Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks for that info re AC hotels. I'm not enrolled in a challenge as of yet but received an e-mail today and it's 9 stays now. Has anyone got the 18 nights one recently? Would be way better for me because I have few but long stays and would not like to check in and out every day.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:09 pm

Does this challenge apply to new member ? or previously silver/gold/platinum member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by draerospace
Does this challenge apply to new member ? or previously silver/gold/platinum member
It's also for new members, although I suppose it helps if you have status with another hotel program (i.e. if you claim you want to move to Marriott). Based on what I heard here, they might not offer the Platinum challenge to you but you should be able to get the Gold challenge.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by tbm13
It's also for new members, although I suppose it helps if you have status with another hotel program (i.e. if you claim you want to move to Marriott). Based on what I heard here, they might not offer the Platinum challenge to you but you should be able to get the Gold challenge.
I was offered the Platinum challenge as a new member, even though I have no real status on another program. (Of course, I called and asked for it. )
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by hard2please
I was offered the Platinum challenge as a new member, even though I have no real status on another program. (Of course, I called and asked for it. )
May I ask if your requirement was 18 nights or 9 stays?

I got the 9 stays one and I hate it. I do have more than enough nights coming but would hate to check out every day and stay every second night somewhere else so maybe not worth it. Anyways, I already asked twice so maybe the stay based one is the only one they would be willing to give me.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
I started my Platinum challenge in May and was offered the 18 nights. I wasn't aware you could do a 9 stay option. That would have been much easier for me.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I started my Platinum challenge in May and was offered the 18 nights. I wasn't aware you could do a 9 stay option. That would have been much easier for me.
Ok, so we both got what the other one of us would have wanted I think according to this thread the 18 nights one was the standard back when you started and the 9 stays one is the standard now.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Ok, so we both got what the other one of us would have wanted I think according to this thread the 18 nights one was the standard back when you started and the 9 stays one is the standard now.
I think you are right!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:02 am

Last week I was offered the 9 stay option. I'm platinum in IHG but was never asked to provide any proof of such.

Already a current member before challenge.

Last edited by saaveraward; Jul 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 am

I got the 9 stays one and I hate it. I do have more than enough nights coming but would hate to check out every day and stay every second night somewhere else so maybe not worth it. Anyways, I already asked twice so maybe the stay based one is the only one they would be willing to give me.
My challenge started in May and the only one I was offered (and the only one I was aware of) was the 18 nights. I too would have preferred the 9 stay version of it.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by hard2please
I guess that depends on whichever you talk to . I tried email and calling the # , both mention that they do not give platinum challenge to new account.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Thanks for that info re AC hotels. I'm not enrolled in a challenge as of yet but received an e-mail today and it's 9 stays now. Has anyone got the 18 nights one recently? Would be way better for me because I have few but long stays and would not like to check in and out every day.
Eariler today I signed up for a Platinum Challenege, was told it would be 9 stays.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by lsumegan
How did they seem resentful?
Sort of like they were taking great care to read me the rules in almost pre-school speak. Making what appeared to be a big production of requiring me to "accept" the offer and then reiterating the rules again, like they might manage to change my mind. Yeah, at ease MRrewards. I got it the first time. If I had not wanted the offer and understood that there were certain (easy, IMO) conditions that I needed to meet in order to get it, I wouldn't have asked for it. It is, after all, called a "challenge".

Don't misunderstand. I like Marriott and have had mostly really good experiences with them. But there are times that they and their policies kind of rub me the wrong way. This was one of those times.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:42 pm

how long does it take to reflect the new member status?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
from a challenge or earned? (but IMO, 24-hrs)

Originally Posted by draerospace
how long does it take to reflect the new member status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.