Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yugi
It's 5x UR, also 10% back with Amex and 2x MR.
Chase also had a few offers ranging from $20 to $34 back. And you can cash UR at 1c each.
​​​​
I dont care if its 50 cents on the dollar back! Id like to think I have the proper priorities in life (not saying others dont) so right now my Safety and Health is # 1,2 3 4,5 ..... 1,000,000 And below the bottom is earning more pts,miles or CB

That said Im sure once it passes and its back to biz sort of like we knew it , there will be many opportunities to cash in as everyone wants to get their biz, and if not so be it.

Plus Im not looking forward to doing a road trip to unload the cards, done that 2 weeks ago and I promised myself no more for now, I must go out of state to unload all the power to you if everything is in your backyard, but even if it was for me I still wouldnt do it
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
I dont care if its 50 cents on the dollar back! Id like to think I have the proper priorities in life (not saying others dont) so right now my Safety and Health is # 1,2 3 4,5 ..... 1,000,000 And below the bottom is earning more pts,miles or CB

That said Im sure once it passes and its back to biz sort of like we knew it , there will be many opportunities to cash in as everyone wants to get their biz, and if not so be it.

Plus Im not looking forward to doing a road trip to unload the cards, done that 2 weeks ago and I promised myself no more for now, I must go out of state to unload all the power to you if everything is in your backyard, but even if it was for me I still wouldnt do it
It obviously isn't hard to buy the gift cards this week at Staples, and if you buy MOs in supermarkets, you're probably stopping in anyway to buy some food. I have found that some banks have closed their lobbies, so that adds a level of difficulty, but most banks have online deposit capability. Bottomline, I think this is a tough week to do a lot of MS in many parts of the country, but if you have a situation with a particularly generous credit card spend (like 10% with that AMEX offer), some might find it worthwhile to do a small about of Staples gift cards. There are many states with only a handful of new virus cases; your risk in some of these places of getting the virus is comparable to that of having a car accident on your way to the store.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
It obviously isn't hard to buy the gift cards this week at Staples, and if you buy MOs in supermarkets, you're probably stopping in anyway to buy some food. I have found that some banks have closed their lobbies, so that adds a level of difficulty, but most banks have online deposit capability. Bottomline, I think this is a tough week to do a lot of MS in many parts of the country, but if you have a situation with a particularly generous credit card spend (like 10% with that AMEX offer), some might find it worthwhile to do a small about of Staples gift cards. There are many states with only a handful of new virus cases; your risk in some of these places of getting the virus is comparable to that of having a car accident on your way to the store.
Im based in the smack middle of The USs epicenter= NYC, if I dont venture out of state I have just 1 supermkt location to play with , if I head out of state to my reg route area I can unload 60 cards w/o any problem, doing split payments of 2 per each MO and walkout with 2 MOs. Now if the 2 Staples near me will insist the limit is 1 per day per person as they have in the past who knows and not worth finding out.

I have a number of friends that are in tremendous pain and just trying to get out of bed is hard and trying to walk forget about it, TG they have no breathing issues, If I NEED something I have no problems going out and did in fact today, but I get what I need and right back into my cave. I cant justify to myself putting my life in danger or in the least having to endure the pain my friends have to simply to get a few more pts, miles or $s So its going to Staples, then out of State to unload min 15 stops, then to the banks over a few days, too many needless times to open myself up to catching the CV, with people who probably arent doing much to prevent themselves from getting it

Im perfectly happy to leave all the cards for You and anyone else who wants them this time around, could be your local is alot better suited then mine is and the #s by you arent anywhere what they are by me
Happy likes this.

Last edited by craz; Mar 25, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
That still doesn't entice me to risk my money on MCGCs when people were short changed last time and I never heard how the problem got resolved.
If you're talking about the problem with the MC funds being drained but the purchase denied, it looks like people got the money back in late Dec/Jan.
Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
If you're talking about the problem with the MC funds being drained but the purchase denied, it looks like people got the money back in late Dec/Jan.
Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)
Thanks. I looked at the thread, but did not see anyone stating that the problem had been resolved. Were you one of the affected persons?

