Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Problem is they claim two different shipments on two different days, only one charge and that was for the smaller shipment. Do they ever say Shipped with a date and no tracking number? Says it shipped a week ago with no tracking number, what does that mean?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
So, here is the dilemma, ordered $750 in coins. $500 showed up and the tracking only shows a tracking number for one parcel yet say two different shipping days. Credit card was only charged $250, and no other holds on the card. So, there is $500 in coins and only $250 charge yet, the mint claims they shipped $750, but missing a tracking number on one parcel. Are they that far behind, or is this just our efficient government at work and this is just an economic stimulus in play?
I think one of my shipments was like this where the coins arrived but the credit card charge did not show up it. The charge did show up a couple of days later. I think just give it some time; they are not Amazon or Buy.com.

Of course, after a significant time if the coins are still "free", I'm sure you will do the right thing.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Talking

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I think one of my shipments was like this where the coins arrived but the credit card charge did not show up it. The charge did show up a couple of days later. I think just give it some time; they are not Amazon or Buy.com.

Of course, after a significant time if the coins are still "free", I'm sure you will do the right thing.
Like I said this was for a "friend", I wouldn't dare take free money from the government? The credit card still has an authorization hold for $1000 on it, not sure why, but I suspect it is the $500 x 2 for some reason.

Jim
Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Like I said this was for a "friend", I wouldn't dare take free money from the government? The credit card still has an authorization hold for $1000 on it, not sure why, but I suspect it is the $500 x 2 for some reason.
You know an awful lot about your friend's credit card.

Anyway, the charge will probably show up or you'll get an invoice by mail. The mint may be slow, but they do seem to get it together eventually.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
You know an awful lot about your friend's credit card.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold, Amex Plat
What have you been your avg "on hold" times. I made my purchase on 1/15 and I am still on hold. Is this normal? Should I call or just wait? I purchased 4 boxes (2 each of 2 diff presidents).
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:00 am
In memoriam

I ordered 500 indian and 500 prexys a couple of weeks ago. The order was on hold for two weeks and I just got an email advising it had been canceled because they couldn't process it--whatever that means.

I speculate that Amex would not approve the purchase for some wacky "reason." But who knows.

The email did say I could try to do the order again. So, I may drop to $500 total just to see what happens.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Do some coins ship sooner than others?

Ordered Washington on Jan 26th, two weeks tomorrow. just moved from on hold to in Process.

Previous order was for $500 Indians , it shipped in 7 days.

I always just order $500 of one coin, now. Larger coin orders, earlier on, had a high cancel rate.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
I've had coins delivered that I ordered a week or after other sets. With the mint you never know what to expect.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by trojanpride08
What have you been your avg "on hold" times. I made my purchase on 1/15 and I am still on hold. Is this normal? Should I call or just wait? I purchased 4 boxes (2 each of 2 diff presidents).
I ordered Jan 15 as well (1 box of Native American). The order is still on hold. I've only ordered a total of three boxes previously (one each of Adams, Quincy Adams, and Jackson) (I'm in it primarily for the novelty of the coins to use and secondarily for the points/miles).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
eCerts - Has anyone been succesful using it online?

This is the 2nd time I've gone this route and still the USMint's website won't recognize the eCert as valid.

fwiw, supposedly the Mint still has no idea why their system rejects the valid eCert.

Like last time, I was able to call and place an order over the phone using the cert but this method really is a PITA.

So, has anyone had better luck with eCerts?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by rc408
The two banks I made the deposits at US Bank and Comerica Bank did not have to break them up. They counted the rolls and that was that. I did tell them the rolls were from the US Mint / Government so I wasn't sure if the rolls could be trusted to be right.
I keep the coins in the boxes (w/ US Mint sender label), and take the receipt from the US Mint with me to show them (tellers at my credit union). I also explain what I'm doing, so trust is built up. They thank me for them, as it costs fees for them to order the coins, and they have quite a few other customers that ask for them.

Steve
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Limit?

Ok...so I've been skimming this thread and haven't noticed anyone talk about orders greater than $2,000 which comes to 8 boxes total. I've got an order I'm looking at that will allow me the following (at least what's showing in the 'cart'):

2009 Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Native American - Agriculture (N01)

$250.00 In Stock $5.95
2008 Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Andrew Jackson (Y07)

$250.00 In Stock
2007 Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - George Washington (Y06)

$250.00 In Stock
2007 Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - James Madison (Y04)

$250.00 In Stock
2007 Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Thomas Jefferson (Y03)

$250.00 In Stock

Subtotal (without Shipping & Handling): $7,000.00

This seems to imply that I can order 20 boxes of the NA coins in addition to the 2 box limit for each of the 4 available presidents for a total of 28 boxes at the above listed dollar amount.

My question is if anyone has successfully made this large of a purchase at one time? If so, did everything ship together or was it broken up into multiple shipments?

Lastly, does the imposed limit of 2 boxes (20 boxes for NA) reset at all or are you done for each item you've hit the limit on?

Thanks for any insight y'all can provide

Oh, I think the $5.95 is if you want the NA shipped in a gift box....I just copy/pasted the contents of my shopping cart.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:14 pm

what happened if the coins get lost in shipment? Would they issue refund?

Has it happened to any of you?

Does it require signature upon delivery?

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by macboss
what happened if the coins get lost in shipment? Would they issue refund?

Has it happened to any of you?

Does it require signature upon delivery?

Thanks
For myself its been a 50/50 shot for requiring a signature... I think it might be a function of how much one orders... the more the higher the chance...

But its still irregular

No I have not lost any change yet in the mail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.