FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mos-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed.html)

signofthefourwinds Jan 1, 2017 4:38 am

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

I've searched the thread and not found an answer: Do meta GCs purchased at AAA branches (using the no fee December promo) work at POs?

vastronaut Jan 3, 2017 10:55 am

Was just refused to purchase an MO at a PO in NYC with a Bancorp OVGC. Attempted $998.40 across two cards.

Didn't get to even try the transaction -- I swiped, then screen switched to "enter PIN", but officer then asked to see card and was just told "the postal inspector says there have been problems with these cards. They have to be issued by a bank". Thanked him, and left.

The POS at this PO is clearly visible to the officer -- it's a horizontal swipe with the front of the card facing towards the window.

veeRob Jan 3, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by vastronaut (Post 27698117)
Was just refused to purchase an MO at a PO in NYC with a Bancorp OVGC. Attempted $998.40 across two cards.

Just got 4 $998.40's moments ago at 2 post offices with OVGC's, no problem.

alphakenny1 Jan 3, 2017 12:19 pm

Yep no issues at my local PO with OVGC

GlobalPuros Jan 3, 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by veeRob (Post 27698581)
Just got 4 $998.40's moments ago at 2 post offices with OVGC's, no problem.

Same for me as well. Except I only purchased one MO at my post office using a Bancorp OVGC.

bodiddely Jan 3, 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by vastronaut (Post 27698117)
The POS at this PO is clearly visible to the officer -- it's a horizontal swipe with the front of the card facing towards the window.

IME you can swipe them either way and it will read. I always face the magnetic strip towards the window.

vastronaut Jan 3, 2017 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely (Post 27699371)
IME you can swipe them either way and it will read. I always face the magnetic strip towards the window.

Ah, good tip. I went to another PO, was timid and did one for $498.80 without incident.

mensday Jan 3, 2017 7:17 pm

thinking that split transactions are causing issues rather than the type of card. OVs do not work at any of POs around me (for the last few weeks) when trying to buy $998.40. However, when I tried $495 today the OV worked.

Happy Jan 3, 2017 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mensday (Post 27700639)
thinking that split transactions are causing issues rather than the type of card. OVs do not work at any of POs around me (for the last few weeks) when trying to buy $998.40. However, when I tried $495 today the OV worked.

The clerk needs to input the payment amount AFTER you swipe and enter PIN when doing split payment. If the clerk tries to input the amount BEFORE you swipe and enter PIN, it would fail. At least this has happened a few times with me until I suggested the clerk did it the way I described. Then it worked smoothly.

dothemath Jan 4, 2017 12:11 am

Originally Posted by signofthefourwinds (Post 27687499)
I've searched the thread and not found an answer: Do meta GCs purchased at AAA branches (using the no fee December promo) work at POs?

Supposedly any Meta working at PO would be considered an anomaly, but you can try and see.

poisson Jan 4, 2017 8:53 am

Are OneVanilla cards still good to go at most USPS locations?

Flyby01 Jan 4, 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 27703123)

It's good in my area but very location specific. Try it in your area and let us know.

GlobalPuros Jan 4, 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 27703123)

The ones issued by Bancorp still seem to be working for a lot of people here. The ones issued by Metabank seem to be a different story and no longer work for most.

poisson Jan 4, 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by GlobalPuros (Post 27704107)
The ones issued by Bancorp still seem to be working for a lot of people here. The ones issued by Metabank seem to be a different story and no longer work for most.

Good to know. Does CVS and Walgreens sell the Bancorp ones? Will it say Bancorp in small writing on the back of the packaging?

Mamibear Jan 4, 2017 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 27704430)
Good to know. Does CVS and Walgreens sell the Bancorp ones? Will it say Bancorp in small writing on the back of the packaging?

yes and yes.