Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

I've searched the thread and not found an answer: Do meta GCs purchased at AAA branches (using the no fee December promo) work at POs?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Was just refused to purchase an MO at a PO in NYC with a Bancorp OVGC. Attempted $998.40 across two cards.

Didn't get to even try the transaction -- I swiped, then screen switched to "enter PIN", but officer then asked to see card and was just told "the postal inspector says there have been problems with these cards. They have to be issued by a bank". Thanked him, and left.

The POS at this PO is clearly visible to the officer -- it's a horizontal swipe with the front of the card facing towards the window.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by vastronaut
Was just refused to purchase an MO at a PO in NYC with a Bancorp OVGC. Attempted $998.40 across two cards.
Just got 4 $998.40's moments ago at 2 post offices with OVGC's, no problem.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:19 pm

Yep no issues at my local PO with OVGC
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by veeRob
Just got 4 $998.40's moments ago at 2 post offices with OVGC's, no problem.
Same for me as well. Except I only purchased one MO at my post office using a Bancorp OVGC.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by vastronaut
The POS at this PO is clearly visible to the officer -- it's a horizontal swipe with the front of the card facing towards the window.
IME you can swipe them either way and it will read. I always face the magnetic strip towards the window.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
IME you can swipe them either way and it will read. I always face the magnetic strip towards the window.
Ah, good tip. I went to another PO, was timid and did one for $498.80 without incident.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:17 pm

thinking that split transactions are causing issues rather than the type of card. OVs do not work at any of POs around me (for the last few weeks) when trying to buy $998.40. However, when I tried $495 today the OV worked.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mensday
thinking that split transactions are causing issues rather than the type of card. OVs do not work at any of POs around me (for the last few weeks) when trying to buy $998.40. However, when I tried $495 today the OV worked.
The clerk needs to input the payment amount AFTER you swipe and enter PIN when doing split payment. If the clerk tries to input the amount BEFORE you swipe and enter PIN, it would fail. At least this has happened a few times with me until I suggested the clerk did it the way I described. Then it worked smoothly.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by signofthefourwinds
I've searched the thread and not found an answer: Do meta GCs purchased at AAA branches (using the no fee December promo) work at POs?
Supposedly any Meta working at PO would be considered an anomaly, but you can try and see.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:53 am

Are OneVanilla cards still good to go at most USPS locations?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by poisson
It's good in my area but very location specific. Try it in your area and let us know.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:03 pm

The ones issued by Bancorp still seem to be working for a lot of people here. The ones issued by Metabank seem to be a different story and no longer work for most.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by GlobalPuros
The ones issued by Bancorp still seem to be working for a lot of people here. The ones issued by Metabank seem to be a different story and no longer work for most.
Good to know. Does CVS and Walgreens sell the Bancorp ones? Will it say Bancorp in small writing on the back of the packaging?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:23 pm

Good to know. Does CVS and Walgreens sell the Bancorp ones? Will it say Bancorp in small writing on the back of the packaging?
yes and yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.