Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LLM
What's the worst thing that could happen if you tell the truth? One of my banks decided I was in the coin business and wanted me to open a biz account and pay a $1 fee per $1000 deposited. Annoying but not the end of the world if my other banks balk. Lying is utterly pointless, besides being wrong.
LLM, did you need to provide a business name and related documents to open a business account? Are they charging an extra service fee for FDIC? (My business account has been getting hit with this extra fee since a few months ago.)
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:47 pm

can one have multiple mint accounts?

Currently I have one mint account. I placed an order of $5K N.A. last week on one credit card. And Yesterday I placed another order of $2.5K Presidential ($500 of each presidents) on another credit card. However, I just got an email from mint that cancelled all my second order of $2.5K. I did have bought and received a some presidential boxes a few weeks ago.

I am curious whether someone could have more than one account to purchase these rolls of accounts, since it's great to have the options to keep and track the orders.

thanks!

Last edited by Nelumbo; Jul 22, 2009 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
And Yesterday I placed another order of $2.5K Presidential ($500 of each presidents) on another credit card. However, I just got an email from mint that cancelled $1K from the latter order. I did have bought and received a some presidential boxes a few weeks ago.

I am curious whether someone could have more than one account to purchase these rolls of accounts, since it's great to have the options to keep and track the orders.

thanks!
Well, if no one replies, and you decide to give it a shot, let us know because I would like to keep getting the president coins when NA are not available. I have maxed out my president orders, so I am stuck with ordering NAs.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Currently I have one mint account. I placed an order of $5K N.A. last week on one credit card. And Yesterday I placed another order of $2.5K Presidential ($500 of each presidents) on another credit card. However, I just got an email from mint that cancelled all my second order of $2.5K. I did have bought and received a some presidential boxes a few weeks ago.

thanks!
From my experience, the Presidential limits are PER ADDRESS, not per account/email address/name/phone number/credit card/etc. I've tried all of that and they still cancel the orders. Do you have any nice neighbors, a work address, relatives, etc?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL KM
I was told today there was a 20 box max on the NA coins per household. Obviously folks are blowing way past that. Is anyone running into the same issue? Got a bunch of stuff cancelled today because my son and I placed similar orders.

Is this a new policy? If not, what am I doing wrong?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:13 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
ooooops
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by LLM
What's the worst thing that could happen if you tell the truth? One of my banks decided I was in the coin business and wanted me to open a biz account and pay a $1 fee per $1000 deposited. Annoying but not the end of the world if my other banks balk. Lying is utterly pointless, besides being wrong.
Not much, but, why in 'the land of the free and the home of the brave' should we feel compelled to tell them anything?

I know I know... because in practice it's just lyrics of a song now, nothing more.

I've been always courteous and smiled when making deposits of these coins in the banks. Occasionally, the tellers asked about from where and why I got these coins. Some tellers thought I have some friends who collect coins, and I just smiled. But most often the tellers just go through the depositing process without asking these questions. I usually thank their help after they get the deposits done

BTW, I do keep the packing slips from usmint in file as suggested by FTers here.

Keep Smiling!
I don't keep them. Should I be? Have we come to the point in American History that law enforcement and the justice system will have you locked up if you neglect to save a packing receipt?

Originally Posted by Italy98
Why compromise your integrity and possibly bring unwanted and unneeded scrutiny by the DOJ which investigates criminal banking activities? What would your employer, friends and neighbors think about being interviewed by the FBI?
Wow! So, we really do believe that in the land of the free and the home of the brave someone making a large deposit in small denominated coins should garner the attention of Federal law enforcement. If they actually start dedicating resources to investigating this, I then argue that they hire way too many people and do not have enough work to do. Seriously. I have a neighbor/friend whom if interviewed about me buying $1 coins, he'd likely ask the FBI agent to go and find an evil Leprechaun and his Unicorn accomplice after the agent is done with his current investigation.

Originally Posted by LLM
Absolutely! Lying as a lifestyle does not work for anyone except Feds and banksters, not for us little people.

It's not like we are ashamed of buying coins and need to cover it up, either. We are proud and it's patriotic!
I agree you don't need to lie, but, you don't need to tell them anything either.

