Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
I don't completely agree, you only get the perks when you are at a hotel, so if someone doesn't stay at Marriott there is no extra cost for giving them status. They are not there to use the lounge nor they could pass their membership onto someone else so they could use the perks - so what's the big deal.
You are right... where is the loss for Marriott even is someone doesnt do 9 stays in 3 months...? Maybe he/she does only 4 stays, even as Platinum... he/she pays for her/his 4 stays, so Marriott still makes money... I agree its not much, not the big bucks, but still something.... I dont see the point... would they rather have no such income?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I also wonder if feedback from property owners (who in many ways are MHI's customers/clients) who were watching swelling elite ranks had any sway-- after all, those welcome points for Plats and the new weekend breakfasts (or points in lieu of breakfast), as marginal as they may be, do add to the property owners' costs.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: None - previously UA
A friend reported they were not able to offer any sort of challenge for any status. They agent apparently said they have discontinued all challenges until further notice. So targeted offers and special exceptions notwithstanding there is no challenge of any sort available at the moment.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nacho
I don't completely agree, you only get the perks when you are at a hotel, so if someone doesn't stay at Marriott there is no extra cost for giving them status.
Originally Posted by mirror74
... where is the loss for Marriott even is someone doesnt do 9 stays in 3 months...? Maybe he/she does only 4 stays, even as Platinum...
You're point is valid for general status matches and similar promos by airlines, hotels, etc. whereby the perks are only distributed if the recipient contributes revenue, thereby making the company more profitable, stable, and offer more to its clientele down the road. That's why I argue with people who whine about "dilution" when others are given a shortcut to status.

However, in this case, Marriott was offering something that lasted for a quarter of a year, could be timed with ease, and could be renewed annually. Also, hotel stays are easier to plan because they are changed/cancelled with no penalties (whereas you generally have to be more serious and planned regarding flights).

As a result, it was too easy to just invoke the instant status right when you needed it most (even if that period of intensity wouldn't be enough to extend it), use the perks, and throw it away. I advised several people to do that in recent months, and they did it with success. Lots of upgrades, free breakfasts, and the like. One family was able to flood the lounge with friends at a wedding without being caught, and as they aren't seasoned travelers, they didn't recognize how rude their actions were.

As for transferring perks.... by the book, you're correct, but in practice, it's extremely easy to do. If you have a friend with Platinum, it takes very little effort to stay under their account even if they're not around.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Marriott rewards elite challenge hasn't been discontinued, the only change is that you won't get status until you are done with your challenge.
So the same as the Plat Challenge on Starwood. About time honestly.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
a UA-silver actually got upgraded.................now that is news!!!!!!!!!!
(on doing a R-C taste of paltinum-she said she had to do an exception and ask her manager in order for me not to get the Gold.) Thank God as I now have a chance of UA status (I am not in a UA city at all, I am in Miami, but occasionally I get to a UA only city.)

Originally Posted by rodsren
(on doing a R-C taste of paltinum-she said she had to do an exception and ask her manager in order for me not to get the Gold.) Thank God as I now have a chance of UA status (I am not in a UA city at all, I am in Miami, but occasionally I get to a UA only city.)
They told me no more challenges, period. They said the same thing with Marriott, but when I called there was a 27 minute wait (I wanted to enroll my partner.) DAMN. Would have been sweet.

Originally Posted by mirror74
You are right... where is the loss for Marriott even is someone doesnt do 9 stays in 3 months...? Maybe he/she does only 4 stays, even as Platinum... he/she pays for her/his 4 stays, so Marriott still makes money... I agree its not much, not the big bucks, but still something.... I dont see the point... would they rather have no such income?

