Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Orochimaru
Does Staples purchases work for Amex Platinum MSR? I've read some reports that they do but some say don't so just want to clarify.
You can try your luck. But AmEx sees exactly what you purchase.

I get to see some details of my Staples transaction with another brand business credit card. There are three sections of the transaction. Everything, about the details of the store, details of the purchase and the details of the transaction. It shows clearly the GCs, unit price and number of GCs purchased. I believe AmEx can see the same details. It is up to AmEx (RATS) to decide if they do anything.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Starting Sunday (from 7/21 through 7/27), Staples will waive the purchase fee on $200 MasterCard GCs.
(This will stack nicely with two sync offers you might find on your Amex cards.). The usual restrictions apply (see page 5 of weekly ad).
can anyone confirm the AMEX gets applied?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:14 pm

Amex gets applied. Went to 6 locations over and only got 1 each..
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:55 pm

I have occasional had DOSH clawed back after posting, but oddly I think its just from one store.
It brought my balance negative because I withdrew the amount. But its nice when it posts and I regularly withdraw.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat. Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
Good luck with the Ebates clawbacks from Staples VGC purchases. I've yet to have a transaction go through. Dosh shows as "pending" but eventually clears for in store purchases though.
I am new to Amex and am trying to get the ebates card to work that way with MR points. May just be better to buy them through the AA or Alaska portal as they are paying 4X. Combine that with 5x on Ink card is just as good
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edb55
I am new to Amex and am trying to get the ebates card to work that way with MR points. May just be better to buy them through the AA or Alaska portal as they are paying 4X. Combine that with 5x on Ink card is just as good
Do not know what you talking about it.

The good weekly sales are at stores, not online. Portal has nothing to do with it. If you want to use portal, you'll have to order online. You do not get good sales online. Also, most portal do not pay with GC purchases.

Keep read Wiki. You can certainly make some $$ to order online with your Chase Ink card, pay the activation fee and find a good option to cash them.

Share with us if you get better luck than we get....
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Do not know what you talking about it.

The good weekly sales are at stores, not online. Portal has nothing to do with it. If you want to use portal, you'll have to order online. You do not get good sales online. Also, most portal do not pay with GC purchases.

Keep read Wiki. You can certainly make some $$ to order online with your Chase Ink card, pay the activation fee and find a good option to cash them.

Share with us if you get better luck than we get....
Several Portals now have in store purchases including Ebates and most airline portals. With taht said, I have not been able to get a gift card purchase to pay, but they do track. I get an e-mail thanking for my in store purchase, but no points ever post. It does work for non gift card purchases, and I have never tried mixing. Staples is tough because its usually limited and when you do it, the offer drops.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chaser123
Several Portals now have in store purchases including Ebates and most airline portals. With taht said, I have not been able to get a gift card purchase to pay, but they do track. I get an e-mail thanking for my in store purchase, but no points ever post. It does work for non gift card purchases, and I have never tried mixing. Staples is tough because its usually limited and when you do it, the offer drops.
All portals clearly stated GCs do not get the CB. Most of the portals are good in policing this. You take it at your own risk. Staples is known to report all L3 data. The details of the transaction reporting is mind bugging. Every details of your purchase are reported.

Good luck with whatever you buy.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by chaser123
If the transaction shows in the ebates app under "cashback balance". Does it mean it is tracking or does it mean it is posted? or when the payout is completed? For me I have the email thanking me and it shows in the app under cashback balance.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Itzme
If the transaction shows in the ebates app under "cashback balance". Does it mean it is tracking or does it mean it is posted? or when the payout is completed? For me I have the email thanking me and it shows in the app under cashback balance.
It will sometimes post but from my experience will then get clawed back later.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:57 am

Another Week

Another week of no fee $200 VGCs starting this Sunday.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: All of them
Sounds like they're not selling so well this time. Hmm...I wonder would could have happened.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Sounds like they're not selling so well this time. Hmm...I wonder would could have happened.
Or perhaps they are selling like hot cakes and bringing customers into the shop where other items are being purchased as well
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
For each of the last two promos the only store near me sold out in one day and never restocked. But they were more than happy to try and sell me other stuff. Seems like it’s working quite well for them.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: All of them
Did you all manage to buy more than 1 per visit? They used to run out in one day when everyone around me could buy 2k per day. Now, not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.