Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:03 am

Staples is offering in-store fee-free $200 MCGC from today 3/22-3/28.

With all the past issues regarding MCGC's, does anyone have any DP's on issues with organic spend? Thinking of paying individual people for services but don't want them to have issues using as cash equivalent.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ms069279
Staples is offering in-store fee-free $200 MCGC from today 3/22-3/28.

With all the past issues regarding MCGC's, does anyone have any DP's on issues with organic spend? Thinking of paying individual people for services but don't want them to have issues using as cash equivalent.
Something tells me demand for these will be tepid. Many people probably don't want to go to the store to buy them, much less go to a different store to liquidate them (I grabbed some disposable plastic gloves from a gas station to use when I need to punch in numbers on a supermarket keypad). And, realistically, how many people are thinking about accumulating points for travel right now?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
something tells me demand for these will be tepid. Many people probably don't want to go to the store to buy them, much less go to a different store to liquidate them (i grabbed some disposable plastic gloves from a gas station to use when i need to punch in numbers on a supermarket keypad). And, realistically, how many people are thinking about accumulating points for travel right now?

🖐️
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:06 pm

My concern is getting stuck with a bunch of $200 cards. Grocery stores are a mess right now and the $200s are such a pain to get rid of.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:40 pm

Me.
My go to store only sold 1 per person today. (I have never seen the cashier or any of the staff before) My city is on lockdown effective tonight so its likely my last purchase for a while.
This environment we are in will be around for a long time. I cant wait to be traveling again and hopefully will have a healthy balance when the world is ready for travel.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by kajukenbo
My concern is getting stuck with a bunch of $200 cards. Grocery stores are a mess right now and the $200s are such a pain to get rid of.
I agree
Furthermore, I never have heard a successful resolution of the cards being drained for MOs that were never issued.

Have those people gotten their money back, yet?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I've bought a few in the last few days. Staples is still open.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
I've bought a few in the last few days. Staples is still open.
I guess it varies by state, but for those states in lockdown, Staples seems to have somehow gotten themselves classified as an "essential business."

That said, dealing with $200 gift cards is kind of a bridge too far in the current virus crisis. Some of us have access to supermarket gift card deals that involve buying $500s for free gas, and if you're going to do any of this MS, that probably makes more sense now. That said, most of us are also not going to use a lot of gas in the next month. These promos seem to be scheduled months in advance and kind of run on autopilot, but I do wonder if any of them will now be pulled. Of course, what's really the downside of running the promos, even if they're barely used?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
I guess it varies by state, but for those states in lockdown, Staples seems to have somehow gotten themselves classified as an "essential business."

That said, dealing with $200 gift cards is kind of a bridge too far in the current virus crisis. Some of us have access to supermarket gift card deals that involve buying $500s for free gas, and if you're going to do any of this MS, that probably makes more sense now. That said, most of us are also not going to use a lot of gas in the next month. These promos seem to be scheduled months in advance and kind of run on autopilot, but I do wonder if any of them will now be pulled. Of course, what's really the downside of running the promos, even if they're barely used?
My guess is an office supply store sells things that those business that can still be open will need to do business, thats besides having some household items as well and being able to supply things folks need to keep busy while at home. So its not like essentials as food but its alot more then being shoe store or furniture store.They do sell items that people do need and if a person isnt going into their office or place of work, how do they up getting those items they need to work from home
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by craz
My guess is an office supply store sells things that those business that can still be open will need to do business, thats besides having some household items as well and being able to supply things folks need to keep busy while at home. So its not like essentials as food but its alot more then being shoe store or furniture store.They do sell items that people do need and if a person isnt going into their office or place of work, how do they up getting those items they need to work from home
Yep, the SF Bay Area county shelter in place orders include the the following as Essential Businesses:

Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home;

Businesses that supply other essential businesses with the support or supplies necessary to operate
;

Not sure yet if I’ll get in on the MC deal. Depends on how close I am to the spending target on a CC retention offer that I’m working on.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I received an email from OD today which says that you need to order online and then pickup at a store. I've seen nearby BestBuy is doing drive-through pickups and not allowing anybody to enter the store.
I've been to the local CU, the lobby was closed, but I was able to deposit MO at drive through lane via pneumatic mail system.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yugi
I received an email from OD today which says that you need to order online and then pickup at a store. I've seen nearby BestBuy is doing drive-through pickups and not allowing anybody to enter the store.
I've been to the local CU, the lobby was closed, but I was able to deposit MO at drive through lane via pneumatic mail system.
Im on vacation at least MS wise, since I earn miles and pts and they cant be used at the present and I dont want to hold onto cards that may be compromised nor MOs that I cant deposit. I decided to simply sit it out and stay away from alot of folks that most likely arent taking this in aserious manner. At least in the Wallys Ive been to when I last unloaded over a week ago

Rather be safe then sorry and for what some miles,pts or 2% back NOT WORTH IT
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Im on vacation at least MS wise, since I earn miles and pts and they cant be used at the present and I dont want to hold onto cards that may be compromised nor MOs that I cant deposit. I decided to simply sit it out and stay away from alot of folks that most likely arent taking this in aserious manner. At least in the Wallys Ive been to when I last unloaded over a week ago

I am afraid I am at greater risk at my job than walking into a retail store and purchasing an item.

That still doesn't entice me to risk my money on MCGCs when people were short changed last time and I never heard how the problem got resolved.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:13 pm

My local Staples had Clorox wipes in stock, so I figured that was an acceptable enough reason to stop in. Limit was 1 on the wipes, but was allowed 10 MGC.

They had a sign on the front door limiting occupancy to 25 people.. Not sure they even had 25 people in the store on Black Friday.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:01 pm

It's 5x UR, also 10% back with Amex and 2x MR.
Chase also had a few offers ranging from $20 to $34 back. And you can cash UR at 1c each.
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.