Has the original problem been fixed? I.E. we don't have to worry about cards being drained in the future without a MO being generated?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:02 am

Thanks. I looked at the thread, but did not see anyone stating that the problem had been resolved. Were you one of the affected persons?
I was not affected directly. I had bought some MC cards from Staples, but since other people were having problems, I decided to wait until the problem was resolved before I converted to MO. When people said they were getting their money back, I went ahead and liquidated without problem.

Has the original problem been fixed? I.E. we don't have to worry about cards being drained in the future without a MO being generated?
TBH, I haven't read that the problem was resolved. But people stopped posting about it, and the ones that were affected by it got their money back, so I just assumed.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by craz
I decided to simply sit it out and stay away from alot of folks that most likely arent taking this in as serious manner. At least in the Wallys Ive been to when I last unloaded over a week ago

Rather be safe then sorry and for what some miles,pts or 2% back NOT WORTH IT
I'm with you, and will be remaining at home. It certainly is not worth risking my health. Of course, there are many invincible people out there.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
I was not affected directly. I had bought some MC cards from Staples, but since other people were having problems, I decided to wait until the problem was resolved before I converted to MO. When people said they were getting their money back, I went ahead and liquidated without problem.

TBH, I haven't read that the problem was resolved. But people stopped posting about it, and the ones that were affected by it got their money back, so I just assumed.
I had read that the resolution was to drain less than $200 from the card, in other words using $199 off the card. Was this your method of resolution? Or were you back to $200/card without issue?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:37 am

I had read that the resolution was to drain less than $200 from the card, in other words using $199 off the card. Was this your method of resolution? Or were you back to $200/card without issue?
I feel really weird asking to split payment over more than 2 cards. I usually ask for an MO for ~$395, draining the complete $200 from one card, and $195.88 from the other. I finish the 2nd card off the next time I go thru a fast-food drive-thru.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:30 pm

Press report that Staples recently informed landlords that it will not pay April rents for its U.S. stores, even though the locations remain open
https://www.axios.com/staples-refuse...spm&stream=top
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:30 pm

Bought 2 VGC @ 200 from staples online over the weekend and used the Alaska mileage portal and got 400 miles credited today. Thought it was interesting since on the portal itself it says *does not include GC. Anyone know of any other portals that still track staples VGC?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by will_give_tp_for_miles
Bought 2 VGC @ 200 from staples online over the weekend and used the Alaska mileage portal and got 400 miles credited today. Thought it was interesting since on the portal itself it says *does not include GC. Anyone know of any other portals that still track staples VGC?
well i was just looking into doing that yesterday. I was focusing on rakuten and topcashback to simply cancel the fee on the $300s and avoid trips to the store when the deals back on $200s. topcashback states no way no how on gift cars, but no such warning on rakuten. but 2% back on 3% fee, Ill just wait it out. very interesting portal didnt pick up that it was a gift card. I also tried some coupon codes to knock off the fess but staples is smarter than that and VGCs proved to be ineligible items. I would do 2x UR, which should be perfect for canceling the VGC fee if it actually awarded the points.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by LUVs_2_Fly
well i was just looking into doing that yesterday. I was focusing on rakuten and topcashback to simply cancel the fee on the $300s and avoid trips to the store when the deals back on $200s. topcashback states no way no how on gift cars, but no such warning on rakuten. but 2% back on 3% fee, Ill just wait it out. very interesting portal didnt pick up that it was a gift card. I also tried some coupon codes to knock off the fess but staples is smarter than that and VGCs proved to be ineligible items. I would do 2x UR, which should be perfect for canceling the VGC fee if it actually awarded the points.
I believe Rakuten doesn't track based off of DPs i read somewhere but not sure about topcashback
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:57 am

I believe Rakuten doesn't track based off of DPs i read somewhere but not sure about topcashback
When they had in-store for Staples the GCs would track but nearly always get clawed back. It's been a while, so can't recall if it was the old ebates or someone else that would sometimes track but also get clawed back. Nothing is safe until paid out.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:03 pm

EDIT: spoke too soon. I see in my account a pending transaction of -400 miles was too good to be true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.