Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
frankly if you can secure gold somehow, you should be fine. I've found the benefits of platinum above gold minimal and nothing to get too worked up about. No big loss IMHO regarding the taste of plat. I won't be requalifying for plat this year and won't cry one tear over it.
With the influx of Golds from United I could see Marriott handling the CL like Hilton does and not making it automatic in the future.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Marriott confirmed this by email:
I apologize to inform you that Taste of Elite Challenges have been discontinued.

IMO, next to bite the dust will likely be legitimate point transfers done outside MRs stated R&Rs due to abuse and end-run data publically posted by others..........
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Marriott confirmed this by email:
I apologize to inform you that Taste of Elite Challenges have been discontinued.

IMO, next to bite the dust will likely be legitimate point transfers done outside MRs stated R&Rs due to abuse and end-run data publically posted by others..........
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Sounds like they moved from Taste of Gold promotions to Road to Gold. It appeared in my account a few weeks back.

You don't get status until you complete the challenge, but it is reduced compared to taste of gold.
Correct. You can still get Gold/Platinum by meeting the same requirements. The difference now is you have to meet them first, then get the status, rather than the other way around.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by mooper
Correct. You can still get Gold/Platinum by meeting the same requirements. The difference now is you have to meet them first, then get the status, rather than the other way around.
So, if I understand it right, there is still a challenge (Road to Gold/Platinum), but there is no immidiate status, you get benefits AFTER you complete the requirements... and requirements are the same as before?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest / Marriott Rewards / Delta Skymiles
"Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

I apologize to inform you that Taste of Elite Challenges are no longer available."

Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:09 am

If I am currently enrolled in the Platinum Challenge, can I still complete it and earn my Platinum status?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
sure........

Originally Posted by Boooma
If I am currently enrolled in the Platinum Challenge, can I still complete it and earn my Platinum status?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by mirror74
So, if I understand it right, there is still a challenge (Road to Gold/Platinum), but there is no immidiate status, you get benefits AFTER you complete the requirements... and requirements are the same as before?
If I'm reading a previous poster correctly, it's now a targeted offer via email.

Originally Posted by Boooma
I would think so.

Originally Posted by BoardingArea.com
The rep was quick to inform me that the challenges were no longer available. He said that they had received complaints from existing Platinum members because their benefits were being diluted by all of these new members who didn’t really earn their status.
So, MR listens and takes action on Plat complaints?

Seriously, what was really being taken away from butt-in-bed Golds and Plats? Upgrades? The FD staff can see how many nights / stays someone has.

Originally Posted by BoardingArea.com
The most interesting part of the conversation (to me) was when the rep specifically said that “sites like Flyertalk” were telling people to call and ask for the challenge.
It's all our fault. What does any company think is going to happen with an untargeted offer in the 2013 internet era?

Maybe when the dust settles they'll come back with a challenge anyone can ask for that needs proof of existing status somewhere else, and status granted after completion.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Maybe when the dust settles they'll come back with a challenge anyone can ask for that needs proof of existing status somewhere else, and status granted after completion.
+1^
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Official reply from Marriott Concierge at Chinese flyertalk

If you are interested, here's the page: http://www.flyertea.com/thread-201281-3-1.html post #52

万豪礼赏挑战计划并没有结束,只是在挑战期间不能够享受相关级别的会员待遇。
挑战活动需要根据会员账户里的入住记录而参加的。 详情请参阅以下信息:
现时级别 可挑战级别
Basic Silver
Silver Gold
Gold Platinum
Marriott rewards elite challenge hasn't been discontinued, the only change is that you won't get status until you are done with your challenge.

You can't ask for a Plat challenge if you are silver or below.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Seriously, what was really being taken away from butt-in-bed Golds and Plats? Upgrades? The FD staff can see how many nights / stays someone has.
I would guess, with the influx of Golds from the new UA partnership, seats in the lounge during peak times.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mirror74
Correct. I don't see what all the hubbub is about; it was a silly loophole for them to award status before seeing any follow-through. Certainly wasn't going to last because it would be too easy to get Plat, use for 90 days, sit idle for 270 days, then rinse and repeat... never needing to spend much.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:39 am

Correct. I don't see what all the hubbub is about; it was a silly loophole for them to award status before seeing any follow-through. Certainly wasn't going to last because it would be too easy to get Plat, use for 90 days, sit idle for 270 days, then rinse and repeat... never needing to spend much.
+1 ^
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I don't completely agree, you only get the perks when you are at a hotel, so if someone doesn't stay at Marriott there is no extra cost for giving them status. They are not there to use the lounge nor they could pass their membership onto someone else so they could use the perks - so what's the big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.