Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:15 pm

Do not do this

Originally Posted by mySimon411
I agreed with radonc1 comment, policy is there but it's always ymmv with MS or Staples. If you have time and want excise your right, call Staples CEO office at 508-253-5000 to get manager retrained or get clarification.
That is horrible advice. Call and complain about policy but not about a manager that follows the rules.
Be nice to your cashiers and they will be nice to you. The ones that let you buy 10 at no cost, be really nice to them. Let them know you appreciate it, even if its just a verbal thank you. Some cashiers think (and it may be true) that the only real sales staples does is the GC. They like having work and having customers to take care of. I live in NYC and my go to staples only has one cashier who calls for support only when there is a line. There is almost never a line (and no boss to stop her in selling more than one, the only time I get a hard time is when there is a line). I know I am lucky and I appreciate it. This is the only MS that I actual get away from desk for.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:18 am

The Visa promotion is listed again in next week’s ad circular, so last week’s two-week announcement wasn’t a misprint, as some speculated.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
On behalf of all of us, please do not call the corporate office. Ever. Please.
I recall someone here called the corporate office complaining that other can buy 10 GCs a day and he can only buy 1....

I'm not sure it is worth the time and gas to drive to the store to buy one $200 GC. But MSers can do something hard to imagine.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkpd
Just went to my local Staples and was told that the limit was ONE per PROMO period on the fee free visa promo.. I had been told previously that it was one Visa per Day.
How can you find out what the real Staples policy is on gift card promos?
Promo add states one per customer but it was always per day in the past.
"officially" it is one per customer per day.

Real officially it is depending on the decision of the store managers.

We have only 2 stores in the whole county luckily 1 of the 2 is very close to home. Yet this store has changed from 2 per customer to 1 per customer to 1 per household. New managers in place, all gift card transactions, incl retailers' can only be sold by managers. One of these managers flat out say Staples lose money on selling the VGCs, it is a tool to get customers to visit the store... Yeah, a "loss leader" except he did not say it out...
It is so inefficient even it is just 20 min r/t from home, if there is no other errands together, I would not be bothered to go. OD is far friendlier and far many more stores (its HQ is in the neighboring county).
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by craz
I unloaded last week 52 Staples MCs and 6 SnS MCs w/o a single problem with any of them
What about for VGCs? Anyone had luck unloading those?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by deker0
What about for VGCs? Anyone had luck unloading those?
I've dumped VGCs at WM without issue.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by radonc1
I've dumped VGCs at WM without issue.
Thank you! I have a CVS that is much much closer to me than Walmart, so that would be preferable, but not all of them offer MO. I'll have to stop by my store and check.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:54 am

Thank you! I have a CVS that is much much closer to me than Walmart, so that would be preferable, but not all of them offer MO. I'll have to stop by my store and check.
Staples/Meta Visa/MC GCs won't work at CVS to buy MO.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Staples/Meta Visa/MC GCs won't work at CVS to buy MO.
Got it, thanks. Sounds like I'll have to trek it out to Walmart most likely.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:31 pm

Got it, thanks. Sounds like I'll have to trek it out to Walmart most likely.
Or Dollar General or Family Dollar.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:36 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Or Dollar General or Family Dollar.
Oh nice. I didn't know that they sold MOs.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:16 am

Oh nice. I didn't know that they sold MOs.
Yeah sorry they don’t I was referring to serve/BB. Apologies I must have been half asleep. 🤦.♂️🤦.♂️🤦.♂️
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Yeah sorry they don’t I was referring to serve/BB. Apologies I must have been half asleep. 🤦.♂️🤦.♂️🤦.♂️
No worries, think you meant to reference this: https://www.dollargeneral.com/green-...bank-card.html
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:55 pm

Likely OT, but -- In store today, chatted with an assistant manager who rang me up. He mentioned that this was his 25th straight day working, open to close. He wasn't really complaining, just said it had to be done because difficulty of finding staff. Managing a retail store has to be one of the most thankless white collar jobs in America today.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuphat
Likely OT, but -- In store today, chatted with an assistant manager who rang me up. He mentioned that this was his 25th straight day working, open to close. He wasn't really complaining, just said it had to be done because difficulty of finding staff. Managing a retail store has to be one of the most thankless white collar jobs in America today.
The hourly wage is too low comparing to other low skill jobs. Also be it at Staples or at ODOM, many cashiers are part time employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.