Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:55 pm

Worth the trip just for the life-size cut-out of Shaq hawking printers.

photo from reddit
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ak91
Hey Guys,

I have1 sunrise VGC from Staples and 1 metabank VGC from Staples and 1 one-vanilla MCGC from sams club, I had a hard time converting them to MO's , the CSR at WM did not let me buy MO's and other stores i know only accept cash for MO, Can you guys tell me how you liquidate GC's ?
Start here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...re-2019-a.html

There aren't any shortcuts.
daddyo_daddyo likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Seeking confirmation or rebuttal of this possible datapoint: Staples registers now hard-coded to limit sale of promo VGC to one per transaction. Thanks.
I purchased 6 x $200 VGCs this morning, in two transactions, all with the same cashier. Easy peasy.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I purchased 6 x $200 VGCs this morning, in two transactions, all with the same cashier. Easy peasy.
Consider yourself very Lucky, all the places close to me in 2 different states will sell only 1, not even 2 and say 'Its 1 card per person per day'. There is 1 store where the older csrs will sell up to 10 but only if the reg mgr isnt in that day and if theres no mgr hanging around the checkout area

As for those who say its hard-coded no they arent at least in the 1/2 dz stores closest to me , its getting so bad I dont know if I walked into a Wally or Stap any more with all the csrs saying their nonsense as well as the mgrs
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:56 pm

I just stuck with OD this week since I know I can buy $2 x $200 VGCs in 1 transaction.
TyPo311 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I bought 2 VGCs in one transaction with no problem - although when I did ask if I could buy with 2 separate cards, she said I could not.

I have a $25 back at Staples offer from Amex I want to use, but that can wait for another trip. Meanwhile, I've bought like 8 cards from OD.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:34 am

I was just at Staples last night buying another 6-pack of $200 VGCs, forgot all about that Amex offer. Guess I need to go back...
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:12 am

No purchase fee on $200 MCGC starts this Sunday.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flyby01
No purchase fee on $200 MCGC starts this Sunday.
Its been a while since Ive been Stateside when Staples ran the MC promo. Does the circular say its Limit to 1 per person like the Visa usually says? If not did anyone who was limited to 1 Visa find they werent limited with the MCs?

Reason I ask is I will be back Stateside late Tues and if there is a limit I can knock off a few Staples on my way home, if they arent limiting it to 1 per person, then I can wait till Weds to start my collecting

tia
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by craz
Its been a while since Ive been Stateside when Staples ran the MC promo. Does the circular say its Limit to 1 per person like the Visa usually says? If not did anyone who was limited to 1 Visa find they werent limited with the MCs?

Reason I ask is I will be back Stateside late Tues and if there is a limit I can knock off a few Staples on my way home, if they arent limiting it to 1 per person, then I can wait till Weds to start my collecting

tia
Interestingly, I don't see the Limit 1 on this ad:

"Valid 10/20/19—10/26/19. Subject to availability. See gift cards for details, terms, conditions and (if applicable) fees. All trademarks are property of their respective owners. Product may not be available in all states. The gift cards featured are not sponsors or otherwise affiliated with this company. This card is issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC, pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated. No cash access. Mastercard and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of Mastercard International. See gift card for details, terms & conditions and (if applicable) fees."

Staples Weekly Ad

Now whether or not they limit you to 1 in store is another story.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:53 pm

Is the pin on the Mastercard by Metabank the last 4 digits of the mastercard?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by kirkpd
Is the pin on the Mastercard by Metabank the last 4 digits of the mastercard?
Yup.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:26 am

In store this morning no notice on the ad on the gift card rack and I was able to buy two.
moflyer2k likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Adirondacker
In store this morning no notice on the ad on the gift card rack and I was able to buy two.
The "corporate" is not enforcing the 1 card limit this time. So the store manager can't really say much about it. I think store does want to sell more cards to look better.

Bought $2k today.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:39 pm

Hopefully Staples goes back to the $2K rule for the VGCs whenever that promo comes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.