Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by aap
Two options that can get you night many nights quickly are:
1. Sign up for a Marriott Rewards Visa -- I signed up for the Premier version and got 15 nights added to my account plus 30K points
2. Host a meeting and get 10 nights per meeting. Depending on the property a 1-2 hour meeting room is only $100.

You might want to check with Marriott Rewards Customer Service to confirm that either of the above is sufficient to meet your minimum number of nights.
I think for challenges require actually nights. Nights awarded through credit cards or of the like promotion should not be eligible. I would think it is the same with meeting rooms. The whole idea of the challenge is to see if the member will meet marriotts "percentage" I guess you could say as far as staying per year.
I could be wrong but from my point of view he would actually need to do a few mattress runs.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta - DM, National Executive, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by aap
Two options that can get you night many nights quickly are:
1. Sign up for a Marriott Rewards Visa -- I signed up for the Premier version and got 15 nights added to my account plus 30K points
2. Host a meeting and get 10 nights per meeting. Depending on the property a 1-2 hour meeting room is only $100.

You might want to check with Marriott Rewards Customer Service to confirm that either of the above is sufficient to meet your minimum number of nights.
Confirmed, the meeting idea won't work. I am in the same boat as the OP
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by davo89
Confirmed, the meeting idea won't work. I am in the same boat as the OP
Can I ask why the meeting idea won't work? It's worked for many of us recently. How hard could it be to get a few friends together for a meeting?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jan_az
is PLT worth $350 ( assuming you could find $50 a night marriots over gold?
Since OP signed up for Plat Challenge, I believe if s/he doesn't make it s/he falls back to Silver. Others who have RLE should be able to confirm or deny this. So if I am correct in my understanding, then in the OP's case the question would be is Plat vs Silver worth $350.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:48 am

As a plat I don't think it's worth much. At least so far to me it hasnt' been worth much.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond / UA Silver / IHG Platinum
Clarification of creative math

20-13=7 not five
Hah! I'm bad at arithmetic, but not that bad I should have clarified, Marriott offered me platinum for 18 nights, which I thought I had in the bag with my anticipated 20 nights upcoming. Thanks for keeping me honest.
And thanks for all the responses.
I dont think the Visa or meeting options will satisfy the challenge. From Marriott:
Once 18 paid nights post to your account during the trial dates, your Platinum Elite level will be extended through February 2013. I apologize that bonus Elite nights from other activities or promotions do not count toward this special offer.

If the status is extended, a new membership card will be issued and should arrive within four to six weeks. You would then need to have at least 75 Elite nights post to your account in 2012 to renew this status for all of 2013.

Thank you for taking the opportunity to experience Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
If you're doing 13-20 nights a year, no PLT is not worth it. At 30+, I believe it has good value. I usually get a jr suite, breakfasts and free inet are nice. But I live in hotels, so...
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Can you call them and see if they can do something about putting back to a gold challenge ? If you do not ask, they can't say no. At least call and explain the circumstances. No harm.

To me the biggest benefit is free internet and that comes for gold and platinums. Sure there are other benefits, but gold is fairly good with Marriott.

Cheers.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:57 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
I agree you should try to get the gold challenge. There isn't much difference between gold & plat.

I haven't had many upgrades to suites (couple of jr. suites) but the free breakfast in Europe has been great. Saved us lots of $$ on trips to Copenhagen, Paris, Barcelona, & Rome (twice). I had my teenage son in Rome and we stayed at the Grand Flora. We were upgraded to a jr. suite and had free breakfast (30 euros each) every morning on the top floor overlooking Rome. That alone saved us almost $90 per day.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Here's a link comparing mid-tier status at various hotel chains:

http://travelsort.com/blog/how-to-co...elite-benefits

I agree with the author: the difference between gold and plat at Marriott is negligible. Certainly not worth 7 or 8 mattress runs. Gold gets you everything Plat does at Marriott, except for upgrade to suite, and even then, plats only get that based on availability at check-in, which is hit or miss at best and varies greatly by property.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:58 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
It times like this when I am glad I am Lifetime Platinum at Marriott.

This year, I finally received my hard-earned Lifetime Platinum card. It even came with a personalized letter from Bill Jr...
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
It times like this when I am glad I am Lifetime Platinum at Marriott.

This year, I finally received my hard-earned Lifetime Platinum card. It even came with a personalized letter from Bill Jr...
And this contributes to the OP's discussion.... how? But thanks for sharing. We're all real proud of you.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by michaelpatton2001
Confident that I would have 20 or more nights in the next 90 days, I requested a Platinum challenge with Marriott. My schedule has changed, and with it some of my company-chosen hotels have changed, leaving me with only 13 nights to be completed at Marriott properties before the challenge ends June 30th. (20/20 hindsight: I should have settled for the 12-night Gold challenge)
Any opinions on whether paying to mattress run five more nights for Marriott Platinum is worth it? And where can I find the cheapest rates for such a run? (i keep seeing FTers mention $49/night Marriotts - no idea where they are)
Its only through FT that I ever found out about these challenges, so I hope FT can help.
By the way, in the future if you end up getting this close, it might be a better strategy for you to skip the challenge, and use meetings to get to platinum. Marriott credits you with 10 elite qualifying nights per meeting, and you can usually find some nearby Marriott property that will agree to host a meeting for $100. The full service Mariott near me wants at least $200, but the Courtyard, which is right down the street, said that if I was going to have regular meetings, they'd do it for $100. I scheduled a meeting "once a month" for three months, spent $300, and got credit for 30 nights.

If all you have is 13 nights total, you could still get some use out of them by signing up for the Chase Premier Visa:
http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/ma...ds/time100/G6G

This will get you another 15 nights credit (each year), plus a 30,000 MR points sign up bonus with first spend. You'll have 28 nights total at that point. Two meetings gets you to 48 nights, and throw in just two more mattress runs and now you're at Gold. As I mentioned above Gold gets you nearly everything that Plat does. But if it's Plat or bust, you could still sched meetings all the way to Plat, which for you - after your Visa sign up - would be 5 total meetings for $500. That's still far less expensive than it would be to meet your Plat challenge with mattress runs. Food for thought.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Personally, if I was you and could find a hotel where it was possible to stay for just $50 per night for either five or seven more nights, as necessary, then I would do it, because to me, being Platinum is worth far more than $250 or $350 per year. Just this last weekend, staying at the Marriott Hunt Valley Inn outside of Baltimore, where they give breakfast coupons to Plats on the weekend, they asked me how many coupons I wanted, and I asked for two per day for two days, instead they gave me SIX coupons, which I used to host four family members for breakfast on Sunday, at $17/person, a value of $102 for six coupons. Not too bad.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Any fast way to get status?

So I'm sure I'm probably out of luck here, but I have a 6 might reservation coming up at the Marriott in St. Thomas VI and am wondering if there's any way to quicky get status (even low silver) quickly. I am normally a SPG guy but this time i couldn't justify the high cost of the Westin there.

Are there any fast track promos out there right now? Anything I can to do get a quick status boost? Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.