Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by draerospace
how long does it take to reflect the new member status?
For me, it was less than 6 hours.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
I accepted the 9 stays one as well and new status was updated in about 24 hours. Now I feel kind of stupid because this means I have to check in/out every day and stay somewhere else every second night on some of my trips to achieve the 9 stays but maybe I get some great perks and feel better about it later
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I have stayed only 1 night previously with Marriott, called up and was offered Taste of Gold (not Plat) with 9 stays (not nights). Obviously I declined. Am currently Diamond at Hyatt and Gold at Hilton, but don't have either of those 2 close to where I work.

I have a 30 (continuous) night stay coming up (possibly longer) and will likely move over to a nearby Starwood. I don't understand the move by Marriott to require stays instead of nights. How is a 9 stay customer, average 2-3 nights/stay, more valuable than a 30 night customer? Is there a Marriott rep on FT?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by santhosh.kharvi
I have stayed only 1 night previously with Marriott, called up and was offered Taste of Gold (not Plat) with 9 stays (not nights). Obviously I declined. Am currently Diamond at Hyatt and Gold at Hilton, but don't have either of those 2 close to where I work.

I have a 30 (continuous) night stay coming up (possibly longer) and will likely move over to a nearby Starwood. I don't understand the move by Marriott to require stays instead of nights. How is a 9 stay customer, average 2-3 nights/stay, more valuable than a 30 night customer? Is there a Marriott rep on FT?
Because perhaps they want to grow the membership of the progrram -- for better or worse -- and by offering a 9 stay requirement more potential members can take advantage of this offer.

In addition, as I have said on another thread, I think they are going to roll out a new list of benefits like SPG did just before the voting for Frequency programs, and more people voting positively for them will tip the balance. I believe this is the first year they did not win anything.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

In addition, as I have said on another thread, I think they are going to roll out a new list of benefits like SPG did just before the voting for Frequency programs, and more people voting positively for them will tip the balance. I believe this is the first year they did not win anything.
They did not win in the Flyertalk Awards. I think part of that was some of what they were up for, which weren't necessarily Marriott's strengths, and part due to FTers being more cognizant of the cutbacks & screw-ups.

However, they did win in the Freddie Awards in the Hotel/Americas category:

Best Customer Service — Marriott Hotels - Marriott Rewards
Best Elite Level — Marriott Hotels - Marriott Rewards
Best Redemption Ability — Marriott Hotels - Marriott Rewards
Best Redemption Promotion — Marriott Hotels - Marriott Rewards
Program of the Year — Marriott Hotels - Marriott Rewards

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
I accepted the 9 stays one as well and new status was updated in about 24 hours. Now I feel kind of stupid because this means I have to check in/out every day and stay somewhere else every second night on some of my trips to achieve the 9 stays but maybe I get some great perks and feel better about it later
Generally speaking, do check-in agents/managers mind if you check in/out every day?

Will re-checking-in prevent you from getting the same rate? TIA.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Generally speaking, do check-in agents/managers mind if you check in/out every day?

It's not up to the local hotel staff. If you check out of a property in the morning and check back in that night the system will not credit you for different stays.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
A “stay" or "qualifying stay" means all consecutive nights a Rewards Program Member registers and personally pays and stays at any Rewards Program participating hotel, for which the room is billed to the Member.
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive

Originally Posted by njcommodore
It's not up to the local hotel staff. If you check out of a property in the morning and check back in that night the system will not credit you for different stays.
In other words, you need to bounce back and forth between two separate hotels to get individual stay credits. While a PITA, this can work out somewhat easy if two properties are co-located on the same parcel.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate
In other words, you need to bounce back and forth between two separate hotels to get individual stay credits. While a PITA, this can work out somewhat easy if two properties are co-located on the same parcel.
Oh I see, thanks for the explanations!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:01 am
Suspended

Oh I see, thanks for the explanations!
In addition, since the Megabonus promotion that is going on right now is based on stays, you will easily qualify for 3 free nights (6 separate stays) while earning your Platinum status.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
In addition, since the Megabonus promotion that is going on right now is based on stays, you will easily qualify for 3 free nights (6 separate stays) while earning your Platinum status.
That is a good point and something that made me a lot happier about this challenge when I eventually realized it. The megabonus promotion ends last of August thou (or are the dates individual maybe?) but maybe there will be a new promotion after that?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
That is a good point and something that made me a lot happier about this challenge when I eventually realized it. The megabonus promotion ends last of August thou (or are the dates individual maybe?) but maybe there will be a new promotion after that?
Marriot continually runs the M/B promotion and from my speaking to a CS rep, it is almost assured that when they run another, the term for the new certs will be 1 year.

It is doubtful, that the next one will be offered on 9/1 as a MegaMiles promotion still has a month to run.

More likely, esp. if you do a search in this forum to substantiate, that they will start a new M/B prmotion on 10/1 or 10/15 if history and my memory are any guide.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: A/E Plat,A/E Plat.AP,Taca Gold,KLM Gold,MPolo Gold,Marr. Gold,C.Club Gold,A.Gold Infinate,Em.Exec,
Missed my Marriott Gold Challenge.

Due to misinformed front desk, miscommunication and my schedule, I managed to miss my Gold challenge and have reverted back to my Silver standing. After discussing my predicament with Rewards to no avail I'm seeking advise, suggestions, experiences from anyone that may have missed thier challange and had it reinstated shortly after. The only solution I have found is the Ritz Carlton Visa which offers free Gold Elite for the first year. I'm AMEX Plat. & AMEX Aeroplan Plat. and don't know why this isn't offered on either of these cards.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:41 pm

I know, while amex centurion has many hotel statusses for free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.