Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
This was when Dosh was paying out 2% with a $10 daily max, so during promo week we were all getting $10 daily. OD is notorious for being unwilling or unable to track the difference in GC purchases and regular items, why Dosh cared I don't know. The problem was that OD had obviously paid out to Dosh and somehow Dosh was able to see that they were GC purchases (probably ebcause we all had similar purchase amounts day after day) and Dosh was hanging onto the money which is shady, either give the money back to OD, or give it to us, they can't just claw it back from us and keep it for themselves. The way I know this is because after about 6 months someone posted that they had Dosh finally pay them out for their OD purchases by submitting another ticket. I did the same and they paid out. Perhaps Dosh thought if they made people wait a few months they could scare them off. Now, Dosh simply does $11 a month for OD and users have to click to activate the offer, which obviously everyone hits but there is obviously a low monthly cap now. I never had Dosh threaten to shut my account down, how could they, it's my business how many GC's I purchase they don't have to pay me out that's their choice to do so. I believe some people are confusing claw backs and shut downs. Very different. Rakuten will most likely claw everyone's back as Staples doesn't pay out traditionally on GC's. OD is another ballgame, for now.
Thanks for the clarification regarding the latest with Dosh. I stopped using it after I was able to cash out and started not getting OD offers so I am not up to date on what Dosh was doing. Don't want to derail this thread since this is suppose to talk about Staples and not OD. I mean even with $11/month that is fine its better than nothing but obviously not as good as getting 2% up to $10 for every transaction.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Dosh was hanging onto the money which is shady, either give the money back to OD, or give it to us, they can't just claw it back from us and keep it for themselves. The way I know this is because after about 6 months someone posted that they had Dosh finally pay them out for their OD purchases by submitting another ticket. I did the same and they paid out. Perhaps Dosh thought if they made people wait a few months they could scare them off.
It wasn't quite that simple. Dosh did hold the money but let people who asked work their way back into the system by doing deals with them (legitimately) for X number of times. If they completed the requirement, they were readmitted and their money restored. The kicker in this deal was just how many transactions one had to do to meet Dosh's demands. For me, it was only 6 (fairly easy) but for many others, it was between twenty and more, and I suspect that the most egregious characters were either given impossible goals (100??) or not allowed back at all. If you read the Dosh thread, you will see many just gave them the finger and moved on.

I know this because I did it the six, got my money back (and out) and basically have not used them since. But I have had the OM promo show up on my app, and have studiously ignored it. For someone already once shut down but not clawed back, I would be tempting fate to repeat my behavior to a company that already has shown that they could punish me for it.
I leave it to others to goad the bull a second time after being gored once
Old Dec 20, 2023, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
It wasn't quite that simple. Dosh did hold the money but let people who asked work their way back into the system by doing deals with them (legitimately) for X number of times. If they completed the requirement, they were readmitted and their money restored. The kicker in this deal was just how many transactions one had to do to meet Dosh's demands. For me, it was only 6 (fairly easy) but for many others, it was between twenty and more, and I suspect that the most egregious characters were either given impossible goals (100??) or not allowed back at all. If you read the Dosh thread, you will see many just gave them the finger and moved on.

I know this because I did it the six, got my money back (and out) and basically have not used them since. But I have had the OM promo show up on my app, and have studiously ignored it. For someone already once shut down but not clawed back, I would be tempting fate to repeat my behavior to a company that already has shown that they could punish me for it.
Essentially what you are saying is what I said in my previous post which is at that time Dosh was requiring a number of OD vs non-OD transaction ratio of 60/40 or something like that where 60% of your transactions had to be non-OD and 40% can be OD. So based on the number of OD transactions you had the number of regular transactions you had to do was needed to unlock the money. So in your case it was only 6 but there were plenty of others that were racking up cash back OD transactions that did zero non-OD transactions so in order to get the ratio required it was like 20+ non-OD transactions.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Essentially what you are saying is what I said in my previous post which is at that time Dosh was requiring a number of OD vs non-OD transaction ratio of 60/40 or something like that where 60% of your transactions had to be non-OD and 40% can be OD. So based on the number of OD transactions you had the number of regular transactions you had to do was needed to unlock the money. So in your case it was only 6 but there were plenty of others that were racking up cash back OD transactions that did zero non-OD transactions so in order to get the ratio required it was like 20+ non-OD transactions.
Thanks for the clarification
Old Dec 22, 2023, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by radonc1

