Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
The "corporate" is not enforcing the 1 card limit this time. So the store manager can't really say much about it. I think store does want to sell more cards to look better.

Bought $2k today.
At two different Staples stores today, I took four $200 MCGCs to the cash register, but was allowed to purchase only one card in each store.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:29 am

I went to 3 stores yesterday. 10 at first stop. Zero at second store (But told to come back tomorrow). Only allowed one at third store, I told cashier that there is no limit in the ad. She checked and agreed, then asked manager (i think) and manger said only one because they don't have that many.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: none
For whatever reason, 2 store near me always calls manager when any visa or mc transaction happens, of course, they limit one only regardless what ad says.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by mySimon411
For whatever reason, 2 store near me always calls manager when any visa or mc transaction happens, of course, they limit one only regardless what ad says.
A lot of places are like this because they have been told by the regional mgr to only allow 1 VGC during promo week. That information gets convoluted in a multitude of ways and various mgrs have implemented their own store policies that go even futher. One store I used to use keeps all Visa and MC in the closet locked behind the counter. So if you didn't know any better, you would think they were always sold out of visa/mc. But if you ask the CSR will have to radio to the mgr on duty to come open the closet and get one Visa/MC out. I was once told by a CSR that since I cam in on a Monday I couldn't do one the following Wednesday since I'd already used the promo that states "one per customer." If you live even remotely close to an Office Depot those deals are much better as you can always get two, and when they do the $15 off $300 for visa that works out to 3 fee free with no troubles. There are some Staples in remote areas that still work for the higher amounts.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by mySimon411
Not that unusual.
I have stores that call the manager to okay a GC purchase when it exceeds that store's limit, which is usually (in my case) $800.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Not that unusual.
I have stores that call the manager to okay a GC purchase when it exceeds that store's limit, which is usually (in my case) $800.
Some stores have the CSR call the manager for every VGC or MCGC purchase, no mater how many you purchase.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Some stores have the CSR call the manager for every VGC or MCGC purchase, no mater how many you purchase.
Geeze....

Then I love my store. Can get $2k everyday if I like. Love those MC more than the VC.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Geeze....

Love those MC more than the VC.
what makes MCGC better?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
what makes MCGC better?
That's a head-scratcher for me too, in fact I asked him the exact same question.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:38 am

Me too. I only go for the MC offers now. I hold out to use up my ink's for MC offers. Much easier for me to liquidate in the big city with no Wally's.
I did buy my cashier a couple candy bars today.. Told her how much I appreciate being able to buy these.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by yanxfann
That's a head-scratcher for me too, in fact I asked him the exact same question.
Often times the MCGCs can be used with Plastiq for a 1% fee; the same can't be said for VGCs.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Any issues with buying the VGCs or MCGCs at Staples or ODOM with the Citi AA Biz cards for the MSR?

I know its a no-no for Amex SUBs and I heard one person advise that the instore purchases could have issues with Citi, but want to verify if I'm ok?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chaser123
Me too. I only go for the MC offers now. I hold out to use up my ink's for MC offers. Much easier for me to liquidate in the big city with no Wally's.
I did buy my cashier a couple candy bars today.. Told her how much I appreciate being able to buy these.

Care to elaborate on how your liquidate them in the big city?

i have stop doing all of them because my out of town supermarket has stopped taking them for money orders

not even Doing them for the SUB now!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:33 am

Purchase fees waived on $200 Visa gift cards at Staples, Nov. 3 - 16 (two weeks!). Usual restrictions.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Purchase fees waived on $200 Visa gift cards at Staples, Nov. 3 - 16 (two weeks!). Usual restrictions.
The good thing with $200 GC is that, it is under the radar and you are not subject a lot of fraud alerts like buying $2k GCs at grocery stores....

But it is a pain in the axx to liquidate those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.