Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:48 am

Here's what I did to get the Platinum Challenge:

1) Log into the Marriott site with your account.
2) On the bottom footer, where it says "customer service", click on the online communication / email link.
3) Choose a category of Elite Services.
4) Provide your details about why you want the challenge / should qualify.

Note: If you request the Gold challenge, it's a 12 night minimum instead of 50. If you want the Platinum challenge, then it's an 18 night minimum. Keep in mind it's 18 nights once the status kicks in, so your current eligible nights don't count towards the elite challenge.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond
Challenge Plats treated differently?

I am currently a Diamond at Hyatt and am trying to switch over to Marriott as it is more convenient for my current travel. After emailing MR, I was offered instant Plat status and an 18 night in 90 day challenge to maintain through Feb 2012. I checked in yesterday for my first stay and the front desk agent barely mentioned my status. I'm not a snob by any means but he also neglected to mention that I have access to the Concierge club or where it was located(I had to ask a colleague where it was). Furthermore, I believe that I have one of the smallest rooms in the entire hotel. I took a look at my (Gold status) colleague's room and it was easily twice the size.

Could this treatment be a result of being a challenge Plat as opposed to a "real" Plat? Could it be because I have never stayed at this property before?

I am not entirely satisfied and got much better treatment at Hyatt as a Diamond(on top of the standard amenities, they knew my name and said hello every morning).

Should I say something on checkout?

Thanks everyone
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you actually a Plat? Or are you on a challenge (meaning that you'll receive Platinum status after 18 nights)?

Usually when companies do status match challenges, you don't have the status until you actually complete the challenge. As this was your first stay, my guess is that you aren't actually a Platinum as yet.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Are you actually a Plat? Or are you on a challenge (meaning that you'll receive Platinum status after 18 nights)?
I am actually a Plat until Nov 30. I need to complete 18 nights by then to maintain it until Feb 2012. The front desk agent mentioned my status as a Plat by saying "I see your Platinum status" but that was the extent of it.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Challenge platinums are immediately Platinum and if the 18 nights aren't completed, they drop down to their Gold (pre-challege) level. I don't think that hotels can see whether or not you are a challenge platinum - I finished mine at the end of July and throughout my stays did not have an issue.

Your issues probably are more based on occupancy, the fact you stayed in one property only (so far) and rate paid maybe? I've had comments at hotels where I've scored low rates and they did comment on it. Not sure if this affects upgrades.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by patchan8984
Your issues probably are more based on occupancy, the fact you stayed in one property only (so far) and rate paid maybe? I've had comments at hotels where I've scored low rates and they did comment on it. Not sure if this affects upgrades.
I've personally never noticed a difference in my upgrade chances based on my paid rate (which quite often can be very low.)

But I do agree that the room differences could be because of occupancy levels, length of stay, or even when you checked-in (note that if a hotel has a limited number of larger rooms, if they were all handed out before you checked-in or not cleaned yet, then you might not get one where someone else did.)

If you are unsatisfied with you room type, I would suggest asking to talk with a manager and let them know. Its possible that while a better room wasn't available when you checked-in, one now might be available.

And it is concievable that different front desk agents have different levels of competency, training, emotional maturity levels, etc. Which could mean you had a new agent and they didn't know to upgrade you, forgot to, or just didn't know how, etc. That does not mean it was OK for that person to not get you the upgrade, but if you talk with the manager, s/he might be able to figure out what happened and make sure the agent get the training needed, or whatever change needs to happen.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01

But I do agree that the room differences could be because of occupancy levels, length of stay, or even when you checked-in (note that if a hotel has a limited number of larger rooms, if they were all handed out before you checked-in or not cleaned yet, then you might not get one where someone else did.)
Fair enough. I checked in at 11 AM so that might have been the only room available.

However, I don't think it is excusable to forget to mention the access to the Concierge lounge. IMO, that is one of the most important amenities for Elite members. This being my first stay in a Marriott, I honestly wasn't sure whether or not I had access until I asked my colleague what floor it was on and tried my room key in the elevator. It seems like this is something that all front desk agents should know to mention.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by bhatnasx

Usually when companies do status match challenges, you don't have the status until you actually complete the challenge. As this was your first stay, my guess is that you aren't actually a Platinum as yet.
You are granted Plat and have to stay 18 nights within 3 months (a bit more actually) to maintain it for the next program year. I was on a challenge but did not meet the requirement as I jumped to SPG and Hyatt for the AA promotions.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
associates can only see what your status is at time of check-in, they can not see how you earned the status or how long you will have it for
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by socrates
associates can only see what your status is at time of check-in, they can not see how you earned the status or how long you will have it for
Can they see lifetime nights or number of nights so far this year? That might cause some difference in the approach to the customer.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Can they see lifetime nights or number of nights so far this year? That might cause some difference in the approach to the customer.
gosh you're going back a ways for me with this question but I know they can see nights at the current hotel and total nights this year but I'm pretty confident they aren't able to see lifetime totals (I know they can't tell the difference between lifetime status and for lack of a better term 'normal' status)

Typically a hotel will be most loyal to their regulars (ie a plat staying 30 times in a year will be upgraded before a plat who's never stayed at the hotel before...but that plat who's never stayed will certainly be upgraded before a gold who's stayed 40 nights at the hotel)
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm a Plat Premier and my experience is that check in can be very hit and miss, ranging from almost dismissive (sadly all too frequent) through mechanistic to being welcomed like a long lost friend.

I guess I only get told about upgrades and exec lounge less than 50% of the time, so if you haven't been, then it's down to the agent, not your status.

FWIW, I'm tracking my upgrades here which gives you an idea of the range of welcomes at different hotels (or even the same hotel on different days).
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
It sounds like maybe you didn't receive your platinum amenity, which entitles you to $100 (at fs properties), if you claim it before checkout.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Checkin time can have alot to do with what room you get. I've stayed at the same hotel and gotten a better room Sunday night than Monday night. It just depends on what's available.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by socrates
Typically a hotel will be most loyal to their regulars (ie a plat staying 30 times in a year will be upgraded before a plat who's never stayed at the hotel before...but that plat who's never stayed will certainly be upgraded before a gold who's stayed 40 nights at the hotel)
I dont know if what you have said (the bold part) is true. A hotel may very well upgrade a Gold that stays 40 nights at their hotel before a Plat who has never stayed at that hotel. Hotels have a lot of leeway as far as elite upgrades go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.