Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:12 pm

Staples is overdue for offering a fee free VGC week. I wonder when this is going to happen.
Old May 2, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Placed order 4/20

I haven't received an order I placed 4/20. Informed delivery doesn't show anything today either. Are they delayed due to covid? Anyone have similar experience?
Old May 2, 2020, 12:00 pm

Mine took a week and a half
Old May 8, 2020, 2:44 am

do staples stores sell supermarket GCs like Safeway's? Thx
Old May 8, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by danhouston
do staples stores sell supermarket GCs like Safeway's? Thx
They do sell a variety of GCs at their kiosk. However, since Safeway and Kroger are not in my area's market location, I have not seen nor expect to see their cards here.

Why got go on-line and see what cards Staples does sell? That might give you an answer.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
They do sell a variety of GCs at their kiosk. However, since Safeway and Kroger are not in my area's market location, I have not seen nor expect to see their cards here.

Why got go on-line and see what cards Staples does sell? That might give you an answer.
staples.com does have safeway but has an extra $2 fee for physical card delivery.... stores in my area are far, so thought to ask; have the amex 10% off, want to use it sooner rather than later
Old May 8, 2020, 8:33 am

staples.com does have safeway but has an extra $2 fee for physical card delivery.... stores in my area are far, so thought to ask; have the amex 10% off, want to use it sooner rather than later
You now know that they sell grocery chain store gift cards.
I would next call my local Staples and ask them to look for the cards you want and see if they carry them.

I think that the CSRs may have time to look since the Staples I have been to lately haven't exactly been teeming with customers

Finally, will Amex give you credit for buying a GC? I thought that Amex had canned that months ago. (Or was it only for V and MCGCs?)
Old May 8, 2020, 12:01 pm

So paid the $2 fee.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:29 am

You now know that they sell grocery chain store gift cards.
I would next call my local Staples and ask them to look for the cards you want and see if they carry them.

I think that the CSRs may have time to look since the Staples I have been to lately haven't exactly been teeming with customers

Finally, will Amex give you credit for buying a GC? I thought that Amex had canned that months ago. (Or was it only for V and MCGCs?)
did get a stmt cr from the amex offer last yr for VGC purch there in store; for this yr, some folks who purch online also got smt cr

for signup bonus however, best to avoid

Last edited by danhouston; May 9, 2020 at 8:35 am
Old May 9, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by gw14
So paid the $2 fee.
plan to buy more than 1; doesn't make sense to pay multiple fee as local stores have it for no fee
Old May 9, 2020, 8:53 am

did get a stmt cr from the amex offer last yr for VGC purch there in store; for this yr, some folks who purch online also got smt cr

for signup bonus however, best to avoid
I guess I am going to sign up for the statement credit and buy a GC
Old May 23, 2020, 8:05 pm

Anyone hear if Staples is having any fee free Visa GC promos?
Old May 24, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Anyone hear if Staples is having any fee free Visa GC promos?
I suspect that Staples and OM/OD are suffering in the same way that all brick and mortar retailers are, in that there are no physical customers for the most part currently entering their stores (presuming that they are open). I don't think that a VGC promotion that interests a minuscule fraction of their customer base is going to increase floor traffic.

So I believe that we have seen the last of these offerings until the retail trade returns to a more normal level (if that ever occurs )
Old May 24, 2020, 11:16 am

I suspect that Staples and OM/OD are suffering in the same way that all brick and mortar retailers are, in that there are no physical customers for the most part currently entering their stores (presuming that they are open). I don't think that a VGC promotion that interests a minuscule fraction of their customer base is going to increase floor traffic.

So I believe that we have seen the last of these offerings until the retail trade returns to a more normal level (if that ever occurs )
Isn't that more of a reason to offer this type of promotion so that it can encourage folks like us to go into the B&M stores to buy things?
Old May 24, 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Isn't that more of a reason to offer this type of promotion so that it can encourage folks like us to go into the B&M stores to buy things?
You must be right since it appears that OD/OM just opened up a save $10 on $100 VGC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.