Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by cashcyclone
In my case small is $50-$200 balances. I usually do 2 x $500. Just wonder if anyone has done 6-12 swipes for $1000 MO and want to share experience.
I think I've done to at least 7 or 8 swipes.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by diseased
I wouldn't even attempt to pull off a 'palm method' in my area. My main WF debit card is red which is glaringly different from the silver OVs. Maybe the payment terminals are different in some places but the ones nearby are open and on the counter so the po clerk can easily see what you're using.
Every time I've swiped a GC at the PO, it has been signature side toward the clerk.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
NY area. Sounds totally consistent with what I heard today. First woman made clear she was looking for bank logo when checking card. Second woman at different USPS just asked me what bank it was. Had a strong feeling she would ask to see it if I said, Citi, Chase, etc. So I talked my way out of the interaction. Afraid that POs across NY received the same directive.
I have experienced the same problem of debit card must be an official bank card in two post offices in Manhattan in the last month.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by heychrisbaker
I have experienced the same problem of debit card must be an official bank card in two post offices in Manhattan in the last month.
Any luck finding a grocery store or alternate place to liquidate your cards?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:39 am

I have two USPS's that I go to to buy $500 MO's with OneVanillas from CVS in L.A. area. Never ever had a problem until this morning. Went to my primary PO, and I got a clerk I didn't recognize. Tried a MO for 498.80 and swiped. Entered PIN. Normally, there is a few seconds and it goes through. Today my screen just stayed blank. After a long minute or so of waiting, she asked if I was using a prepaid gift card. She already saw it in my hand, so I had to be honest and say yes. She said "We don't accept them" I canceled and left.
Because of that blank screen, my thought is that the system rejected the card, not the clerk herself. Even if I said "No it's a debit card and I have a PIN," I don't think it would have worked. I just left and will try a PO down the street later.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dogbyte
I don't known if this is nationwide or not.
It's definitely hit L.A.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:59 am

This brings me back to my question about people that work jobs that pay them on reloadable debit cards. I wonder if any of those payroll debit cards are issued by national banks that also offer gift card style debit cards. I can't imagine blocking the payroll cards from accessing money orders to pay rent and stuff like that...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:22 pm

OVs worked just fine at USPS this afternoon. The system was slow though at first but picked up speed later.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
This brings me back to my question about people that work jobs that pay them on reloadable debit cards. I wonder if any of those payroll debit cards are issued by national banks that also offer gift card style debit cards. I can't imagine blocking the payroll cards from accessing money orders to pay rent and stuff like that...
from : http://smallbusiness.chron.com/payro...ork-64682.html

"or the employee can withdraw the money as cash from an ATM. Employees must be able to withdraw all funds without any fee being charged at least once every pay period unless they use an international ATM or an ATM outside the approved network."

sounds like they have an out.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
No sign of it in NorCal...Yet.

Nevertheless it's way less suspicious to say that your bank card has a limit per transaction rather than "I'd like a MO for $998.40, and I'm paying with 5 cards". Also palm as real bank card face up in your hand.

Success with 5x200 for $998.40 in the city today. MCGC.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Bought a $1,000 money order yesterday with 2 Vanilla cards.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Anyone encountered issues with payment didn't go through but card was charged?
Tried to buy a MO yesterday using 2x500 OV. Was told that the first OV got declined after first swipe. But later I confirmed that the 500 was charged. The person handled my transaction at USPS was an old guy with very limited English proficiency so I was really frustrated when trying to tell him what happened.
Question: will the fund be refunded to my OV card? It is still showing 0 balance now..

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by mrsmsr
Anyone encountered issues with payment didn't go through but card was charged?
Tried to buy a MO yesterday using 2x500 OV. Was told that the first OV got declined after first swipe. But later I confirmed that the 500 was charged.
Question: will the fund be refunded to my OV card? It is still showing 0 balance now..
Did he void the transaction? Did you use a different card to finish the purchase? In either case, the fund will go back to your OV card in about 48 hours. Had it happened in a grocery store.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Went to a different PO today (not my usual location) in SF and was quoted "one swipe only for money orders because of money laundering perpetration of fraud." Okay then.

My usual location processed a $998.40 like a charm. I must have a unicorn on my hands.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
So please censor this if it gets into the "not allowed here" / "illegal" territory and I'll never mention it again.... but...

I've always wondered if you could buy a magnetic stripe reader/writer and then use either an old bank card (and hope they don't read the valid date to close, though seems risky) or use an actual bank card that is still valid but you closed the account on or something.

Then just clone the gift card info into your bank card before your trip to the PO.

Actually... even better. There are cards like "Coin" that allow you to store up to 7 or 8 card on it and then still use a traditional magnetic stripe to read it. I believe those you can even load new cards on via a smart phone app or something. Now of course those are a bit pricey and eat into profit ($100 or so) but I wonder if that would be valid enough for a post office clerk... as long as the point of sale doesn't say "gift card" during the swipe or something...

Coin got bought out/shut down by Fitbit. Even the existing cards don't work anymore IIRC. There is another one called Plastc that is basically vaporware at this point. I think their site is still up (and the renderings of the product look amazing) but they got kinda jacked by the EMV adoption (it's basically impossible to make that type of product EMV compatible).

I've wondered myself about copying the mag strip from GCs to a real debit card. Seems like it should be possible but then again I've never been asked to show the card in my area (yet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.