Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!

20$ VGC rebate for 300$ VGC purchase coming back next week (Sun-Sat as always)
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by perkunas
20$ VGC rebate for 300$ VGC purchase coming back next week (Sun-Sat as always)
as always limit 1 per purchase

not like used to be where I could go in and buy 20 of them

good old days
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by misterno

good old days
YMMV for you then.

Rebate is limit 1 per household.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:45 am

good old days
YMMV, plenty of stores will let you do two transactions. I'll do that twice or thrice next week, don't know that I have more than 6 addresses.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:32 pm

good old days
Do you know if they allow you to split payments for the VGC and how many payments? Since I can buy only one card to get this rebate, not much room for trial and error experimentation. Wondering how many FB cards I can use + regular CR to get to $300. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: $300 + fee that is

Last edited by DjRocket; Jan 19, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

My Staples temporarily will only take cash for all transactions.

Their internet is down and they said its AT&Ts network that is fown.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I happened to be in NYC today so Staples was a stop on my way back to LGA to grab some cards. Houston is a bit of a staples desert and the 1 convenient location often never has cards during these promos.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
Do you know if they allow you to split payments for the VGC and how many payments? Since I can buy only one card to get this rebate, not much room for trial and error experimentation. Wondering how many FB cards I can use + regular CR to get to $300. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: $300 + fee that is
my go-to Staples manager allows paying with Staples GC/VGC where I tell them amount (not sure if these auto drains) and I pay the balance with either Ink or Simplycash+. As always, YMMV so try it at your store and see.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:30 pm

So something unique has happened to me today: I instructed the cashier to ring up 2 x fixed denomination VGCs and one of the card showed up at 206.95 whereas the other posted as $200 even!
I asked the cashier to try it again and once again it posted without the fee. Finally I was told to grab a different card from the shelve and this time around the fees posted.
Anyway, I was being honest so I don't feel bad about the missed opportunity.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
So something unique has happened to me today: I instructed the cashier to ring up 2 x fixed denomination VGCs and one of the card showed up at 206.95 whereas the other posted as $200 even!
I asked the cashier to try it again and once again it posted without the fee. Finally I was told to grab a different card from the shelve and this time around the fees posted.
Anyway, I was being honest so I don't feel bad about the missed opportunity.
u probably saved urself a trip back to the store & some inconvenience; if the fee didn't ring up or show, the card was bad or wasn't activated; happened to me once & had to return to the store to get a refund for $200; didn't realize til getting error & learning that the card had 0 balance

Last edited by danhouston; Jan 22, 2017 at 5:48 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
if the fee didn't ring up or show, the card was bad or wasn't activated; happened to me once & had to return to the store to get a refund
Phewww, dodged a bullet there!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
u probably saved urself a trip back to the store & some inconvenience; if the fee didn't ring up or show, the card was bad or wasn't activated; happened to me once & had to return to the store to get a refund for $200; didn't realize til getting error & learning that the card had 0 balance
Same thing happened to me earlier today with one card not having a fee. I gave the cashier two $200 vgc's and he scanned both but only one seemed to actually ring up. Told him one of them must have not scanned properly so he voided the one that did ring up and re-scanned it along with the second vgc. End result was the first one not applying the activation fee so I got both for $406.95.

I checked the balance on them both immediately and they were both loaded fine. Drained them to bluebird later.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Have we tested them all?

Wiki says: As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

All of them? Has anyone tested them all yet? If not, I will be with 5Backs soon.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:40 pm

i did 3 transactions of 200x2 on the same card. I submitted the rebates to 3 totally different people/addresses. the issue is, i gave them my staples rewards phone number by accident. any idea if this will void the 2 additional rebates?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jeam3130
i did 3 transactions of 200x2 on the same card. I submitted the rebates to 3 totally different people/addresses. the issue is, i gave them my staples rewards phone number by accident. any idea if this will void the 2 additional rebates?
If you duplicated anything you will only get one rebate for how many times you used anything more than once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.