Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by VA1379
They have started a guaranteed suite upgrade that is based in part on the level of the member's elite status for those who stay 50+ nights a year.
It is not guaranteed. You can put in a request up to 5 days before your stay that the property may or may not confirm.

Originally Posted by VA1379
I get the impression on FT that when things go real bad for customers at Starwood that there are situations where the customer is out of luck.
You can contact SPG by Chat, Twitter, or by phone 247. I have more bad stays with the Marriott than I have had with SPG and I have had around 600 nights with both (award nights included).

I just hate that Marriott Rewards customer service is only open during regular business hours and closed on Sunday. I presume that this is due to religious reasons being a Mormon run hotel company?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:42 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
I just hate that Marriott Rewards customer service is only open during regular business hours and closed on Sunday. I presume that this is due to religious reasons being a Mormon run hotel company?
I definitely agree with you on the limited hours for customer service. While I'm all for religious freedom, personal choice, etc, if you're going to be in the service industry, customer service should be based around your customers, not just your staff.

But with all that said, I've actually had more issues over the years with Starwood hotels not following their own rules than I have had with Marriott's. (I've had more than one hotel not honor the SPG 4PM guaranteed late check-out benefit. And to compound that problem, the SPG Plat line doesn't seem to know their own rules very well, including their supervisors.)

And my experience has been that Marriott hotels are much more likely to go above and beyond the base T&Cs and provide extra benefits. (i.e. I'm almost 100% at suite upgrades on CYs this year with about 50 nights, I also tend to get offers of both points AND choice of an item out of their store area or get 2 choices.) And BTW, my luck with suite upgrades at Starwood hotels (outside of the King Edwards in Toronto which isn't even a Starwood anymore) is almost nil. (Most of my stays are Westins and Sheratons in NA.)

So after being an SPG Plat for the last 4 years, I actually moved most of my business back to Marriott this year (with some stays at Hiltons due to my company's getting me comp'd to Gold there).
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by nothingclever
Earlier today I received a response from "Elite Member" which more or less stated ... we looked at your history and you are so not worthy... You have been rejected! He/she also mentioned that they do not status match.

A bit later on in the day, the second contact point "OnlineAccount" provided me with the acceptance and welcome to the "Taste of Gold" program. 6 stays by January 31st in order to keep the gold status for all of 2014.
I had a very similar experience receiving a rejection email followed by an acceptance email a couple hours later all in the same day for The Taste of Gold promotion.

I accepted the offer for Gold Status 7 days ago, however my online account still isn't showing Gold status yet. I have attempted to follow-up with Marriott twice since then (replying to the email with the offer) however they have gone unresponsive.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the account status to change online after accepting an offer for the Taste of Gold promotion? The email said it should take effect in 24-48 hours.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
When I did the challenge, the new level showed up pretty soon afterwards.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turbov6
I had a very similar experience receiving a rejection email followed by an acceptance email a couple hours later all in the same day for The Taste of Gold promotion.

I accepted the offer for Gold Status 7 days ago, however my online account still isn't showing Gold status yet. I have attempted to follow-up with Marriott twice since then (replying to the email with the offer) however they have gone unresponsive.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the account status to change online after accepting an offer for the Taste of Gold promotion? The email said it should take effect in 24-48 hours.
If it is done properly i.e. not fouled up at Marriott's end, the status would change within 24 hours.

I had the foul up by Marriott - the email was never responded so I called, the rep on the phone said he did not see ANY such offer attached to my account so he did it over the phone and told me I was all set and to expect an email confirmation in next 24-48 hours. The email never came. When I called back I was told my account was on the 12 nights instead of 6 stays. I told the rep that wasn't what I was told. The rep had to dig deeper and found the discrepancy. He then went to confer his supervisor, came back to tell me there was some miscommunication (from whom?!) but now my account was back to 6 stays - though it had to be MANUALLY done once I complete the requirement to call back and he would personally be responsible to monitor my account to ensure the Challenge is indeed successful.

