Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by NonStopMe
Hi, I'm new to this forum and already have a delicate question:

Signed up to the Plat challenge a while ago and am on best way to make the 18 nights before Sep 30th.

I am Plat on my online profile and am receiving the additional points, however, I wonder about how I haven't really recognized much of the perks of being a Plat since the challenge started - never received the welcome present (also no points credited) during my last three stays and also never an upgrade nor lounge access.

Would generally feel uncomfortable asking for anything and I'm even not sure if, while being on a challenge, all perks already apply. Should I complain during my next stay?
Did you ask for it? I'm currently doing the platinum challenge as well. Lounge access and breakfast were complimentary during all my stay (except in Courtyard and AC). That's for sure at least during our stay at JW Marriott, Marriott and Renaissance (Refer to their elite benefits official website).

When we were in Marriott Munich, the front office staff forgot to give me any information about their lounge (there were a lot of guests checking-in that time, so I asked for it and coupons were given. I think you have to ask=) Marriott staff are very friendly and helpful=)

Room upgrade for platinum is not something that you will always get. We got a corner room upgrade at Marriott Munich and a junior suite upgrade at JW Marriott KL. Again, you have to ask for it, in a nice and friendly way=)

You should get welcome gift whenever you check-in at Marriott hotels. Again, ask for it=) The staff of JW Marriott KL forgot to offer me the welcome gift, they were very helpful and friendly during the check-in process plus they are arranging something special for my girlfriend's birthday, so I didn't utilize the Platinum guaranteed benefits, but instead, I just got back to them and ask for the welcome gift.

Don't be shy to ask for some information. As long as you ask with a smile, they would help you with a smile=)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Did you ask for it? I'm currently doing the platinum challenge as well. Lounge access and breakfast were complimentary during all my stay (except in Courtyard and AC). That's for sure at least during our stay at JW Marriott, Marriott and Renaissance (Refer to their elite benefits official website).

When we were in Marriott Munich, the front office staff forgot to give me any information about their lounge (there were a lot of guests checking-in that time, so I asked for it and coupons were given. I think you have to ask=) Marriott staff are very friendly and helpful=)

Room upgrade for platinum is not something that you will always get. We got a corner room upgrade at Marriott Munich and a junior suite upgrade at JW Marriott KL. Again, you have to ask for it, in a nice and friendly way=)

You should get welcome gift whenever you check-in at Marriott hotels. Again, ask for it=) The staff of JW Marriott KL forgot to offer me the welcome gift, they were very helpful and friendly during the check-in process plus they are arranging something special for my girlfriend's birthday, so I didn't utilize the Platinum guaranteed benefits, but instead, I just got back to them and ask for the welcome gift.

Don't be shy to ask for some information. As long as you ask with a smile, they would help you with a smile=)
I wish that new elites or those on a challenge would read and re-read this post of yours Dolphinyoung! @:-)

You have taken the correct view, IMHO, of your rights and desk stafff's responsibilities with respect to elite status. Moreover, you exercised reasonable common sense and courtesy in not demanding the Platinum guarantee when the desk staff were actually helping you in arranging particulars with respect to your stay -- a gentle reminder that you should get the benefit of your membership is sufficient and appropriate in this respect. ^

I would like to direct you to the latest tirade on the C/Y thread. Perhaps you can knock some sense into another Platinum temporary elite who thinks that he is owed the world at a C/Y just because he is used to getting same at a HGI -- where he is due such benefits.

Apparently he wishes to read into the Marriott rules, whatever he thinks is appropriate, even if it is from a competitor chain's rulebook.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

I NEVER ask for an upgrade and get it everytime. In fact, tomorrow (Sunday) my stay at the Renaissance Esmeralda starts and the room type on my reservation has already been changed (on Friday their elite coordinator emailed a rather poorly worded doc to see the Elite Loyalty Ambassador if I arrived between 1 and 5 pm)...another upgrade.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
best keep this a secret from evansbran who "thinks" that CYs are supposed to provide "him" free breakfast........

Lounge access and breakfast were complimentary during all my stay (except in Courtyard and AC). That's for sure at least during our stay at JW Marriott, Marriott and Renaissance (Refer to their elite benefits official website).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Didn't find this answer while searching through the last four pages:

If you complete the challenge, how long is your new status good for?

