Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Booking via II will not earn you MR nights/stays. Nor will booking MVCI stays via MVCI ownership time. You must book via Marriott.com/phone and pay eligible room rates.
I beg to differ, but MVCI stays via II (or those few that still exchange on RCI) exchanges or MVCI ownership DO count towards elite status. You just have to call and have your MR number put on the reservation. It wasn't always like this, though. I think it changed in 2009?

But that's not my question... I'm asking about whether or not these stays count towards the Platinum Challenge. If it does, I can easily hit the required 18 nights in 3 months. I already have two consecutive weeks booked for a vacation, and can plan a third exchange or a 4+ night hotel stay sometime else within the 3 months before or after.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
I signed up for a gold challenge today.

They told me I'd be gold in their system tomorrow, not today.

Also, the challenge is now STAYS not NIGHTS.

Gold is 6 stays in 90 days. So I signed up effective 7/31 and have until 10/31
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Hit the 18 nights and got it with one day to spare. Platinum until 1/31/14. Thanks to this forum for bringing this promo to light!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
only till 31 Jan? used to be until 28/29 Feb............

Originally Posted by newcastle
Hit the 18 nights and got it with one day to spare. Platinum until 1/31/14. Thanks to this forum for bringing this promo to light!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
only till 31 Jan? used to be until 28/29 Feb............
That is what the CSR said. Now that you mention it I do recall seeing discussion of through the end of Feb, but didn't notice the discrepancy while on the phone otherwise would have asked.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:29 pm

I am new to Marriott Rewards, and created a rewards account last month. I want to do the Taste of Platinum challenge for my upcoming trips, and am looking for advice...

Travel plans: 8/31 - 9/3 NYC Ritz ; 11/19 - 11/25 Maui Ritz ; 11/27 - 12/4 Big Island Waikoloa Marriott. Total nights = 16.

I was originally planning to start the challenge in early Nov, have the 13 Hawaii nights, then get 5+ more nights over new years to complete the 18 night requirement. However, it looks like that has changed to a 9 stay requirement, which I cannot complete, and assuming this, I'd like to include my NYC trip in Platinum coverage if possible. I understand starting the challenge the first week in August (this month) will make it expire on November 30th. My question is will the Nov 30 expiration of Platinum affect my 11/27 - 12/4 Big Island Marriott stay? I will checkin while Platinum, and I assume they will not just cut off associated benefits or base thier upgrade potential decision on the cutoff (does the hotel know you are only doing the challenge, and if so, do they know the expiration date of your Platinum status?), but I'm curious if anyone can confirm what will happen in this scenario?

TIA.

Last edited by MikeR397; Aug 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by MikeR397
I am new to Marriott Rewards, and created a rewards account last month. I want to do the Taste of Platinum challenge for my upcoming trips, and am looking for advice...

Travel plans: 8/31 - 9/3 NYC Ritz ; 11/19 - 11/25 Maui Ritz ; 11/27 - 12/4 Big Island Waikoloa Marriott. Total nights = 16.

I was originally planning to start the challenge in early Nov, have the 13 Hawaii nights, then get 5+ more nights over new years to complete the 18 night requirement. However, it looks like that has changed to a 9 stay requirement, which I cannot complete, and assuming this, I'd like to include my NYC trip in Platinum coverage if possible. I understand starting the challenge the first week in August (this month) will make it expire on November 30th. My question is will the Nov 30 expiration of Platinum affect my 11/27 - 12/4 Big Island Marriott stay? I will checkin while Platinum, and I assume they will not just cut off associated benefits or base thier upgrade potential decision on the cutoff (does the hotel know you are only doing the challenge, and if so, do they know the expiration date of your Platinum status?), but I'm curious if anyone can confirm what will happen in this scenario?

TIA.
Nobody knows how a status change midstay will affect the stay, if at all?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Nobody knows how a status change midstay will affect the stay, if at all?
Your status at time of check-in will determine what, if any, benefits you get. A change mid-stay would/should not make any difference. Now if the property should have reason to cycle your folio, you might get a surprise or two (i.e. no more free internet). There shouldn't be a need to do this unless you are on an extended stay and the property insists on billing your CC each week or so.

This also works the other way, if your stay will bump your status, it won't happen until the stay posts. There is no real-time status check in the middle of a stay. But again, if the hotel cycles your folio or the such.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:19 pm

Just called Marriott and got the Gold status until Nov. 30. I was previously Silver status with only 1 night.

But I logged into my account, nothing changed. Anyone can tell me how long will the Gold status be effective?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:27 pm
Suspended

check tomorrow...... generally takes a night for the system to update..........

Originally Posted by tonywush
Just called Marriott and got the Gold status until Nov. 30. I was previously Silver status with only 1 night.

But I logged into my account, nothing changed. Anyone can tell me how long will the Gold status be effective?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Your status at time of check-in will determine what, if any, benefits you get. A change mid-stay would/should not make any difference. Now if the property should have reason to cycle your folio, you might get a surprise or two (i.e. no more free internet). There shouldn't be a need to do this unless you are on an extended stay and the property insists on billing your CC each week or so.

This also works the other way, if your stay will bump your status, it won't happen until the stay posts. There is no real-time status check in the middle of a stay. But again, if the hotel cycles your folio or the such.
Ok, thanks, makes sense and that will work well. I mentioned the travel dates above, so the issue is just a 7 night stay during the status downgrade mid way through on Nov 30 (assuming they refuse to offer me the 18 night requirement which I can complete, just not the 9 stay. I'll be able to make Platinum otherwise in 2013, but want to have Platinum benefits for my travel plans the rest of this year).
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:54 am

However, it looks like that has changed to a 9 stay requirement.
I just called to do the challenged and received the same information. I probably won't make the 9 stays.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:16 pm

I was originally offered Taste of Gold with 6 stays but they changed it to 12 nights upon request since I didn't want to have to waste time switching between hotels.

I couldn't get them to put me on Taste of Platinum though, is that program still available? Does it have some special qualifications? I can easily make the requirements and I have 30 nights in the past 3 months already, so it's not like they can't see I'm a serious traveller. I'm not sure if I'm now ineligible for Taste of Platinum because I already accepted the Taste of Gold challenge though.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:08 am

Just a few questions. I have just signed up for a Mariott card as we are doing a 4 week trip to the the US (from Australia) in Oct/Nov this year. Have already booked 5 nights of the trip with Mariott hotels and doing more this week.

Can I apply for the Platinum challenge? What benefit over Gold is it?

There are 3 of us traveling together and only I have signed up and booked the rooms. Will we all get lounge access / breakfast?

Given we not leaving until Oct should I wait to sign up or do it now so they have time to process it and send any cards/paperwork to Australia.

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:32 am
Suspended

platinum vrs. gold -
better chance at upgrade
increased bonus points
lounge access, if they have a lounge
breakfast, but not at resorts or what is considered a resort (even if not in the name)
BTW, when you say 3, do you mean with a child or another adult? and, when you say Marriott card, are you referring to a Marriott rewards card or a Marriott Visa card??

Originally Posted by yarrowfell
Just a few questions. I have just signed up for a Mariott card as we are doing a 4 week trip to the the US (from Australia) in Oct/Nov this year. Have already booked 5 nights of the trip with Mariott hotels and doing more this week.

Can I apply for the Platinum challenge? What benefit over Gold is it?

There are 3 of us traveling together and only I have signed up and booked the rooms. Will we all get lounge access / breakfast?

Given we not leaving until Oct should I wait to sign up or do it now so they have time to process it and send any cards/paperwork to Australia.

Thanks for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.