FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:10 am
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
For me, no. Do the math as to what gas will cost for the drive. Then do the math for the value of the points you will earn purchasing the cards. I have a card where I earn 5x points at office supply stores. That means for a $200 card, I will earn 1000 points. Let's say I value those points at 1.5 cent each. I earn $15 worth of points. I'd earn 1 cents using the card directly on however I use the gift card. Thus, the office supply purchase is really worth a 4x delta, or $12 of points. I wouldn't drive 2 hours, spending however much the gas costs, for that amount. You can play with my numbers as you like and make them your own - but it is the process I'd use to analyze the drive.

However if that Staples store that ToastedSi is talking about will sell more then 1 card to each person then it may be worthwhile going. But its getting very rare to find such a store and I found stores that 2 or 3 promos ago sold me 10X went down to just 1 the last promo, while a couple that were 1x sold me 10x. Then if on the way back home you unload them as well, it can be worthwhile if earning 5x on the pts.

Also I would plan to do stuff besides unloading my cards so that I could go back hours later and with a shift change get some more

Again its YMMV on how things will workout and w/o knowing if I will be restricted to just 1 card , I wouldnt travel 1 hr to find out Im SOL, unless I plan to do other things while out there