Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This might help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ll-2012-a.html

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
Beware of this. If you should call to do a challange next year, you will be told you are not eligable becuase you have already had one within the past 12 months. It doesnt matter that you didnt ask for this one. At best, they will offer you what they consider an exception, where you make the same number of stays but don't get the status until you have completed all of them.

I suggest that if you dont want Gold this way, you call them, tell them you don't want this challange and have it removed. Ask them to document your account and get the name of the rep you speak with.

TW
I'm hoping there's some exceptions to this rule. I was given a platinum renewal challenge where I needed to complete 18 nights between October 1st and December 31st. I only completed 4 nights in November and 4 nights in December. However, I'll be spending 10 nights at Marriott hotels in January and another 10 in February. My Platinum benefits go through February 2012 (so that's good news) but I'm hoping to figure out a way to come out of this deal with at least guaranteed Gold for the rest of the year.

Any chance Marriott will let me exclude October and include January in the challenge? That would be exactly 18 nights. Alternatively, I've seen some advertisements to sign up for Gold challenges that require 12 nights in 3 months. Will those work for me?

Last question. I'll be spending 6 of those nights at a Marriott Executive Apartments. The website says 1 elite night per 3 nights stay (seems ridiculous considering it's more expensive to stay at the apartments). But for these challenges, does that still count as 6 nights?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
2010 Gold Challenge Completed: rollover nights?

Thanks to this forum, I was able to find out about the Gold Challenge and completed 12 nights in the 3 month period to retain Gold status through 2/12.

My total number of nights for 2010 was 19. Shouldn't I still receive 9 rollover nights for 2011?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Thanks to this forum, I was able to find out about the Gold Challenge and completed 12 nights in the 3 month period to retain Gold status through 2/12.

My total number of nights for 2010 was 19. Shouldn't I still receive 9 rollover nights for 2011?
A little greedy are we, want faux Gold status and rollovers for being Silver
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:53 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
If your status at the end of 2010 was gold then you only roll over anything above that status (50 nights). It doesn't matter whether you earned gold from 50+ nights during 2010 or qualified from a "taste of gold" promo. If you are gold you only rollover anything above the 50 night level.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:46 pm

A little greedy are we, want faux Gold status and rollovers for being Silver
I'm a HHonors transplant which is why I got the Gold Challenge.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by LKO
If your status at the end of 2010 was gold then you only roll over anything above that status (50 nights). It doesn't matter whether you earned gold from 50+ nights during 2010 or qualified from a "taste of gold" promo. If you are gold you only rollover anything above the 50 night level.
Actually, that's not what happened to me, interestingly enough.

I was granted Gold status under the HSBC promo, and thus was listed as Gold on the 31st of December. However, of the 18 nights I actually stayed in 2010, 8 of them rolled over, the same as if I had been Silver. So the temporary status does not seem to affect your rollover nights.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:49 pm

So the temporary status does not seem to affect your rollover nights.
Similarly, with Delta if you qualify for Gold on segments, you still receive rollover miles at the Silver level.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
I was at 48 nights last year with the Air China gold promo...will not complete the gold challenge and the status should lapse sometime in March. However, my account rolled over 38 nights to 2011 as if I was a silver member...only 12 nights and it'll be an easy gold "re-qual" for me
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Interestingly my experience was totally different.

I moved to Marriott about June last and immediately got the 'taste of gold' or whatever from the marriott concierge. I then stayed 39 nights from June through Dec. My rollover nights were 0.

I suspect the only reason others may have rolled over is that somehow the system is still regarding their gold membership as 'temporary' ?

i.e. my guess is - if you are still in your three month 'gold trial' (whether or not you have stayed the 12 nights so that the trial will be extended) you will rollover as a silver.

If after your three month trial you have stayed the 12 nights you are moved to a fuill gold, and hence will only rollover nights above 50?

Just a theory, but would seem to correlate with my experiences.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:26 am

So what Marriott is saying is that if you do not maintain the same status level, you receive no rollover nights?

If in 2009 I earned Gold Status through 2/2010 via 54 nights I would have rolled over 4 nights to 2010. So say then I stayed 17 nights in 2010, I am now a Silver with 7 rollover nights, right??

Doesn't seem to be the case...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rollover nights kick in after you requalify for current status. I think it's rather greedy to expect Marriott to reward you for not requalifying.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Rollover nights kick in after you requalify for current status. I think it's rather greedy to expect Marriott to reward you for not requalifying.
I don't know why re-qualifying would have anything to do with it. If you earned a plat for the year 20X6 (by staying 75 nights in 20X5), then stayed 60 nights in 20X6, why wouldn't you start 20X7 with gold status and 10 rollover nights?

I think this is a very different scenario than those who earned gold via promotion and aren't rolling anything because they stayed less than 50 nights.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Similarly, with Delta if you qualify for Gold on segments, you still receive rollover miles at the Silver level.
This doesn't appear to be the case this year, unfortunately.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:52 pm

I still qualified, as a silver. How is this complicated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.