Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plat Challenge ? ---

OK I didn't find much in search.

I slipped to Gold the last two years but my travel has picked back up quite a bit this year. I was hoping to get a plat challenge to pick up Plat a little more quickly (I'm at 30 nights this year before the 15 credit card) but was told that the challenge is only for people who were plat last year?

Is that right?

*What kind of compensation should I ask for? JK!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by annerj
OK I didn't find much in search.

I slipped to Gold the last two years but my travel has picked back up quite a bit this year. I was hoping to get a plat challenge to pick up Plat a little more quickly (I'm at 30 nights this year before the 15 credit card) but was told that the challenge is only for people who were plat last year?

Is that right?

*What kind of compensation should I ask for? JK!
Why don't you call Marriott Rewards and ask them about a Platinum challenge? They'd know better than we would! You usually can do a Plat Challenge just by asking them to set it up. If they say no, I'm not sure what else can be done.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:49 am

Programs: Delta,AA,Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold
Thanks for bringing that up, I was wondering the same thing. By May 1st I will have 31 nights before the 15 nights bonus. I didn't know I could even ask for this. TIA
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't remember anything about a Plat challenge only being for someone who was a Plat the year before. I suspect that if you can show Marriott that you are again travelling significantly and can show them some reservations to show that, they may be more likely to give you a Challenge.

Also, based on posts in this forum, there seems to be some widely differing experiences based on different agents one talks with. So if you don't get an answer you like when you ask, hang up and try again.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by judolphin
Why don't you call Marriott Rewards and ask them about a Platinum challenge? They'd know better than we would! You usually can do a Plat Challenge just by asking them to set it up. If they say no, I'm not sure what else can be done.

"But was told" = I called marriott and that is what they told me. Who did you think told me that?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
So if you don't get an answer you like when you ask, hang up and try again.
So true. Per a PM suggestion I sent a note to Marie and she was able to put me on the challenge.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I suspect that if you can show Marriott that you are again travelling significantly and can show them some reservations to show that, they may be more likely to give you a Challenge.
I thought that was the case also but not so over the phone (I'm at 30+ nights for the year with at least that many coming up in the next few months).
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: OnePass Gold, Marriott Platinum
Platinum challenge approved

I sent an email through the Marriott website and was approved for a platinum challenge last week. I was upgraded to Platinum and need to stay 18 nights in 3 months to keep the upgrade. Hopefully this helps. Also, I did call Marriott and was denied before sending that email out.^
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I didn't bother calling, but emailed as well about 3 weeks ago. Same offer as above, 18 nights stayed in a 90 day period. I hadn't stayed at all at a Marriott this year and only stayed last year maybe 10 nights, so certainly wasn't Plat last year. I wasn't offered status during the offer period (even after specifically asking), maybe that's because I've been Plat in the past (about 5 years ago or so). After completing 18 nights (yes, even though only starting 3 weeks ago...) I emailed the same person that setup the offer for me and I had Plat the next working day.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
The Plat challenge certainly does work. I was granted the challenge on 23 Feb and just received this message:

Congratulations on achieving the Platinum Elite challenge!

Your Platinum Elite status has been extended through January 31, 2012 and your credentials are being processed which should arrive in the mail in four to six weeks.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:58 pm

Follow-up Letter from Marriott

I just got a follow-up letter from Marriott that said:

"You were recently upgraded to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for a limites time as part of a special promotional offer. UNFORTUNATELY, there wa a programmigng error that caused the expiration date on the Gold card you received to be incorrect. We apologize for any confusion this has caused." It then states that the gold card should have expired June 30, 2010 and not February, 2012.

Don't get too excited if you have received this card, as it might have been in error.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by goonly
I just got a follow-up letter from Marriott that said:

"You were recently upgraded to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for a limites time as part of a special promotional offer. UNFORTUNATELY, there wa a programmigng error that caused the expiration date on the Gold card you received to be incorrect. We apologize for any confusion this has caused." It then states that the gold card should have expired June 30, 2010 and not February, 2012.

Don't get too excited if you have received this card, as it might have been in error.

Got same letter today... thought the card was too good to be true

Oh well.. 4 nights done.. 8 to go before the deadline to keep it...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I have requested a platinum challenge over email...do you know if this is offered anytime and if I do it now, will it only be good until 2/2011? or will it be good till 2/2012.

any clarification would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:38 am

Did anybody receive a letter from Marriott explaining that they made a mistake in the terms of the original promotion? I did, but threw it out. Just wondering if other people received this...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Once you are granted the challenge, you have roughly three months to complete it. While performing the challenge, you are temporarily assigned the higher status. Should you complete the challenge successfully, your status will become valid until February 1, 2012. Should you fail to complete the challenge successfully you will revert to your original status.

I recently finished my Platinum Challenge and received this message in an email:

Congratulations on achieving the Platinum Elite challenge!

Your Platinum Elite status has been extended through January 31, 2012 and your credentials are being processed which should arrive in the mail in four to six weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.