Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
Ugh, my go-to store finally got nuked by a whale. I found a pack of $200 VGCs, but then was told by the store manager that he has to enforce to 1 per household rule. Never been an issue before,
Same exact thing happened to me yesterday. my store was emptied of Mastercard GC last week, and the store manager said the same phrase " one per household" oh well.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: All of them
That's why I own 10+ properties. With 10 households you can get your daily limit
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:34 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

For some reasons, they enforce limit of 1 more on the VGC than MCGC. I guess VGC is more popular?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Macken7
So I would basically would tell gal that I had debit cards and needed money order for X dollars. The gal would then end up telling me that it keeps showing up as a credit card.

Your approach of "change the mode of payment" could you elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance for your patience on this matter.
Check the Wiki. It is well described in there.
It is how I learned to do it.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:51 am

My go to has began enforcing 1 per customer. I have not spoken to the manager yet but the friendly cashier told me they have been reminded during each shift to limit one per customer and not to hide them behind the register.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well, I thought it was just my go to which all of a sudden changed their attitude. Looks like managers got memos from corporate.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by cruisr
Well, I thought it was just my go to which all of a sudden changed their attitude. Looks like managers got memos from corporate.
But Staples still can't figure out how to hard-code the registers for only 1 card per transaction...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

But Staples still can't figure out how to hard-code the registers for only 1 card per transaction...
Because corporate (not the CSR's who don't understand what's going on) would love for you to buy $2k worth on non rebate weeks. It's easier for them just to manually crack down on store managers than to code the registers during one out of every six weeks. Wish they would just do $15 off $300 like OD. Pretty soon when corporate cracks down completely it won't be worth it to go to a BM Staples for this type of thing.

What has actually transpired is that the strict stores only let you do one VGC/MCGC per transaction regardless of week. While we are loss leaders they're are still people that get these things and pay the fees and are unable to do so.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Yep and you should see the look on the mgrs face when Im denied being able to purchase all the GCs I brought up to the register and answer I fully understand its only a limit of 1 per person fee free. Im willing to pay the full fee on all the others, and he answers unfortunately theres nothing I can do as it wont charge you the fee for any of them, I answer back you're joking and with shaking his head , Im truly sorry
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
What a difference a day makes. Went back to my go to and today they let me buy 2k with no problem. Went to another and bought another 2k. The YMMV in this hobby/game can make you crazy.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Today is good at Stapes
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by satman40
Today is good at Stapes
Me too!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:50 pm

Damn my local staples which I was able to buy multiple cards in the past with a cashier I was able to buy from before limit me to 1 card per customer today. I read that there might have been a corporate memo that they sent to the stores to enforce the 1 card per customer rule.

Can anyone confirm if their friendly Staples stores/cashiers are now enforcing the 1 card per customer rule?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ericdabbs

Can anyone confirm if their friendly Staples stores/cashiers are now enforcing the 1 card per customer rule?
Very true
But as with all things MS, YMMV with the store you visit (see prior above posts )
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Damn my local staples which I was able to buy multiple cards in the past with a cashier I was able to buy from before limit me to 1 card per customer today. I read that there might have been a corporate memo that they sent to the stores to enforce the 1 card per customer rule.

It's all YMMV and depends heavily on the regional manager of your store(s) in my best guess. Keep in mind, when a store does 4k in sales a day and then sees 10k one day a regional manager may look more closely to see what exactly is the reason of the spike and VGC/MCGC are a flag for the manager to call his stores and notify them to one during rebate week (this is what manager in store told me). I think it's safe to say that there's been no strict message from the highest levels since there are plenty of stores that still don't care. If senior level management was serious they'd hard code the register during promo week.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Aug 7, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.