Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
platinum vrs. gold -
better chance at upgrade
increased bonus points
lounge access, if they have a lounge
breakfast, but not at resorts or what is considered a resort (even if not in the name)
BTW, when you say 3, do you mean with a child or another adult? and, when you say Marriott card, are you referring to a Marriott rewards card or a Marriott Visa card??
Mariott rewards card.

3 adults (girls holiday LOL)

Booked at LAX Mariott Airport and Atlanta Mariott Marquis so far. Still need Orlando, Miami and Vegas hotels.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
for info on lounges, if any, check Sharon's sticky...............
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

in Vegas, the Cosmo considers themselves a resort so the benees you think you'll be getting, you won't so if its benees you want, stay away from Cosmo...........

you might run into a problem at certain hotels that don't think 3-adults in 1 room is permitted at the rate booked, or any rate for that matter......

Originally Posted by yarrowfell
Mariott rewards card.

3 adults (girls holiday LOL)

Booked at LAX Mariott Airport and Atlanta Mariott Marquis so far. Still need Orlando, Miami and Vegas hotels.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE

you might run into a problem at certain hotels that don't think 3-adults in 1 room is permitted at the rate booked, or any rate for that matter......
I have booked room with 2 double beds and a rollaway. I do have to pay rollaway fees but that not a drama.

Was more curious if I did do the gold or platinum challenge if we could all get into the lounge if we wanted.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:08 am
Suspended

generally limited to the prime guest w gold/plat + 1 guest also in the room , but each hotels enforcement of this general rule is different............ as you read thru several threads you'll notice some folks protesting families of 10-filling up the lounge and using it as dinner for 10, so as stated, enforcement varies...........

Originally Posted by yarrowfell
I have booked room with 2 double beds and a rollaway. I do have to pay rollaway fees but that not a drama.

Was more curious if I did do the gold or platinum challenge if we could all get into the lounge if we wanted.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by riskyshift
I was originally offered Taste of Gold with 6 stays but they changed it to 12 nights upon request since I didn't want to have to waste time switching between hotels.

I couldn't get them to put me on Taste of Platinum though, is that program still available? Does it have some special qualifications? I can easily make the requirements and I have 30 nights in the past 3 months already, so it's not like they can't see I'm a serious traveller. I'm not sure if I'm now ineligible for Taste of Platinum because I already accepted the Taste of Gold challenge though.
I am a silver and emailed Marriott for the platinum Challenge but they declined and just offered me gold. It seems like they are cutting back on the platinum challenge or something.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: E50 MM
Is the following correct?

Taste of Gold, need to have 6 stay
Taste of Platinum, need to have 9 stays

Once you request it, you have 4 months to meet the stay requirements.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by Paulchili
While that is true, I find the cat 1-4 not that enticing - but free is free.
In fact, even the annual cat 5 reward lost some of its shine for me as several cat 5 hotels on my radar migrated to cat 6 (Budapest, Lucerne, etc and Sydney from 6 to 7)
What is the annual cat 5 reward?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:15 pm
Suspended

certain Marriott/Visa cards offer a Cat 1-5 cert each year starting with first anniversary...........

Originally Posted by monsrt
What is the annual cat 5 reward?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rushfan1
Is the following correct?

Taste of Gold, need to have 6 stay
Taste of Platinum, need to have 9 stays

Once you request it, you have 4 months to meet the stay requirements.
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Rest of the month in the month you requested the challenge + three full months there after.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:05 am

Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas Nights Count?

Does anyone know if nights at the Cosmo in Las Vegas count during the challenge?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:29 am
Suspended

paid nights will..............

Originally Posted by CyblocGirl
Does anyone know if nights at the Cosmo in Las Vegas count during the challenge?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:27 am

Is Plat Challenge a Slap in the face of True Road Warriors

I got to thinking and it seems that Marriott really shouldn't give away Plat as a challenge Option. Why isn't it good enough to comp someone GOLD and have them EARN Platinum? Seems like a lot of the benefits of Gold and Plat are similar for someone they are trully trying to convert from another brand to be happy until the reach the threshold for Platinum. Then Give your true Warriors real benefits like Free breakfast, etc.

At this point when you see posts questioning the benefit of Platinum, or you are a platinum and spend $1000's at a resort to litterally get 500 pts bonus as your only benefit of your loyalty you have to wonder if Marriott isn't causing this with their Comp Policy.

I don't blame the consumer either for taking the challenge with NO intentions of meeting the criteria and just using it for a week stay at local property with benefits. Marriott shouldn't offer something they don't want Consumers to use.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Has the plat challenge always been offered to anyone that asked? One of my co-workers (who would consistently get gold but couldn't get to platinum) had told me previously that he tried to call and do the plat challenge but they said it was only offered to people that had previously already been platinum. Guess that isn't the case (at least anymore).
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:19 am

The simple fact is being Platinum is not very special and the benefits are not that great from what I have seen. I have been able to get to plat the last two years just based on my 15-20 nights in rooms plus my credit card spending. It's my impression that there are a LOT of plats out there. The more people that feel special, and thus stay with Marriott, the better for Marriott. I have a hunch it's a very small percentage of people that take the plat challenge with no intent of completing it. Some yes, but not a lot.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, A List Preferred
I don't believe it is, I have paid the dues already and looking for the same level of service at another hotel chain.

In my situation, I have been a HIlton Diamond member for quite awhile, but I have grown tired of the Hilton hotels. I emailed Marriott and they did a plantinum match for me for 90 days and then I have to complete 9 stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.