Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
That's a bit harsh. I've generally had excellent service from every MR rep, even before I became Plat. Much friendlier than the competition.

While I can understand your frustration with the listening skills, keep in mind that these CSRs take 100s of calls a day and most are from people who don't know the system as well as we do. So it sometimes takes them a little time to warm up to the fact that you are sophisticated customer with special issues. Copping a DYKWIA attitude is inappropriate and unproductive. You will get more flies with honey.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
I qualified for Plat for the first time in December and got an old style card with a 2014 expiration date. Will I get a new one as well? Anyone else in this situation?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had a quick question. If I complete a platinum status this month, will my status be for this year (expiring early 2014) or will it include all of this year and next year (ending in 2015)?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mastermc54
I had a quick question. If I complete a platinum status this month, will my status be for this year (expiring early 2014) or will it include all of this year and next year (ending in 2015)?
It's best to call and ask or e-mail so you have a record of their response, but I would assume it would expire in 2014.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by thirtyfour
I qualified for Plat for the first time in December and got an old style card with a 2014 expiration date. Will I get a new one as well? Anyone else in this situation?
Same here , did the platinum challenge back in June , qualified and got in aug the card with feb 2014 exp , I guess no welcome package for me ...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
does it really make a difference???????? no one looks at the card anyhow as your status is in the computer, but if you REALLY need a new card it takes 2 seconds to order one by phone.......

Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ReduceTC
Same here , did the platinum challenge back in June , qualified and got in aug the card with feb 2014 exp , I guess no welcome package for me ...
You got a welcome package at the time of qualification and now you want a new one even though you haven't qualified for it? If you re-qualify this year, then you will get a new package next year and each year after that in which you've qualified or been extended.

As stated many times, the MR card is pretty useless anyway, so there's really no need for MR to issue them in the first place. But I do understand the warm and fuzzies one feels getting the card (lasts for about five minutes for me).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Seems I didn't make the previous month's mailing. Just returned and sorted thru my mail from the 50th state and discovered my Gold Elite mailer. Good thru Feb 2014, as expected.
I just noticed my Gold Card said good thru 01/2014 while my husband's said 02/2014. Not that one month would make big difference but I am kind of curious on this one month difference when I actually signed up 2 weeks later than he did.

May be I should call customer service on Monday to find out why.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

Long time Hilton Diamond. Called and requested a Platinum Challenge. Need 9 stays through the end of April, which won't be a problem for status through 2015 not 2014), which surprised me this early into 2013. Thanks Marriott!

Safe Travels
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

Long time Hilton Diamond. Called and requested a Platinum Challenge. Need 9 stays through the end of April, which won't be a problem for status through 2015 not 2014), which surprised me this early into 2013. Thanks Marriott!

Safe Travels

What telephone number did you call?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA

I called the Marriott Rewards CS # on the back of the Visa card (800-321-7396) and went through the automated menu until I got a live person. Good luck.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Status is only good thru Jan 31st 2014, not thru 02/2014 as printed on the card!

Originally Posted by Happy
I just noticed my Gold Card said good thru 01/2014 while my husband's said 02/2014. Not that one month would make big difference but I am kind of curious on this one month difference when I actually signed up 2 weeks later than he did.

May be I should call customer service on Monday to find out why.
So I called Marriott Reward 1-800-321-7396 Gold Elite number this morning to ask why my card printed thru 01/2014 but DH's has "thru 02/2014" on it.

It is very annoying to go thru the automatic maze with the male voice which insists "he" can understand your questions... Just keep press 0 until you get a human being who is only on duty between 8:15am to 9 pm Weekdays.

The answer I got is, both our statuses are good till Jan 31, 2014 in Marriott system. The cards are printed by 3rd party and Marriott is not responsible for what is printed on it!!!

The rep further said ALL Marriott's statuses drop down after January 31st if the statuses were not earned / maintained by 12/31 prior year. There is NO expiration set in Feb 2014.

Since everyone seems to think his/her status lasts THRU 02/2014, I would suggest you to call Marriott Reward to find out what exactly is the status expiration date so you have a "definite" answer now we are already well into a new elite year and everything should have been updated in Marriott system by now.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Boraxo
That's a bit harsh. I've generally had excellent service from every MR rep, even before I became Plat. Much friendlier than the competition.

While I can understand your frustration with the listening skills, keep in mind that these CSRs take 100s of calls a day and most are from people who don't know the system as well as we do. So it sometimes takes them a little time to warm up to the fact that you are sophisticated customer with special issues. Copping a DYKWIA attitude is inappropriate and unproductive. You will get more flies with honey.
I never take a DYKWIA attitude. I just took issue with the rep not listening and giving information which was inaccurate without looking anything up. People like that rep, who take no pride in doing their jobs in a professional way are the reason for telephone roulette!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Anyone accepted a Plat challenge recently?

Mr. Nacho asked for one and got a reply today saying it's ok, but the status only lasts until Feb 2014.

Is it something new?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
Anyone accepted a Plat challenge recently?

Mr. Nacho asked for one and got a reply today saying it's ok, but the status only lasts until Feb 2014.

Is it something new?

Thanks in advance!
I am not sure about the Feb thing. My card shows thru Jan 2014, husband's shows thru Feb 2014 but when I called I am told all statuses expire on Jan 31.

My guess is, if you qualify the normal way, you have one month grace period after Jan. Hence the Feb comes in play.

However if you fail to qualify the normal way the following year, your status does not have that one month grace period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.