For example, if you begin the challenge Oct '12 and complete the req'ts in Jan ' 13, does your new status expire in 2015?

Last edited by eethan; Aug 13, 2012 at 12:43 am
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:46 am
Suspended

IMO, 28 Feb 2014

Originally Posted by eethan
Didn't find this answer while searching through the last four pages:

If you complete the challenge, how long is your new status good for?

For example, if you begin the challenge Oct '12 and complete the req'ts in Jan ' 13, does your new status expire in 2015?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Yes if you complete the challenge it is good until Feb 2014.

Which works well, lets say in 2013 you don't make the requirements, you could challenge again lets say March 2014

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
IMO, 28 Feb 2014
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Plat
Board newbie with complicated question

Hello all, I'm new to this board and found it to be a wealth of info. I have a rather complicated scenario and hope for some expertise on this board. If this has been addressed already my apologies, too many pages to go through entire thread. I'm have been a MR rewards member for a long time. I Am currently one night away from Gold. I was one of those automatically enrolled in a taste of gold earlier this year without request and didn't make the nights. I was unaware of these challenges until recently. However I'm about to hit Gold and need advice on the best way to hit Platinum.

I have a meeting that I am conducting in a boardroom at a Marriott. I get 10 elite nights with this meeting and points of course. Does anyone know if these 10 nights would count as 10 nights towards platinum? Here's my dilemma; I can get my last stay to make Gold before holding the meeting. If the 10 nights count then I can make the 18 nights in time. Also will I even be eligible for this given that I was automatically enrolled in taste of Gold earlier this year without asking? Had I known I would have declined the challenge and waited. Finally, can you do Plat challenge from Gold (I read somewhere that you can) and if so are the required number of nights from Gold to Plat less than they would be from silver to Plat? I also have stays in Europe next year in March. If they don't let me do it now I'm hoping I can then. I can't remember when I was automatically upgraded to the taste of Gold this year... Anyone recall that was also enrolled?

Told you it was complicated! Ha!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Rhoke813
I have a meeting that I am conducting in a boardroom at a Marriott. I get 10 elite nights with this meeting and points of course. Does anyone know if these 10 nights would count as 10 nights towards platinum?
They will count towards your status, but not towards a challenge.

Also will I even be eligible for this given that I was automatically enrolled in taste of Gold earlier this year without asking?
No, you have to wait 12 months after your last challenge to apply for a new one.

Finally, can you do Plat challenge from Gold (I read somewhere that you can) and if so are the required number of nights from Gold to Plat less than they would be from silver to Plat?
You can do a challenge from any status but the requirements are the same.

BTW, according to reports on this forum, the requirements of the Platinum challenge have been changed from 18 nights to 9 stays.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Plat
What a bummer. I did the online chat with a MR agent and discovered that my Taste of Gold challenge ended June 30. That means I can't do the platinum challenge until next year July 1! I'm bummed because I didn't ask for this challenge... It was just given to me and during a low travel time. I will make gold here shortly but getting another 25 nights for platinum is unlikely. I had hoped to try the challenge next March before a sequence of stays. Has anyone successfully argued getting the challenge prior to the one year mark when the taste of gold was just given and not requested? I barely knew what it was when it came in the mail...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:57 am
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
I am currently enrolled in Taste of Platinum challenge and have a multi-room stay planned for Saturday. I understand that two rooms at the same hotel only count once. Would rooms at two separate nearby properties on the same night count as multiple nights or stays toward the challenge or megabonus promotion?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrG
I am currently enrolled in Taste of Platinum challenge and have a multi-room stay planned for Saturday. I understand that two rooms at the same hotel only count once. Would rooms at two separate nearby properties on the same night count as multiple nights or stays toward the challenge or megabonus promotion?
No. But if the rooms are in the same hotel, you can get points/miles if you stay in one, pay for both, and include your MR at check-in.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Called up this morning and was enrolled in the Taste of Gold. Six stays will keep me there- have two right booked now (unfort 3 nights and then two- should have split the res up but wasn't planning on this originally)

50/50 shot of making it- might need some help with LNF to maximize potential compared to other chains.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
How many nights do you currently need for the platinum challenge and what number do you call.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:18 am
Suspended

if you read thru this thread I think you'll find out that you will no longer be able to apply for a nights based challenge.......

Originally Posted by holocker
How many nights do you currently need for the platinum challenge and what number do you call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.