Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:52 pm

Question: how do track your order online? When I clicked on the track order tab, it asked me to call in. I also don't remember creating an account when placed order.

How long does it typically take to ship an order of 3 boxes?

Thx
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macboss
Question: how do track your order online? When I clicked on the track order tab, it asked me to call in.
As it says when you clicked, "This feature is temporarily unavailable".
Your order could take between 3 days and 3 weeks.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
As for just making a few bucks on the hassle. Take for example using a Priority Club card for the purchase and buying $5K in coins. 5000 points will get you a pointsaver night in Miami, so that is worth over $100... Here in the winter in Florida I use them for bridge tolls, fast food under $4 and most transactions under $5. Most cashiers think they are cool, and I now am wearing my cool new pin from the mint showing the program! The only real haters here are Chase bank! I have $7 on hand and just ordered 10 boxes of the native yesterday, and still have a hold on an order from last month but can't track it the past few days online. I don't remember if that one was under me or the dog and his amex card!!
How many separate orders did you make, track, and manage to get that $5K worth of coins? With the order on hold that you can't track, multiple deliveries, and all the special steps you utilize to disburse the coins, I am blown away that you feel the total amount of time you spend is worth it for a single night in a pointsaver PC hotel. Add the stress and risk, and you really are expending a lot of effort for such a small return.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:57 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Mooper - the points you make are VERY valid - It is a sad fact that many people not only for this program, but for many others - simply do not value their time perhaps the way you or I do.

There are only 2 benefits to this program that I can see:

1 - Quick way to meet minimum spend thresholds. Is it worth time hassle and risk for 750 AA miles - NO WAY !! Is it worth it for 25,750 miles - I would say YES.

So for those who do find it difficult to spend $750 in a 60 day period per card (and if you are doing this for husband and wife thats 2 cards each = $3000 in a 60 day period) then this US Mint thing helps.

2 - Meet other minimum requirements (like to gain a certain status) or perhaps you need some quick miles to top up an account.

But the thought of getting 20 boxes of coins - having to track them - the worry if they get all delivered - and then dragging them to my bank - for 5000 AA miles/SPG points or whatever, is simply not worth it to me personally. My time is far more valuable.

But to each his own - like some have said - they LOVE the buzz of collecting miles
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
... Taking advantage of the SPG AMEX offer to add authorized users to your card and earn a bonus 1000 SPG points on their first purchase (up to 2 bonuses) has worked very nicely for adding my wife and daughter. ....
You've done well!

Did you get a targeted offer to add SPG users and get the bonus points? I mean, did you need to provide an offer code to do this?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:18 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
You've done well!

Did you get a targeted offer to add SPG users and get the bonus points? I mean, did you need to provide an offer code to do this?
Doesn't seem to be targeted.

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...&showHtml=true

I would recommend printing a copy of that page in case you sign up.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
As it says when you clicked, "This feature is temporarily unavailable".
Your order could take between 3 days and 3 weeks.
Will I get an email with a tracking number from the MINT when my order is shipped?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by mooper
How many separate orders did you make, track, and manage to get that $5K worth of coins? With the order on hold that you can't track, multiple deliveries, and all the special steps you utilize to disburse the coins, I am blown away that you feel the total amount of time you spend is worth it for a single night in a pointsaver PC hotel. Add the stress and risk, and you really are expending a lot of effort for such a small return.
Well, I am going to assume you've never done this, and never will. So, I'm not sure if there is a point in stating that it's not as difficult and time consuming as you think, nonetheless, here's one last try:

Placing an order takes less than 3 minutes. Tracking it is simple, just click the track order button and put in your last name, and you can easily see the status (yes, of course it seems this past weekend that feature was down -- first time in the past 8 or so months I've used it). As far as shipping goes, now that UPS handles it, just send it to your business. They always get a signature there, and no one in my mail room is going to make off a nondescript package addressed to someone in the company they work for. Depositing to the bank? Yes, some seem to find it tedious, but, most find it simple. For myself, the bank is in the same building as my office. There's no 'lugging these coins about' type of thing going on, and, my bank has NEVER given me a problem with deposits -- I've done $3000 at one time with them. Perhaps it's because I have a high balance and thus a premium account with them? Not certain, I think they just accept them as a deposit from anyone with an account.

At any rate, why try to convince you that it's not all that tedious and risky? (at least you can make it not tedious and risky by engaging in about 30 seconds of thought). You've made your determination already, and your reasons are very valid. Then again, why keep stating over and over again how silly you think this is? This is a thread of over 1500 replies, mostly from people who have enjoyed this promotion. I think you're going to have about just as much success convincing them to stop enjoying this offer, as they are of convincing you to start doing it.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macboss
Will I get an email with a tracking number from the MINT when my order is shipped?

Thanks
Yes you do. Once the order is shipped, an email is sent to you with the details. Though if the track order function is working, you get such info usually a day earlier than the sent email.

