FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:31 pm
mooper

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Placing an order takes less than 3 minutes. Tracking it is simple, just click the track order button and put in your last name, and you can easily see the status (yes, of course it seems this past weekend that feature was down -- first time in the past 8 or so months I've used it). As far as shipping goes, now that UPS handles it, just send it to your business. They always get a signature there, and no one in my mail room is going to make off a nondescript package addressed to someone in the company they work for. Depositing to the bank? Yes, some seem to find it tedious, but, most find it simple. For myself, the bank is in the same building as my office. There's no 'lugging these coins about' type of thing going on, and, my bank has NEVER given me a problem with deposits -- I've done $3000 at one time with them. Perhaps it's because I have a high balance and thus a premium account with them? Not certain, I think they just accept them as a deposit from anyone with an account.

At any rate, why try to convince you that it's not all that tedious and risky? (at least you can make it not tedious and risky by engaging in about 30 seconds of thought). You've made your determination already, and your reasons are very valid. Then again, why keep stating over and over again how silly you think this is? This is a thread of over 1500 replies, mostly from people who have enjoyed this promotion. I think you're going to have about just as much success convincing them to stop enjoying this offer, as they are of convincing you to start doing it.
Many people believing something is worthwhile doesn't mean it is worthwhile. You are apparently on the efficient end of the spectrum, where (by your own words) you spend three minutes ordering each time and expend very little additional time gathering your package and depositing (let's assume another three minutes there). For six minutes of effort, you are achieving (at 2 CPM) $10 of value, or $100/hour. Not too bad, though its a "job" you aren't allowed to work many hours. Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that there is a substantial risk of an order or delivery problem (as evidenced clearly by this thread). Maybe you haven't had a problem, but there is certainly a noteworthy risk of one. When it strikes, it takes more time. What about the people (probably the majority) who take 20 minutes to order, track, and deposit? They are earning only $30/hour, and still taking on the same additional risks. At the bottom of the pile are the people who actually spend 30 minutes or more on each order... checking on its tracking, driving to the bank, or dealing with problems. That's where it borders on craziness.

I'm not telling anyone what to do, but I'm certainly trying to point out that there are a lot of people (not everyone) who are not thinking through their decision from an accurate cost/benefit angle.