Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
Both of my SimplyCash cards had been reliably earning 5% rewards at Staples and OD/OM; however, my SimplyCash is no longer showing 5% back at OD/OM for purchases on December 14 and 15. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? And I've not yet reached the $50k cap at office supply stores for rewards, so this isn't the issue.
Cash back status doesn't show right away -- check after a week
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by Jatan
Cash back status doesn't show right away -- check after a week
You're totally right! AXP even says "category bonus CB will post within 5 business days of purchase on the statement breakout of each charge." Facepalm!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
You're totally right! AXP even says "category bonus CB will post within 5 business days of purchase on the statement breakout of each charge." Facepalm!
Is this card a Amex business card?

And are you earning any cash back on your GC purchases? (rather than just the 5% bonus?)
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by radonc1
Is this card a Amex business card?

And are you earning any cash back on your GC purchases? (rather than just the 5% bonus?)
AXP simplyCash+ biz card; it pays 5% cashback on office supply purchases up to $50k/year.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:40 am

Amex Business Cards Dead?

Amex BBP purchase on 12/15 is not showing up......yet

could be posting slower than usual....

Last edited by bailey911; Dec 18, 2019 at 6:48 am
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bailey911
Amex BBP purchase on 12/15 is not showing up......yet

could be posting slower than usual....
It has been known for some time that Amex personal cards (issued by Amex) earn no rewards for GC purchases at Staples (and OM as well). I have tested this several times with several different Amex personal cards and reviewed my monthly statements with the above results being confirmed.

Now I wonder if Amex has not extended the "courtesy" to their business cards as well. If true, this will definitely be a change in reward behavior by Amex.

Please let us know if you get your 5% bonus on the Amex business card. And include whether you even got the standard 1% CB for ordinary purchases on your GC purchase.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:40 am

I've had no issue getting 5% on my business Simply Cash card.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:31 am

I'm having a problem where every order i make gets cancelled without explanation. Called up and they said it's a problem with address verification but they didn't offer any solutions. Seems to fit as when i made purchase the online system suggested i change the format of my address which i did though that obviously didn't fix problem. Anyone got any helpful hints?

Last edited by lrbatch; Dec 18, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
To those who are generally restricted to just 1 card: have you ever tried going Saturday night during the last few hours of business to see if you have better luck? Might have just been a different manager on duty than during the week, or they knew they had a rack full and weren't going to run out and have people complain, but it has worked for me. Just something to try.
Store in midtown Manhattan let me know that they are fine to sell up to 10 x $200 cards to anyone. Max purchase $2,000. They had an entire boxful of them sitting behind the register counter. As always YMMV.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by deker0
Store in midtown Manhattan let me know that they are fine to sell up to 10 x $200 cards to anyone. Max purchase $2,000. They had an entire boxful of them sitting behind the register counter. As always YMMV.
Wow, about the last location I would expect to let the drawbridge down.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Wow, about the last location I would expect to let the drawbridge down.
I agree - I wasn't expecting that when they told me. But I did see that they had a ton of cards in a box, so might be they over-ordered and want to clear out the inventory before the sale ends.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by radonc1
I actually have tried that gambit with a store that was strictly a 1 per purchase site.

This was the one time I actually asked if they would extend the courtesy and let me buy 2 (within 1 hour of closing on the last day of the sale).

They said nope
My store limit is cashier-dependent. Yesterday, the cashier told me the limit is one but if I go back into the store and get back in line she has not problem with repeat sales. Says she has another customer that does it.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:48 pm

We might go to the same store. I always thought I was special.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:41 am

No purchase fee on $200 VGCs at Staples next week. The usual restrictions.
ninim2200, cuthroat and moflyer2k like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
No purchase fee on $200 VGCs at Staples next week. The usual restrictions.
Nice, just in time to meet MSR for companion pass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.