Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
4-stays in a weekend? Really...........tell us how, please.........
Sorry, didn't meant to imply a magical way to turn 2 days into 4. I left out "long", as in long weekend. There happens to be a CY and Marriott within a block of eachother in Beantown, so we're going to hop between the two for our 4 days in town.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K For Life; Marriot Gold (through United); Hilton Silver; misc. airlines
Will complete my Gold Challenge in the next couple of week by completing mattress run stays at nearby properties. Will report back on completion.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by love2ft
Try calling, I had only one upcoming stay (five nights) with Marriott prior to requesting the plat challenge and got it. Before that, I had only completed one stay (again five nights). I'm plat with Hyatt and BW, but the Marriott CSR never asked for any proof.
Unfortunately, I believe that ship has sailed for me (as I confirmed the silver challenge after being denied the Gold challenge twice) - plus, I now have booked the reminder of my next vacation with different (non-Marriott) hotels
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
After my numerous previous posts about this topic, I have a question that I just thought about, which is probably a dumb question..But here goes..

I was Silver and took the Taste of Gold Challenge in 2011 was able to achieve Gold for 2012. Now I am in the Platinum Challenge in 2012 trying to get Platinum for 2013. If I don't get Platinum, do I go back to Gold, or do I go back to Silver like I was before I took the Taste of Gold Challenge? I will most likely not get enough stays for the rest of this year to be "officially" Gold per the Marriott website...

Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I wouldn't push this issue too much. Technically, you should not have earned any points since YOU were not there. The loyalty program benefits are for YOUR stays and not anyone/everyone you know. Yes, the properties do mess up from time to time and there are tricks you can pull to make it happen more times than not. However, you need to be present to properly earn points/stay.
I actually called today just to "verify how many stays they had on my account since the challenge started" and this stay booked under my MR in Paris that my wife and friends used, not me, posted as a stay and points ^
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:51 am

think you'll find that although reservations can easily add you to the res your fiance made that they can't change the MR#, however if you contact the hotel directly, they can do both (or just make a new res in your name w your MR# and CXL the fiances res).............
I had the fiance call the hotel this morning to add my name and MR #, and they ended up just transferring her to reservations. Reservations said they could add my name, but that I would need to change the MR# when I showed up at the hotel.

I'm guessing that as long as I show up and change it to my MR# and earn points for the stay, it'll count as a night for the Taste of Gold challenge. Is that a reasonable assumption, or should I still try to get the hotel to change it beforehand?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, Enterprise
4-stays in a weekend? Really...........tell us how, please.........Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikow
I'll be able to knock out 4 stays just next weekend, which would be awesome.
Yes, i was wondering this too. Are you checking out and back in each day? Can you do that?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kelsier
Yes, i was wondering this too. Are you checking out and back in each day? Can you do that?
Two different hotels (hotel A and hotel B), a block apart. Check in A on Thursday, stay one night. Then check out and check into B on Friday. twice more, hotel A, then hotel B. 4 nights, 4 stays. It would be a lot less convenient if the hotels didn't happen to be a block from eachother, so this probably isn't usable for most people.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:44 pm
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
I have a reward and a paid stay at the same hotel on consecutive nights. Would the paid night count toward the challenge and Fall Megabonus promotion?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if the res is in YOUR name along with YOUR MR# and YOU pay for it, yes........

Originally Posted by DrG
I have a reward and a paid stay at the same hotel on consecutive nights. Would the paid night count toward the challenge and Fall Megabonus promotion?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:55 pm
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
BKKLEE, Thanks for the quick response.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:01 pm

if the res is in YOUR name along with YOUR MR# and YOU pay for it, yes........
Since you seem to know your stuff, may I ask if you think my first stay will count (fiance already put my name on the reservation along with hers, originally booked under her MR#) when I ask them to switch the reservation to my MR# at check-in and pay with Marriott GCs?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:10 pm
Suspended

THXs, but most here on FT would disagree......and they are entitled to their opinions - I have a VERY thick skin - but it doesn't work the opposite way.....

Since you seem to know your stuff
the hotel can change the MR# used for the res (prior to arrival or at checkin)...............once they do and you pay the bill, you should have no problem............

..... may I ask if you think my first stay will count (fiance already put my name on the reservation along with hers, originally booked under her MR#) when I ask them to switch the reservation to my MR# at check-in and pay with Marriott GCs?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:30 pm

the hotel can change the MR# used for the res (prior to arrival or at checkin)...............once they do and you pay the bill, you should have no problem............
Thanks. I'll give them a try again. My fiance called two days ago to add my name and change MR#s, and the hotel transferred her to the reservations #. I guess i'll just have to be persistent.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:36 pm
Suspended

as I prevously said, you can also do at checkin........

Thanks. I'll give them a try again. My fiance called two days ago to add my name and change MR#s, and the hotel transferred her to the reservations #. I guess i'll just have to be persistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.