There are several ways the Mint ship the orders - UPS, (Next Day Air or Ground), UPS-USPS, FedEx-USPS, USPS, I have seen all these methods on our orders. There is no telling which method is used, and the info on the invoice shown does not always match the actual method being used. But in general, there were only 3 reported cases on this loooong thread that people did not receive the shipments and had to go thru the procedures to clear it with the Mint. All happen ending stories though it certainly involved some aggrevations in the process.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by forextrader
But the thought of getting 20 boxes of coins - having to track them - the worry if they get all delivered - and then dragging them to my bank - for 5000 AA miles/SPG points or whatever, is simply not worth it to me personally. My time is far more valuable.
Actually I believe most folks DONT get 20 boxes of coins all at one time - just a few posts of such due to the Native American version has a much higher limit, and a few folks said they placed the full amount... In all reality, most people order much much smaller size orders, like 2 to 3 boxes each order. They are not difficult to track at all. I placed 3 orders at the same time using the internet cafe on the ship when we had 2 days left to finish the cruise. 1 arrived 2 days after we got home (we spent 2 days post cruise at LA, 1 day flying) - so the earliest shipment was 7 days post order. 1 arrived last Friday afternoon. 1 the USPS just confirmed it received electronic notification from shipper on 02/16. So they have worked out well. I placed another smallish order a few days ago and it was on hold status for 2 days before the Mint system went down. This is the only order that has unknown status.

It really is not that hard, considering I have only one single residence address to use.

And YES, it helped funding 7 AA cards, though 3 of them only used $500 from the Mint, rest from regular spendings.

No cruise in sight for the next 7 months so no easy funding and I do appreciate the Coins.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Just took another batch of $1,500 to my local Chase Bank today. I went through the commercial lane in the drive-through, which has a pretty heavy pass through window (or so I thought). I had only placed $750 worth in the pass through when the outer part of it broke free, fell on the ground and scratched my car door in the process. It was my fault for being an idiot and putting three boxes of the things in the pass-through, and I told them that. However, the manager was extremely apologetic and had me sign an incident report and told me to get the car fixed - they would pay for it.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
However, the manager was extremely apologetic and had me sign an incident report and told me to get the car fixed - they would pay for it.
Make sure you charge the repair -- even more miles!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Placing an order takes less than 3 minutes. Tracking it is simple, just click the track order button and put in your last name, and you can easily see the status (yes, of course it seems this past weekend that feature was down -- first time in the past 8 or so months I've used it). As far as shipping goes, now that UPS handles it, just send it to your business. They always get a signature there, and no one in my mail room is going to make off a nondescript package addressed to someone in the company they work for. Depositing to the bank? Yes, some seem to find it tedious, but, most find it simple. For myself, the bank is in the same building as my office. There's no 'lugging these coins about' type of thing going on, and, my bank has NEVER given me a problem with deposits -- I've done $3000 at one time with them. Perhaps it's because I have a high balance and thus a premium account with them? Not certain, I think they just accept them as a deposit from anyone with an account.

At any rate, why try to convince you that it's not all that tedious and risky? (at least you can make it not tedious and risky by engaging in about 30 seconds of thought). You've made your determination already, and your reasons are very valid. Then again, why keep stating over and over again how silly you think this is? This is a thread of over 1500 replies, mostly from people who have enjoyed this promotion. I think you're going to have about just as much success convincing them to stop enjoying this offer, as they are of convincing you to start doing it.
Many people believing something is worthwhile doesn't mean it is worthwhile. You are apparently on the efficient end of the spectrum, where (by your own words) you spend three minutes ordering each time and expend very little additional time gathering your package and depositing (let's assume another three minutes there). For six minutes of effort, you are achieving (at 2 CPM) $10 of value, or $100/hour. Not too bad, though its a "job" you aren't allowed to work many hours. Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that there is a substantial risk of an order or delivery problem (as evidenced clearly by this thread). Maybe you haven't had a problem, but there is certainly a noteworthy risk of one. When it strikes, it takes more time. What about the people (probably the majority) who take 20 minutes to order, track, and deposit? They are earning only $30/hour, and still taking on the same additional risks. At the bottom of the pile are the people who actually spend 30 minutes or more on each order... checking on its tracking, driving to the bank, or dealing with problems. That's where it borders on craziness.

I'm not telling anyone what to do, but I'm certainly trying to point out that there are a lot of people (not everyone) who are not thinking through their decision from an accurate cost/benefit angle.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I'm not telling anyone what to do, but I'm certainly trying to point out that there are a lot of people (not everyone) who are not thinking through their decision from an accurate cost/benefit angle.
I am happy to be one of the non-thinkers.
I've done this three times for $500.
That's half a free night in Lhasa this summer.
Will likely do some more after opening a Chase account tomorrow.

It is not efficient, and I don't need it to be.
This is just for fun, just a hobby, just because it is unusual.
It is not a job.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for your cost/benefit analysis. So you probably make over $$/hr hour and this would surely be a waste of time for you. But everyone has a different reason for buying or not buying the coins.

Have you really not bought any coins at all?

I am quite pleased with the 50k extra miles that my shrinking disposable budget wouldn't have been able to afford. When airlines cut back on affordable regular coach seats, I have had to use extra miles for a FC seat sometimes, and these extra miles help.

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Feb 18, 2009 at 4:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.