Wonderful, we truly now believe in transparency of the citizen and secrecy of the government.

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
For the record, I still encourage lies about the origin of your coins. Or if you're not comfortable lying, just tell them you don't want to answer their silly questions and do they ask every customer where their money comes from?
Exactly!

Stop being bullied, do you think you're going to prison for not disclosing to an hourly wage bank employee where you got the coins from? And God Forbid you forgot the packing slips! The only thing that will keep you out of jail?

Let them fill out an SAR. Yes, I know the whole SAR thing is reminiscent of Brezhnev's Moscow, fortunately an SAR filed does not mean you're guilty of a crime -- Not under current legal standards anyway.

Look, not that I welcome bringing FBI agents to my house to ask me questions about where I got the coins from, but seriously, this would be wonderfully hilarious (well after the fact of course) if this landed you in a court of law to be judged by a jury of your peers. I can see the headlines now: 'Osama Bin Laden still free, but, the $1-Coin-buying-bandit has been apprehended -- Your Federal Government has kept you safe for another day!'

Last edited by thehawk75; Jul 22, 2009 at 1:28 pm
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:36 pm

Just a sign of this deal reaching critical mass when the moral police are up in arms about telling the bank the whole truth and nothing but the truth about your scheme to abuse a federal program for frequent flier miles! This thread truly highlights why deals like this are so few and far between.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:29 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
LLM, did you need to provide a business name and related documents to open a business account? Are they charging an extra service fee for FDIC? (My business account has been getting hit with this extra fee since a few months ago.)
No, they said it would just be my name and address. They said no fees if I kept a $3K balance even though they know perfectly well I would just move the money from my personal account.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Easy Victor
I was told today there was a 20 box max on the NA coins per household. Obviously folks are blowing way past that. Is anyone running into the same issue? Got a bunch of stuff cancelled today because my son and I placed similar orders.

Is this a new policy? If not, what am I doing wrong?
There USED TO be a policy on 20 NA boxes per house. However, that was removed a month or two ago! The NA PAGE doesn't say anything about limits. Maybe an ill-informed employee.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:00 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian
. . .
Principal Skinner?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
B of A's new policy as of last Thursday to charge $3.00 per bank bag (ie; $30/$5000 coins) to deposit coins.

My local CU has started charging me $1.50/$1k of coins I bring in. They say they get charged extra from Loomis for all the extra coin. It's just a fee I've come to accept now.
They are very friendly though and take my large box ($2500) without even counting the coins.

If I go to new branches they don't charge me the fee, but then I have to show them each small box. In a lot of ways it's worth $1.50/$1k to just be in and out really fast.
If it ever gets out of hand I figure there are a lot more banks around.

Incidently, are you the same mrpickles from FBG?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Box missing!

I'm not talking about a small box of 250. I mean a BIG box that holds ten small ones. The mint clearly only shipped one box, but the order called for two. I talked to a customer service rep and she advised me to file a form that can be found on the mint's website.
This was a great deal till this happened. I'm very nervous. $2500! Yikes.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:29 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebat
I'm not talking about a small box of 250. I mean a BIG box that holds ten small ones. The mint clearly only shipped one box, but the order called for two. I talked to a customer service rep and she advised me to file a form that can be found on the mint's website.
This was a great deal till this happened. I'm very nervous. $2500! Yikes.
So you don't have a tracking number for the second box? Things went wrong last week with my $6K shipment. Without any shipping notification, 3500 showed up Wed. Then Fri they claimed they shipped but no additional tracking number. I was on hold on the phone Monday when UPS showed up with the missing box for which a tracking number never appeared on the website.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
only one

Originally Posted by LLM
So you don't have a tracking number for the second box? Things went wrong last week with my $6K shipment. Without any shipping notification, 3500 showed up Wed. Then Fri they claimed they shipped but no additional tracking number. I was on hold on the phone Monday when UPS showed up with the missing box for which a tracking number never appeared on the website.
No, there is only one tracking number. That is actually good, because it means they only shipped one box. The order requires two boxes. I'm wondering now if I should mail the CSR form. After reading your post, I'm thinking the second box will appear. If I send the complaint form, and the second box arrives, it will be a real cluster****.
I guess you really never get something for nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.