Some of the details you posted pertained to my situation, some did not. Like everyone else, I got the claw back a year ago and the "Do 25 non OD transactions and we will release it" mumbo jumbo and I simply laughed at that and moved on. I have a restaurant in town we visit 3-4 times a year so I didn't come close to completing "the requirements" which for me I believe was 20-something non OD transactions. At no point was my account shut down, they simply clawed back or I guess you could say withheld it for 5-6 months. After 5-6 months I read (probably as mentioned somewhere on FT, DoC, Reddit etc) the data point that a similar gamer had simply applied for their withholdings (just as we all did 5-6 months prior) to be released and it was granted no restrictions whatsoever within 48 hours. I then did that with my 3 dosh accounts and within 48 hours of each they replied that they would and did release it (again, none of my accounts came even close to the original guidance of 20-something non OD transactions to release). In fact, 2 of my 3 accounts have nothing but OD transactions.

As it pertains to the here and now, I got $11 last month and it was business as usual although initially it disappeared from tracking but then days later it came back and paid out. Could there be future Dosh shenanigans, sure, we will all see. Staples has been pretty consistent in denying GC claims within a week of tracking, no frills, just simply erases from your tracking. I am certainly no legal expert but if Dosh is paid out by OD, I don't think Dosh can hold onto it. While they can probably tell us to go pound sand as per their terms, I guess to me that means they would need to give the money back to OD, which I seem to think isn't feasible for a host of reasons and Dosh has decided to just pay out. Staples never pays out to Dosh, Rak, etc to begin with IMO. My guess is, we are certainly violating Dosh's terms but if they hold onto the money that OD pays them I imagine they are violating OD"s terms.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Dec 22, 2023 at 8:31 am Reason: .
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:33 am

Fee-free $200 MCGCs at Staples next week. The usual restrictions. Go wild.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:10 pm

Staples never pays out to Dosh, Rak, etc to begin with IMO. My guess is, we are certainly violating Dosh's terms but if they hold onto the money that OD pays them I imagine they are violating OD"s terms.
Well, during the Staples in store hoopla a few months ago I did two transactions, one was clawed back, the other was not. P2 did one, was clawed back. Rak check arrived yesterday, so I guess one of my staples transactions slid past them.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: none
I took advantage of the fee free gift card deal and stacked with rak10. P1 and P2 both did 4 transactions and both had $120 pending then, i never checked the update due to i rarely use raku10, but i got 30$ by PayPal and p2 got $60 few days ago, guess it clawed back some.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mySimon411
I took advantage of the fee free gift card deal and stacked with rak10. P1 and P2 both did 4 transactions and both had $120 pending then, i never checked the update due to i rarely use raku10, but i got 30$ by PayPal and p2 got $60 few days ago, guess it clawed back some.
sounds like you got 3 out of 8, not bad, I got 1 out of 3.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:40 pm

What's the maximum per day? I'm buying variable ones and they are telling me it's $1,600 just like for the $200 ones. That doesn't seem right, isn't it $2,000?
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by LukFilm
What's the maximum per day? I'm buying variable ones and they are telling me it's $1,600 just like for the $200 ones. That doesn't seem right, isn't it $2,000?
It depends on the location.
I have 2 near me. 1 lets me do 2k (they encourage it)
The other doesn’t let me to do more than 1600 (as it states on the flyers often)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
I’m seeing widely targeted 10% / $17 offers on Chase for Staples. Of course, this happened after I dropped $1K on MCGC today.

That said, no complaints and I will scoop this up on every card.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by 1120
I’m seeing widely targeted 10% / $17 offers on Chase for Staples.
Isn't the chase offers for Staples.COM...not in-store purchases?
ericdabbs and pointnfly like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Originally Posted by Burj
Isn't the chase offers for Staples.COM...not in-store purchases?
Right you are; I was a little too quick to post when I saw the discount show up. Oh well.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:23 pm

I went to staples today but the $200 visa wa OOS. I haven't purchased staples VISA gift card for long time. Can someone give me some info on staples $200 VISA
issue bank?
Default pin exists?
Can purchase MO at kroger or other grocery store or walmart?
Can be loaded to discover debit at walmart?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.