Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
What really bothers me is that people can apply for a Plat challenge and get comped to Plat, without the intention to complete the challenge. So practically anybody can be a Plat for 25% of the time and not spend a single eligible night at a Marriott property!!

Here is an example and how i think Marriott could deal with it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-benefits.html
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
What really bothers me is that people can apply for a Plat challenge and get comped to Plat, without the intention to complete the challenge. So practically anybody can be a Plat for 25% of the time and not spend a single eligible night at a Marriott property!!

Here is an example and how i think Marriott could deal with it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-benefits.html
You make some very valid points, Nikolas.

Moreover, I never read that thread as it was self-evident to me what MR response would be to such an issue.

But, that thread again raises the matter that has gotten much ink elsewhere in this forum, e.g. that newly minted elite members on a challenge have no knowledge -- and from the looks of that thread that you cited -- no inclination to learn the rules of the program, as they appear to be totally invested in some very short term gain, and that's all.

MR needs to re-think the handing out like candy, elite challenges to those who have had no history of earning elite status in any program, whatsoever.

The posts in many threads and in certain blogs are replete with ways to obtain status for nothing from one program and then to use that as a bootstrap to gain a challenge with Marriott or some other program.

Marriott needs to tighten its eligibility requirements for these challenges.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I agreed that Marriott shouldn't throw their highest tier when people asked for it. There should be some limit on it or based on some criteria such as you are the highest tier of a competitor or you can only do it if you are a Gold member.

However it's difficult to say how many of those who took the challenge will eventually make it. There are certainly some that will just abuse the system, but I'm not sure if it's the majority. I do think that once you get the perks you can't live without it

I never asked for a Plat challenge myself because I know that I won't make it - so both Mr. Nacho and I picked Gold challenge instead. We made it - with our own expense, and we are happy with the perks, and it does make us choose Marriott over other chains.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:34 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Does anything bad happen if you fail a Taste of Gold challenge?

I've stayed 11 nights in Marriotts/Ritzes in the past 3 months, but I didn't hear about the challenge until now. Thinking of signing up for it now but I actually might not have as many Marriott stays in the next 3 months.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
yes... you won't be able to try for it again for a year following the last day you fail to qualify for the current one....

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Does anything bad happen if you fail a Taste of Gold challenge?

I've stayed 11 nights in Marriotts/Ritzes in the past 3 months, but I didn't hear about the challenge until now. Thinking of signing up for it now but I actually might not have as many Marriott stays in the next 3 months.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by nacho
However it's difficult to say how many of those who took the challenge will eventually make it. There are certainly some that will just abuse the system, but I'm not sure if it's the majority. I do think that once you get the perks you can't live without it
Sure, nobody can predict the future, but certain criteria or terms can be imposed, so as to maximize the likelihood that the challenge is offered to people that will eventually complete it.

Some of them are:
  • Prior status with Marriott (Gold or Silver).
  • Prior Status with other chains, not obtained through a challenge.
  • Removing Plat benefits from non-eligible stays towards the challenge (award stays, OTAs) until it is completed.
  • Offering comped Gold status for the duration of the challenge.

The provision of a challenge should constitute a trade-off for the chain; the devaluation of the Top Tier status vs the prospect of attracting new clients of positive net worth. Currently Marriott appears to ignore one part of this trade-off..

A lot of the other chains, that used to be like Marriott with respect to status challenges, have moved to the other extreme. For example, i am thinking of switching to SPG as my secondary hotel chain (currently HH Gold). They offer a Plat challenge of 18 nights in 90 days, but you do not get the status until the challenge is completed.

I find that extreme approach to be wrong too!! It makes me reluctant to change, even though i want to.

Last edited by Nikolaos; Aug 5, 2012 at 11:18 pm
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I find that extreme approach to be wrong too!! It makes me reluctant to change, even though i want to.
+1

Yes, that's why I have IHG as my second and HH as third. I got them without challange and now I started to have a more positive impression of IHG hotels.

I'll save the Hyatt diamond challenge unless I really can make it.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Just called MR and enrolled for Platinum challenge. The CSR tried to pursuade me to do the Gold challenge instead. She said it might be tough to requalify at 75 nights as I do not spend many nights at the Marriotts currently. I told her I can bring all my business to Marriott if they treat me well and should not have a problem meeting the 75 night problem.

I have to complete 9 stays by nov 30th to get platinum and she said my account should be updated in the next 24 hours.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:57 am

Marriott wants to drive growth. I am sure they have decided that this is an arrow they want in their quiver in order to drive growth.

I am likely to fail on my challenge, as a biz trip got moved out of the period, I knew that was a roll of the dice though when I signed up. They got business out of me during my challenge period that they might not have gotten otherwise. I wasn't upgraded either, and barely touched the lounges. I do appreciate the extra points though.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:02 pm

It seems like some are successful in getting them to offer the old 12 night requirement for gold rather than 6 stays, but has anyone recently been able to convince them to offer the 18 night requirement for Platinum rather than 9 stays?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: A/E Plat,A/E Plat.AP,Taca Gold,KLM Gold,MPolo Gold,Marr. Gold,C.Club Gold,A.Gold Infinate,Em.Exec,
RC Gold>Marriott Plat?

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Would RC stays count toward the 12 or 18 nights?
Sorry, I'm uncertain of the answer to this. Is my RC Gold capable of taking the Marriott Plat. challenge?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:30 pm
Suspended

you're uncertain of the answer and quite frankly, I'm uncertain as to your question.............. I have NO idea what your RC gold has to do with plat challenge.........

Originally Posted by foun10
Sorry, I'm uncertain of the answer to this. Is my RC Gold capable of taking the Marriott Plat. challenge?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: A/E Plat,A/E Plat.AP,Taca Gold,KLM Gold,MPolo Gold,Marr. Gold,C.Club Gold,A.Gold Infinate,Em.Exec,
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
you're uncertain of the answer and quite frankly, I'm uncertain as to your question.............. I have NO idea what your RC gold has to do with plat challenge.........
Try this....if RC Gold = MR Gold are you able to challenge MR Plat with RC Gold?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

yes, you can take the plat challenge whether you're RC/MR gold, provided they'll offer it (as it looks like they're actually looking to limit it, at least to stays vrs. nights, but perhaps more)...........

and, off topic, does Yonge Street ever end?

Originally Posted by foun10
Try this....if RC Gold = MR Gold are you able to challenge MR Plat with RC Gold?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
yes, you can take the plat challenge whether you're RC/MR gold, provided they'll offer it (as it looks like they're actually looking to limit it, at least to stays vrs. nights, but perhaps more)...........

and, off topic, does Yonge Street ever end?
Thanks!
As for Yonge St.....when you're sitting in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic on it, it seems like it will never end. In reality it's about 1,900 km long. Starts at the shore of Lake Ontario and ends somewhere along the Minnesota boarder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.