Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I. have purchased a large number, the manager wanted to get rid of them,

Glad to help..sir,,,

At the present time 10 is the magic number,

I also card rip. Them open to help the process.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:25 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I received Citi's offer on "Computer & Electronic Stores" spending. Its store categories are like below. Staples is there.

https://www.bonuscashcenter.citicard...cs/bc_7___.htm

Do you think this GC purchase would trigger this offer? On the record, it shows like below.

Category:Merchandise - STATIONERY,OFFICE / SCHOOL SUPPLY STORES
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by DBFL
.. the manager found two that fell behind the display.
Yeah, I accidentally drop cards down there myself. I also stash cards elsewhere in the store, to defend against piggies.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Yeah, I accidentally drop cards down there myself. I also stash cards elsewhere in the store, to defend against piggies.
so, don't u think u r like one of those? as all MGRs of the local 3 stores here kept saying limit 1 per day as instructed by the corp, just ridiculous some stores still allow 10 cards or more per visit; if the corp. instruction of limit 1 is abide by, it will be fair game for all... no need to hide or stash away cards
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by danhouston
so, don't u think u r like one of those? as all MGRs of the local 3 stores here kept saying limit 1 per day as instructed by the corp, just ridiculous some stores still allow 10 cards or more per visit; if the corp. instruction of limit 1 is abide by, it will be fair game for all... no need to hide or stash away cards
Our store gets plenty. 1 or 10. Depends on the time.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by danhouston
It is fascinating to see that in the stores that adhere to the 1 per day limit, thee is a plethora of VGCs available for all to buy. It is only in those stores that don't adhere to restrictions where we see the paucity of merchandise.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
It is fascinating to see that in the stores that adhere to the 1 per day limit, thee is a plethora of VGCs available for all to buy. It is only in those stores that don't adhere to restrictions where we see the paucity of merchandise.
I think many stores have many. The managers or employees just don't restock because it slows down the checkout process. It pays to be nice to the cashiers. They grab me a new 10 pack even when the shelves are empty. I can even see where the store the cases of GC's. If the cashier doesnt't know, I point her to them. Oddly my store that never runs out are out of the MC's. I love the MC's even at full price. My store does have one GC Nazi. No GC for me. He is not even a cashier (or manager, he is tech sales person), but he backs them up when their is a line. I hate him. Thankfully when he is nit around, no one enforces.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by chaser123
I love the MC's even at full price.
why? am i missing any hidden benefits of mcgc?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
And it's the no-limit stores where stashing becomes necessary.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:26 pm

Can Staples gift cards be used to purchase prepaids?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuphat
Can Staples gift cards be used to purchase prepaids?
Na, dream on.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Its a Federal Offense !

what is, simple to purchase more then $2K in GCs in any given day, that includes all type of stores combined and all types of GCs. at least according to the mgr in the store I went to. Had 10 cards and 1 Shell $50 card, so I walked out w/o the Shell card

that said he was nice he said since the csr rang up the 10 cards hed let me have them but if I come back its 1 card per day

I really wanted to ask him if he was working at a WM till recently, these folks really come up with some lines, still dont know how I prevented myself from laughing in his face, kept my kool and thanked him and left
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Na, dream on.
To dream is a wonderful thing.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

There is only one Staples in my area. 1 card per day per person. I don't even bother ...
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:53 pm

The next time I go to a store that is OOS on promo GCs and it appears it's because of lax enforcement, I'm going to complete a store survey and ask that a district manager look into the situation. It will be easy enough for the DM to confirm by looking at transaction records. Maybe that will change how an individual stores is run.

P.S. At one store in my area, I saw this sign on the GC carousel, looks like it was made in their print center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.