming trips (free breakfast and such). Which would have easily been able to extend my Gold status.

Some people reporting other international customer service agents giving the Gold Challenge?
You only need 20 more nights this year to retain gold status. Also, your status is good through February of next year at least, right? So you will still have status for your upcoming trips this year.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
Just spoke with US customer service and was told no status match challenges as of 3 weeks ago.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: United Mileagplus
Actually I only have Silver status right now. What I wanted to do was get the Gold challenge and then meet the stay requirements and retain Gold for this and next year. I am pretty sure I will not have enough nights this year to meet minimum stay requirements for Gold. I could try the Ritz Carlton card for $395 annual fee; but I could probably have a lot of breakfast for $395 instead.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Actually I only have Silver status right now. What I wanted to do was get the Gold challenge and then meet the stay requirements and retain Gold for this and next year. I am pretty sure I will not have enough nights this year to meet minimum stay requirements for Gold. I could try the Ritz Carlton card for $395 annual fee; but I could probably have a lot of breakfast for $395 instead.
You could also get the Marriott Rewards Visa for 15 nights credit or book two meetings for 20 nights credit - check out this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:25 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
yeah so easy for people living in the us.... in europe there is no marriott cc which gives u 15 nights credit
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cln
yeah so easy for people living in the us.... in europe there is no marriott cc which gives u 15 nights credit
This game is always easier for US citizens... look at the Hyatt hotel... so so many in the US, but so few elsewere... at least there are quite a few Marriotts in Europe...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by mirror74
This game is always easier for US citizens... look at the Hyatt hotel... so so many in the US, but so few elsewere... at least there are quite a few Marriotts in Europe...
That's why I haven't done Hyatt Diamond challenge. Marriott has a lot of hotels in Europe - but they are not as cheap as those in the US. I usually run my challenge in the US.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:28 am

Another data point:

I just contacted US based customer service over the phone. I am Elite with at-least 15 stays and 30 nights. They said all challenges are cancelled as of August 26th of this year. I was really counting on being Gold for my up coming trips (free breakfast and such). Which would have easily been able to extend my Gold status.

Some people reporting other international customer service agents giving the Gold Challenge?
So...I'm in the middle of a platinum challenge, and I only have one night left to complete it. Will Marriott honor the challenge...I started it at the end of June.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by yhz123
So...I'm in the middle of a platinum challenge, and I only have one night left to complete it. Will Marriott honor the challenge...I started it at the end of June.
Yes, they should. I just completed the challenge and waiting for my final stay to post. I kept the plat status even after they took away the challenges.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska Air Mileage Plane
I just got off the phone with a MR Silver CSR. He didn't have any info on a replacement for the Platinum Challenge (the CSR I talked to a few weeks ago - I missed it by 3 weeks! - said something new would be coming "soon"), but he said he could offer me a "manual Gold Challenge" at 6 stays in 3 months.

I was bummed I waited because I would have easily completed the Platinum Challenge by the end of November, but I got greedy and decided to wait until the beginning of September to sign up to get December, too, just in case.

I didn't take the offer. I'm Hilton Gold and find those benefits much better (especially breakfasts and free wi-fi at Doubletree and Embassy Suites) so I canceled my Marriott reservations for next week and switched them over. I told him I would rather wait a few more weeks to see if a Platinum Challenge replacement comes out because I will be able to get 6 stays just in the last 2 weeks of October if it comes to that.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:40 pm

That's interesting. I wasn't even offered this manual challenge. I am only interested in the Gold Challenge. Can you provide some more details? And I will try to call into if I could get the challenge.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
It is called Road to Gold, I posted the details a few pages back.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
Question about obtaining Gold Status through Gold Challenge

I obtained Marriott Gold Status after finishing Gold Challenge in March 2013. I have 39 nights so far for this year, and probably won't hit the 50 nights Gold requirements for 2013. Do I still have Gold status on 1/1/2014? If not, how do I maintain Gold Status without staying 11 nights for the rest of the year?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Yes you will have Gold status on 1/1/2014...at least through 2/2014 when Marriott recalibrate their elite levels.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:36 pm

Do you know what may have triggered you getting this targeted offer? Also does calling customer service help get the offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.