Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Activation Required

My online Staples order came with the activation codes. I updated the WIKI.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:10 am

No fee $200 VGC starts this Sunday.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UR and MR
Nearest staples is an hour away... wondering if it's worth the drive
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:11 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ToastedSi
Nearest staples is an hour away... wondering if it's worth the drive
For me, no. Do the math as to what gas will cost for the drive. Then do the math for the value of the points you will earn purchasing the cards. I have a card where I earn 5x points at office supply stores. That means for a $200 card, I will earn 1000 points. Let's say I value those points at 1.5 cent each. I earn $15 worth of points. I'd earn 1 cents using the card directly on however I use the gift card. Thus, the office supply purchase is really worth a 4x delta, or $12 of points. I wouldn't drive 2 hours, spending however much the gas costs, for that amount. You can play with my numbers as you like and make them your own - but it is the process I'd use to analyze the drive.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
For me, no. Do the math as to what gas will cost for the drive. Then do the math for the value of the points you will earn purchasing the cards. I have a card where I earn 5x points at office supply stores. That means for a $200 card, I will earn 1000 points. Let's say I value those points at 1.5 cent each. I earn $15 worth of points. I'd earn 1 cents using the card directly on however I use the gift card. Thus, the office supply purchase is really worth a 4x delta, or $12 of points. I wouldn't drive 2 hours, spending however much the gas costs, for that amount. You can play with my numbers as you like and make them your own - but it is the process I'd use to analyze the drive.

However if that Staples store that ToastedSi is talking about will sell more then 1 card to each person then it may be worthwhile going. But its getting very rare to find such a store and I found stores that 2 or 3 promos ago sold me 10X went down to just 1 the last promo, while a couple that were 1x sold me 10x. Then if on the way back home you unload them as well, it can be worthwhile if earning 5x on the pts.

Also I would plan to do stuff besides unloading my cards so that I could go back hours later and with a shift change get some more

Again its YMMV on how things will workout and w/o knowing if I will be restricted to just 1 card , I wouldnt travel 1 hr to find out Im SOL, unless I plan to do other things while out there
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I live a long way (25-35 minutes) from Office Supply stores in any direction. It's always been a factor in my MS activities. I used to try to hit every sale, and did more running around. Not so much anymore, for a couple of reasons. First, it seems like there are more sales then ever, so if I miss one sale, another will happen soon. Liquidation hasn't gotten any easier. I've got a nice UR balance and no immediate plans to use them- that is a factor, also. If the drive were a sure bet for $2000 worth of 5x, I'd be in. But some days, like today, the MC's are sold out at OD, so I consoled myself with a $500 Amazon card. I only did it because I was already in the door and the $500 Amazons are so easy to load. I can get Amazon cards at my grocery store- 3 minutes away- for 4x Amex points. There's no way I'd make any drive for an extra 1x point.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by craz
However if that Staples store that ToastedSi is talking about will sell more then 1 card to each person then it may be worthwhile going. But its getting very rare to find such a store and I found stores that 2 or 3 promos ago sold me 10X went down to just 1 the last promo, while a couple that were 1x sold me 10x. Then if on the way back home you unload them as well, it can be worthwhile if earning 5x on the pts.

Also I would plan to do stuff besides unloading my cards so that I could go back hours later and with a shift change get some more

Again its YMMV on how things will workout and w/o knowing if I will be restricted to just 1 card , I wouldnt travel 1 hr to find out Im SOL, unless I plan to do other things while out there
Haha. That is what I do. A visit in the morning and one in the evening. Do you know the hours cashier works? Is it typically 4 hours? Trying to see if going one more in the afternoon will work: 9 AM, 1 PM and 6 PM. However, three visits may not work; Staples near me have started to store these $200 VGCs in the back/manager's office. Manager needed to be involved; manager's hours appear to be longer than cashier.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:19 am

Seeking confirmation or rebuttal of this possible datapoint: Staples registers now hard-coded to limit sale of promo VGC to one per transaction. Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Seeking confirmation or rebuttal of this possible datapoint: Staples registers now hard-coded to limit sale of promo VGC to one per transaction. Thanks.
I bought 6 at one time yesterday morning.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:29 pm

Rebuttal
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
In my store cashier #1 says limit one per customer. Cashier #2 rings multiples in separate transactions. Cashier #3 , my favorite, will sell me five in one transaction. Also, I always leave some for the next customer.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:38 pm

Rebuttal. Able to buy $2k in one shot. Payment terminal was new but no process was different.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Wrong. Bought 2k Sunday and yesterday
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by chaser123
Rebuttal. Able to buy $2k in one shot. Payment terminal was new but no process was different.
got it, thanks
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:44 pm

Hey Guys,

I have1 sunrise VGC from Staples and 1 metabank VGC from Staples and 1 one-vanilla MCGC from sams club, I had a hard time converting them to MO's , the CSR at WM did not let me buy MO's and other stores i know only accept cash for MO, Can you guys tell me how you liquidate GC's ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.