Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt
Is this retroactive?
I have 4 stays so far over the last 30 days. Would I just need 8 more in the next 60 days, or does the whole "gold match" start at zero nights and 90 days when you sign up?
Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by pm6163
What number did you call? I requested a Plat Challenage by email, but was denied, saying Marriott does not have "Status Match" program.
It's the Silver Customer Service line. Are you currently an elite silver? I heard that people who got into the Marriott Platinum because they used to be a Platinum/Gold before. I have had 17 nights so far, and I know I will have about 10-15 depending on the weekends of Nov 2010. That's why I think fast-track gold would be more appropriate than fast-track platinum.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Alumino
Is this retroactive?
I have 4 stays so far over the last 30 days. Would I just need 8 more in the next 60 days, or does the whole "gold match" start at zero nights and 90 days when you sign up?
Thanks!
Again, this depends on whether you are currently a silver or not. If not, then I'd guess it might be a little tough. On top of that, you have to ask them whether it's possible to make an extension for retroactive stays. I believe it's not always possible. I am planning to do AA PLT challenge and I just heard one AA customer representative who would be able to help me on retroactive flights from July, but I wasn't planning to count July in, so it didn't matter anyway.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by thinze3
This is Marriott's typical "Taste of Gold" promotion and is a truly good deal.
That's right, that's why I go for it. Otherwise, I'd just push all the nights to Hyatt for the 3k AA bonus miles until the Megabonus comes. Also, a jump from Silver to Gold is really HUGE. At least you can save $13-$15 for the internet if you go for Marriott/Renaissance/JW brands.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Ooh - a thought just hit me.

I'm a Marriott timeshare owner. Occasionally, I'm able to arrange 2 Marriott timeshare weeks in a row (that's 14 days).

I currently have Gold status. But if I did not (and I did not when I actually did this last year), would it be possible to call and arrange a Gold Challenge shortly before my timeshare stays?
Would you mind telling me what exactly the timeshare owner means? If you own a property of Marriott(means that way..?!), I think you don't even have to worry about it?!?! But I bet I am guessing it wrong...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt
I called up the Silver Elite line and asked about this promotion. I was told I have the rest of August and then the next three months (i.e. until 30 Nov) to get my 12 nights in... unfortunately, not retroactive for my recent 4 nights. Plus I'm gold during those 3.5 months. Not a bad deal!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:50 am

Programs: PC Plat Am, Accor GOLD, Hilton Gold
Thanks OP. Emailed Marriott for the challenge and got it too.. Have an exact 12 days Marriott stay coming up. 55K delta + gold till Feb 2012. Very nice.^
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: MAR TE ... UA PS
Hmmm? I wonder if Marriott offers a Taste of Platinum.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:56 pm

I currently have 45 nights. I don't think I'll be travelling much for work, but in October, I have a reservation at the Grand Bohemian in Asheville. Do you know if I could do this before hand, get those nights, then get the remaining to gold and not have to get 12 for gold? Does that make sense? Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I called and got this challenge about a month ago. All I did was call the standard Marriott Rewards number, told them I was Hilton Diamond and wanted to try Marriott. They instantly gave me the gold challenge, didn't ask for any proof or anything. It was a great deal. Did my 12 stays, got the Gold for all of next year, and picked up the 60k delta miles at the same time. Now back to Hilton, for now.......
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
When I called I had no status and 1 night for the year/lifetime with Marriott.
(This was in July) I asked if they would match my hyatt plat with gold, or offer me a challenge. Rep said no they dont do that, i disagreed, and then he told me that they used to offer it but not anymore.
I called back the next day and said the same thing, and the CSR offered me the gold challenge. I have 6 nights since then with another 6 thru Sept.

I called today and asked to be switched to plat, supervisor came on the line and told me I need to first complete the gold challenge and then they would offer me a plat challenge of 18 nights. I truly believe that if I pushed the issue I could get a plat challenge now.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
Paulakers2010, thanks for this thread. I never knew that anything like a "Gold Challenge" existed. As a lowly Silver, but with plans to stay around 20 nights during the next three months in a Marriott I just gave them a call. They told me that from tomorrow I have Gold status and only need to stay 12 nights to keep my status through next year. FT once again comes through with valuable information.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stallion114

I called today and asked to be switched to plat, supervisor came on the line and told me I need to first complete the gold challenge and then they would offer me a plat challenge of 18 nights. I truly believe that if I pushed the issue I could get a plat challenge now.
I completed Gold Challenge Recently and emailed them and asked to be included in PLAT challenge. I was turned down and indicated that that you can only have one. It would be good to hear if you can get that as well.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: aa EXP, dl GM, mar LTPLT, hh DIA, spg PLT, ich AMB, nat EE, hertz PC
I am HH dia and SPG plat.. when I wanted to do the marriott challenge, i sent an email to marriott.. (pm me and I will send to you) When I made the request, sent screenshots of both my hilton and spg accounts and all I had to do was the 18 nights..
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver Elite
For the gold challenge, can you only earn 1 stay per night? E.g. If you booked 2 rooms, would you get 2 nights credit towards the gold challenge?

The reason I ask is that we're heading to Ko Olina Beach club for a week and my parents are thinking of coming. If I booked 2 rooms would I get 14 nights credit towards the challenge in 1 week's time?

Somehow I think not but want to confirm with the gurus out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.