Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by USirritated
LOL....calling Lady GaGa!

The 400 points for CY is certainly welcome, but are they leaving the other chains at the same welcome gift level? It makes you wonder why they don't increase all or most of them. I always thought it was a bit cheap to only give 200 or 250 points for the other brands, especially where the rates are similar to or only slightly less than FS properties.

I know the answer on the tiered internet. Some of the select service and lower brands started offering the tiered Internet service, and there were complaints to both the properties and to MI, first because it was confusing, especially to elites; second because having two or more levels of connection speed was not officially sanctioned by MI; and third, because the lower tiers were too slow for many Internet sites and for doing business. MI would probably prefer that tiered Internet go away, but for older management and franchise agreements, MI does not have much of a choice, and for future management and franchise agreements, there will probably be a prohibition on tiered Internet service.
It's nice to know that this is a benefit for Plats as well as Plat Premiers, but Marriott customer service seems to know nothing about the new premium internet benefit. It's also not in the T&C in the new PP benefits booklet.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's nice to know that this is a benefit for Plats as well as Plat Premiers, but Marriott customer service seems to know nothing about the new premium internet benefit. It's also not in the T&C in the new PP benefits booklet.
I noticed the premium internet blurb was in the benefits section of the PP booklet, but my eyes aren't good enough to read the T&C...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by romadaro
Still no card here and I'm Lifetime Platinum Elite. I just called MR and they had no idea why and the agent indicated that it did not appear that a card was ever ordered. Of course, she didn't know why that happened either since I've met all the qualifications. As a result, she ordered a card for me today and said to wait at least 4 weeks! I wonder how many others who haven't received a card are in the same boat.....
Same here. 1st year of Lifetime Platinum, but no membership card from Marriott. Living in the UK, i find the service that comes out of the USA very slow.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
It is not in the small print of the T&C.

Originally Posted by dd992emo
I noticed the premium internet blurb was in the benefits section of the PP booklet, but my eyes aren't good enough to read the T&C...
+1

ADD EDIT: Also, I called MR to discuss, and had to press the rep I was speaking with to go find out FOR SURE while I was on the phone. She had to ask her supervisor and then another supervisor, through two different holds, before she came back on the line to confirm that any elite who is entitled to free Internet is entitled to the highest tier Internet speed offered by that hotel, at no charge. Yes, it is in the new brochures/booklets sent out with the cards.

The reason this is important is that since we are entitled to free Internet, and the daily authorization/disclosure screen comes up, with either two or three speeds available, how are we supposed to know which one to choose? If we do not know, and choose the slow speed, basically equivalent to dial up, we suffer slow connection speeds, slow page loads, slow downloads and uploads, and timing out on different tasks. If we choose the high speed, will we then be charged for sometime we were promised for free? Marriott had to clarify, because it was beginning to be a problem, in large part because Marriott corporate was promising free Internet, but unbeknownst to them, some individual hotels were offering different connection speeds at different prices.

Last edited by USirritated; Mar 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm Reason: ADD EDIT
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by USirritated
It is not in the small print of the T&C.

+1

ADD EDIT: Also, I called MR to discuss, and had to press the rep I was speaking with to go find out FOR SURE while I was on the phone. She had to ask her supervisor and then another supervisor, through two different holds, before she came back on the line to confirm that any elite who is entitled to free Internet is entitled to the highest tier Internet speed offered by that hotel, at no charge. Yes, it is in the new brochures/booklets sent out with the cards.

The reason this is important is that since we are entitled to free Internet, and the daily authorization/disclosure screen comes up, with either two or three speeds available, how are we supposed to know which one to choose? If we do not know, and choose the slow speed, basically equivalent to dial up, we suffer slow connection speeds, slow page loads, slow downloads and uploads, and timing out on different tasks. If we choose the high speed, will we then be charged for sometime we were promised for free? Marriott had to clarify, because it was beginning to be a problem, in large part because Marriott corporate was promising free Internet, but unbeknownst to them, some individual hotels were offering different connection speeds at different prices.
You had better luck than I did in calling about this. After some long holds, I was passed to a customer service supervisor who didn't know much about it and I had to insist on reading what the booklet said, stressing that I could find nothing in the T&C. She also tried to say that the benefit is only for full service hotels, which is not at all what the PP booklet says. (BTW, I can't find any mention of this new benefit on Marriott's website.)

Then I asked a hotel only to be told no, because the premium service is supplied by a third party. At that point, my question is whether it's not the case that all internet is supplied by an outside vendor/third party.