Last edited by bdschobel; Sep 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:43 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
I do think that offering the status upfront and allowing a challenge every year is a bit of a loophole.
But suspending it completely does make it a bit harder to switch. I want to move from Hilton to Marriott, in good faith, mainly because of the recent massive Hilton devaluation. But it makes it hard(er) when you have to give up the benefits (breakfast) for the duration of the challenge.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WAS
I do think that offering the status upfront and allowing a challenge every year is a bit of a loophole.
But suspending it completely does make it a bit harder to switch. I want to move from Hilton to Marriott, in good faith, mainly because of the recent massive Hilton devaluation. But it makes it hard(er) when you have to give up the benefits (breakfast) for the duration of the challenge.
I'm doing the challenge now, although I took it with the intention of completing it and I will finish it tomorrow. Marriott got their money's worth from me, but I think a good compromise would be to award the status during the challenge but only after the first four stays are completed. That way you get rid of the people who sign up for it just for their short vacation, but don't end up turning away people who will put stays in during the long run. I am also doing the four night Hilton challenge and I can tell you that it's tough for me to bring myself to complete, because of the no status I'd rather be at Marriott.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm doing the challenge now, although I took it with the intention of completing it and I will finish it tomorrow. Marriott got their money's worth from me, but I think a good compromise would be to award the status during the challenge but only after the first four stays are completed. That way you get rid of the people who sign up for it just for their short vacation, but don't end up turning away people who will put stays in during the long run. I am also doing the four night Hilton challenge and I can tell you that it's tough for me to bring myself to complete, because of the no status I'd rather be at Marriott.
Compare this to the Starwood Platinum challenge where you have to do 18 nights in 3 months with no status. IMO it's already a shortcut to the status, if that doesn't work just earn it the hard way with 75 nights. If you actually plan to spend a significant number of nights with the chain, putting in those 18 nights or whatever with not status is small change.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
similar response to my comment on no more immediate plat status when taking the plat challenge, a LONG overdue policy change.........
I guess I did it just in time (last June). Completed my 18th night (I asked for, and got, the nights challenge) a few days ago.

When I called, they looked up my account and saw several upcoming reservations (missing one), which helped.

I got a very nice suite upgrade at the final stay, too.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
+1000 (as if Hilton/SPG/Hyatt/etc would give Plissken, or anyone else, immediate equal status in their program for having Marriott S/G/P during one of their challenges !!)
I don't think I ever posted on FT about the time I got a suite upgrade at a Sheraton, given to me by Hyatt because I stayed at Marriotts often enough.

This was a number of years ago; Hyatt had just started Platinum Passport, and offered status to anybody with elite status in another program (hotel or airline). I faxed them my Marriott Gold card, and got Hyatt Platinum. Hyatt sent out coupons (remember paper?), one of which was for a United upgrade and status. I used that; United then sent coupon booklets to its status holders, one of which was for a suite upgrade at a Sheraton.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: Accor Platinium,IHG GOLD, HILTON GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD
Dear Mr XXX,

Greetings from Guangzhou Marriott Rewards.

According your stay record, we glad to offer a “Gold elite”Challenge promotion to you, details as below:

Challenge period: Current month, plus 3 additional months
Participation can only be offered once a year beginning from the end date of first challenge period
This includes any promotional offers
Members must stay required nights during challenge period in order to upgrade the status:
Gold -- 12 nights
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.
Thank you and have a great day!

Thanks & Best Regards,
Marriott Rewards Team.
Got this reply recently after being rejected by Malaysia and US customer service.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
You are right... where is the loss for Marriott even is someone doesnt do 9 stays in 3 months...? Maybe he/she does only 4 stays, even as Platinum... he/she pays for her/his 4 stays, so Marriott still makes money... I agree its not much, not the big bucks, but still something....
Considering the benefits they gave to you when you showed up as a Platinum member, they may not have made money. Breakfast, upgrades etc are NOT "free" to Marriott. They are expenses.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fieldeng
Considering the benefits they gave to you when you showed up as a Platinum member, they may not have made money. Breakfast, upgrades etc are NOT "free" to Marriott. They are expenses.
Yes, they are... but I doubt that those expences go above price paid per night... and at CY there are none such expences... no breakfast for Plat, internet is usually free for all, no real upgrade possibilities,... But maybe you are right and this stuff really costs more that room per night...
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:27 am

As stated earlier, it looks like the Gold/Platinum Challenges are officially back at Marriott, and under the same terms as before, except you don't get the status until you meet the stay requirement. .. at least that is what CS just told me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.