Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
what are you talking about? Where did I say this?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
So in recap, those that don't have status the program is too strict and those that do have status the program is too lenient. Hmmm I since a DYKWIA moment coming on.
I like starwood's approach....you get it after you earn it quickly. What if they limited the match to gold only? What if they made you show a history of stays elsewhere? What if they did anything more than simply allowing anyone to call and getting it?!?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by lsumegan
Yep I missed out and earned the hard way so is that fair? I have spent almost all of dec , jan and Feb in a Marriott and get what somebody off the street gets by going on tripadvisor. That is my point exactly...give away gold NOT PLATINUM with a phone call. I am not a status match hater...in fact as soon as I use my points and my Gift cards I will be over at Starwood.

Thank you.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Yep I missed out and earned the hard way so is that fair? I have spent almost all of dec , jan and Feb in a Marriott and get what somebody off the street gets by going on tripadvisor. That is my point exactly...give away gold NOT PLATINUM with a phone call. I am not a status match hater...in fact as soon as I use my points and my Gift cards I will be over at Starwood.

Thank you.
Pot, leave the kettle alone.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle
Dropped down to gold last year so I just signed up for a plat challenge. I have 5 scheduled trips coming up, each one lasting 4 nights so I was wondering if anyone has had experience checking in and checking out of the same hotel to meet the 9 stay criteria. I know that technically a stay is supposed to be at a different hotel, but was curious to see if the computers can track that and if that criteria is actually enforced.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:54 am

I like starwood's approach....you get it after you earn it quickly. What if they limited the match to gold only? What if they made you show a history of stays elsewhere? What if they did anything more than simply allowing anyone to call and getting it?!?
Jr, I agree with you completely. Currently, anyone with half a brain can call Marriott and get a Platinum challenge. I know a couple of people that have done this to score suite upgrades. That means that anyone reading TripAdvisor can be "Platinum" for their vacation. This is what I wish Marriott would crack down on.

I'm okay with allowing a challenge for people that are legitimately coming to Marriott from another hotel program, even if the challenge is pretty easy. I'd like to see the Marriott status be withheld until the challenge is met, though.

I don't like competing with non-frequent travelers for upgrades/concierge lounge space, etc. I expect someone that has earned Platinum to have enough loyalty to Marriott to understand the program and benefits.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:58 pm

Does the Platinum challenge only apply to stays after I call and register? I've had 6 stays in the last 6 weeks (17 nights) so it would be great if those applied.

Has anyone had any luck with that or am I stuck starting from scratch?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marrott Platinum, Hertz PC
I don't know if it's quite so easy to get the "Taste of Platinum" challenge. Perhaps this has changed over the course of the program, but Marriott wouldn't offer it to me until I showed them enough Starwood & Hilton account information so that they could see that I did actually stay in enough hotels over the past year to have naturally qualified for Marriott Platinum had all those stays been with Marriott. The offered me gold on the basis of 50 or so Starwood nights - they wouldn't offer me platinum until I showed them my 25 or so Hilton nights from the past year.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Yes, I believe they have tightened up the eligibility for the challenge in that if you had no history with Marriott you had to show same and of course, it still may vary by who you contact.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Is breakfast still a Gold benefit?

I recently successfully completed a Gold challenge and received my packet.
It lists all the benefits except the free breakfast. Is that still part of the package or has that changed? Sorry if it has been discussed - been absent from here for a while.
TIA
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
current G benees............
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...nefits/gold.mi

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I recently successfully completed a Gold challenge and received my packet.
It lists all the benefits except the free breakfast. Is that still part of the package or has that changed? Sorry if it has been discussed - been absent from here for a while.
TIA
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TTopJohn
I don't know if it's quite so easy to get the "Taste of Platinum" challenge. Perhaps this has changed over the course of the program, but Marriott wouldn't offer it to me until I showed them enough Starwood & Hilton account information so that they could see that I did actually stay in enough hotels over the past year to have naturally qualified for Marriott Platinum had all those stays been with Marriott. The offered me gold on the basis of 50 or so Starwood nights - they wouldn't offer me platinum until I showed them my 25 or so Hilton nights from the past year.
I was never asked for any proof in June of last year (my Marriott Platinum Elite challenge was set up via email). I actually volunteered to show my Priority Club Platinum Elite activity in my initial email asking if they would match my status but that's as far as it went. I never specifically asked for a Platinum Elite challenge either, they just gave it to me. I previously have had very little activity with Marriott and my Marriott Rewards account that's been active for about 10 years.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CalItalian
I was never asked for any proof in June of last year (my Marriott Platinum Elite challenge was set up via email). I actually volunteered to show my Priority Club Platinum Elite activity in my initial email asking if they would match my status but that's as far as it went. I never specifically asked for a Platinum Elite challenge either, they just gave it to me. I previously have had very little activity with Marriott and my Marriott Rewards account that's been active for about 10 years.
But, as you stated that was last June and anecdotal evidence has been that they have considerably tightened up the restrictivenss of same since then.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum 75, Marriott Platinum Elite
Taste of Platinum challenge

WHY am I struggling to put in 75 nights per year...to keep Marriott Platinum, when they are giving it out--in a challenge (immediately however), to those who put in 9 nights?!! And...your status is valid for 2 years! Would someone PLEASE explain to me how this benefits the moron who gives marriott 75 nights?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
You are misinformed.

First it is 9 stays, not nights. (Yes, you can complete 9 nights, however, not back to back.

Second, it isn't for two years, it is until the following February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.