I predict battles over this at many Marriott family properties over the next few years.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
FWIW, I was at the Inn at Opryland - A Gaylord Hotel. They had tiered Internet and I selected the highest tier and was not charged for it.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
You had better luck than I did in calling about this. After some long holds, I was passed to a customer service supervisor who didn't know much about it and I had to insist on reading what the booklet said, stressing that I could find nothing in the T&C. She also tried to say that the benefit is only for full service hotels, which is not at all what the PP booklet says. (BTW, I can't find any mention of this new benefit on Marriott's website.)

Then I asked a hotel only to be told no, because the premium service is supplied by a third party. At that point, my question is whether it's not the case that all internet is supplied by an outside vendor/third party.

I predict battles over this at many Marriott family properties over the next few years.
BS is BS. That third party comment by the hotel is total made up balderdash. By that illogical logic, a hotel could make an extra charge for sheets because "We don't do our own laundry, we use a third party laundry service, therefor we are charging for sheets and towels."

Personally, whenever someone says something similar to "We are not responsible (for that), since that service if supplied/offered by a third party vendor." Usually, that is what hotels say about parking, since they contract out for parking management to a valet parking company. My response is always the same, "Do the valet attendants where shirts with the Marriott logo on them? Do most guests driving up to a Marriott hotel stop before turning into the driveway to think oh, I need to act differently on the driveway than I do in the lobby, because the driveway is really not Marriott, it is ABC Valet Company?" Do parking charges accrue MR points? The answers? Yes, No, Yes. It is bogus and disingenuous for any hotel to shirk responsibility for something by yelling "THIRD PARTY."

If the booklet lists a rule/benefit, then carry the booklet with you, and if you get charged, ask to speak with a true (meaning not assistant front desk) manager, hold the booklet up, and point to what is printed there, and request that the specious charges be immediately removed. You might also want to point out that the printed rule/benefit does not include "this rule/benefit does not apply if the hotel contracts with a third party vendor to supply this service." If they refuse to remove the improper charge(s), then tell them you will take this up with Mr. Marriott's office, and if you need to do that, you will be asking for additional compensation, so it is up to you Mr./Ms. Nametag, are you going to make the appropriate folio correction, or would you like to be held responsible for not removing an improper charge, plus having to pay out points to a guest for the guest's necessary escalation due to not removing an improper charge? Then watch the color drain out of Mr./Mrs. Nametag's face.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I tried via email at the beginning of the month. No dice there.

I'm on the phone right now, however, and they offered me a Gold challenge without any problem.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Hi, I would like to ask for opinion. Currently I have a basic member which has no activities for 15+ years. Yes, it was Marriott Honored Guest before. It only has 700+ points.

I am based in Singapore.

I have a planned trip in April to Toronto, which the hotel choices will be Homewoods or Towneplace at Mississauga and Courtyard Toronto. If I choose Towneplace over Homewoods, then it will be 3 stays with Marriott. I can simply make another stay in Bangkok before my Toronto trip (well normally I will prefer to stay at starwood property)

Other than this 3/4 stays in April, nothing else is confirm.

So my question is :
- So should I request Taste of Platinum Challenge using this old account? or better I create a new account (with referral program)?

- If I choose the Taste of Platinum but fails to fulfill 9 stays but manage to clock 6 stays will I get Gold or none?

- Also what the email address to send the request and how long normally they will response this?

Currently I am a Priority Club Platinum, SPG, HHonnor, and Le Club Gold

Appreciate any feedback
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Hi FTers,

I was on Gold challenge and fulfilled it (I had HH Diamond). However, given I have shifted most stays to Marriott, can I also request a Platinum challenge? Any luck with you guys before?

Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
challenge

Does a stay at any Marriott property (Ritz Carlton, Autograph Collection, etc) qualify towards the stay requirements?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by nccarguy
Does a stay at any Marriott property (Ritz Carlton, Autograph Collection, etc) qualify towards the stay requirements?
Yes. I was Marriott Gold until the challenge. My stays at Ritz and Ren counted towards the challenge.

Last edited by LAXJFKesq; Mar 24, 2013 at 8:39 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nccarguy
Yes; HOWEVER, keep in mind Priceline and other similarly booked discounted stays do not earn points and night stay credits, nor do company direct billed stays or MR Friends and Family rates. You will always get elite benefits including upgrade if available, lounge access, Plat arrival gift (if you're Plat), etc.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:22 am

I would go even further and say that any stays not directly booked with Marriott will not give you points or nights. Anything else is a fluke.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I would go even further and say that any stays not directly booked with Marriott will not give you points or nights. Anything else is a fluke.
My Ritz Carlton stays booked through Amex FHR have always posted. Of course that could change tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.