I eventually called 2 days later just to make sure there were indeed proper notation in my account for the subsequent correction of the initial SNAFU. I was lucky to get a very helpful rep this time. She took it upon herself to verify everything and promised to send me an email confirmation to the effect. She even told me that all outgoing emails have to go thru another dept for "scrutiny to make sure everything going out is correct." (her words) so expect a couple days delay. The promised email did come and gave the correct starting date of the Challenge (by that time I already had my 1st stay).

So I would suggest you to call if you haven't received anything the next 2 days after you have accepted the offer.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 26, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Called up this morning and was enrolled in the Taste of Gold. Six stays will keep me there- have two right booked now (unfort 3 nights and then two- should have split the res up but wasn't planning on this originally)

50/50 shot of making it- might need some help with LNF to maximize potential compared to other chains.
Seems I made it due to a few good LNF rates in HNL with hotel hopping and one last one in ANC (a bit of a mattress run) to seal the deal. Just waiting for the last one to post- too bad its all been CY so far- hope for a FS property or two in 2013...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by evapor8

I'm 2 stays in (Brussels Marriott and Renaissance LHR) and already have a free cat 1-4 night cert thanks to the Megabonus!

Chris

Couple of quick questions:

1. How come some people are offered stays and some are offered nights? Is it at the discretion of Marriott?

2. How/where do you get certificates for stays? Is that if you choose to earn miles rather than points?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Flapster
Couple of quick questions:

1. How come some people are offered stays and some are offered nights? Is it at the discretion of Marriott?

2. How/where do you get certificates for stays? Is that if you choose to earn miles rather than points?
1. The recent challenge mostly based on stays, some do still report about nights...No harm to make a request.

2. If you mean cat1-4 free night cert by registering for Megabonus, then yes, you have to set your earning preference as earning points...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
1. The recent challenge mostly based on stays, some do still report about nights...No harm to make a request.

2. If you mean cat1-4 free night cert by registering for Megabonus, then yes, you have to set your earning preference as earning points...

Thanks.

1. No complaints from me. I registered for the gold challenge and got 'nights' offered to me. Made it quite easily, and am now pushing for platinum (was late to the party!).

2. Is it maybe just for US residents? I am earning points, and registered for the Megabonus (have made it, 40,000 points). Saw no mention of free night certificates? Anything I can do to follow up on this?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flapster
Thanks.

1. No complaints from me. I registered for the gold challenge and got 'nights' offered to me. Made it quite easily, and am now pushing for platinum (was late to the party!).

2. Is it maybe just for US residents? I am earning points, and registered for the Megabonus (have made it, 40,000 points). Saw no mention of free night certificates? Anything I can do to follow up on this?
Points are more valuable than free night cert which is limited to cat 4 and capped at 3 in total. Points dont expire versus certs expire in a year (better than before when they expired in 6 months!) Quite a number of PLATs here wish they could switch their cat 4 free night cert offer to point bonuses. If you can amass boatload of points the travel package redemption offers the best value.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: United
has anyone used gift cards for the challenge?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
no problem PROVIDED the hotel you're staying at is a participating property....

Originally Posted by opusone
has anyone used gift cards for the challenge?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold,SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Can I Buy back gold if I fail plat challenge

I am gold at the moment and am thinking of doing the platinum challenge. I have 28 nights this year. If I fail the platinum challenge can I still buy back gold
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
this question has been asked, and answered before.............in the pastyears members were able to buy back status for as I recall 25,000MR points, but just because this ability was available before does not mean it will be available again after the close of 2012............ from other posters here on FT, MRs was no longer offering gold/plat challenges - have you found out from MR differently???????

Originally Posted by nabright
I am gold at the moment and am thinking of doing the platinum challenge. I have 28 nights this year. If I fail the platinum challenge can I still buy back gold
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Can I Buy back gold if I fail plat challenge

I bought my gold status back a few months ago and it cost me 40k points. Apparently the 25k deal was only during that promotion period early on in the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.