Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by brody24
Even NJ giving me issues. Manhattan of course is a wasteland, so on a trip over to NJ to visit family, I swung by a local USPS. Said I wanted to pay with debit. "Sure, just need to see the card first." Grrrr.
Well you are going to the wrong place in NJ
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Well you are going to the wrong place in NJ
Obviously. I know a bunch of places in NJ are fine based on anecdotes I've heard. Was kind of a "just my luck" moment to be shut down at 3 straight USPS locations in Manhattan only to hit the same roadblock on my first try in NJ.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Not "confirmed" at all. Just went to 2 POs around me, no issues.
Do you minding telling me what area of USPS do you go? I really need to quickly drain couple cards next week. Thanks for your info in advance.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:20 pm

I've always avoided One Vanilla MCGCs but my 711 has been running out of OV VGCs so I bought one as a test to make sure it'll work at USPS. No issues liquidating just now at a PO in NoVA. I think I've just instinctively avoided MCGCs because of the issues people have with the "change payment" game at Walmart, but are they generally reliable at PO? Think I will switch to OV MCGCs for 711 MS going forward since the package was easier to open and had no embossed numbers (which I prefer).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I've always avoided One Vanilla MCGCs but my 711 has been running out of OV VGCs so I bought one as a test to make sure it'll work at USPS. No issues liquidating just now at a PO in NoVA. I think I've just instinctively avoided MCGCs because of the issues people have with the "change payment" game at Walmart, but are they generally reliable at PO? Think I will switch to OV MCGCs for 711 MS going forward since the package was easier to open and had no embossed numbers (which I prefer).
That's what I get at my 711 (MCGC). Always works at PO.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
That's what I get at my 711 (MCGC). Always works at PO.
I guessing they were Bancorp Bank issued OVMG cards...Not MetaBank OVMG ....The package is identical except for the issuing bank which is on the back of the package on the 5th or 6 th line of fine print...Never tried a Meta OVMC...And I won't cause I always get the Bancorp cards
I need to find the- sevin Leven to sell me one with a cc.

I must plan ahead for will be done with Sam's and my Disco card this month..And freedom done already --drugstore category
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:44 am

OVMC in Sam's is issued by US Bank Corp, instead of Meta.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

Sorry, new here, and can not find the old thread which had the info I needed.
There is a Simon Mall near me, that has $0 purchase fees starting tomorrow.
But the prepaid cards sold at Simon Malls no longer work for buying MO's at USPS any more correct?

Also, is it only Vanilla Prepaid Cards by Bank Corp that work now?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by lesamuel
Just got rejected at 2 POs in NorCal citing that they needed to see "bank logos" and "my name on the card."

I think the PO is fizzling out.
Where in NorCal? Was it in the bay?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by AJDem
Sorry, new here, and can not find the old thread which had the info I needed.
There is a Simon Mall near me, that has $0 purchase fees starting tomorrow.
But the prepaid cards sold at Simon Malls no longer work for buying MO's at USPS any more correct?

Also, is it only Vanilla Prepaid Cards by Bank Corp that work now?
Whoa whoa whoa, what's this about Simon having no purchase fees? Where are you located? Is it just your location?

To answer your question, it's just Metabank cards that won't work at PO. So for example VGC's sold at Walmart and issued by Sunrise bank will work. But only Metabank VGCs are available at Simon and they definitely don't work at PO. Most people liquidate them at Walmart or grocery stores.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:00 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, what's this about Simon having no purchase fees? Where are you located? Is it just your location?

To answer your question, it's just Metabank cards that won't work at PO. So for example VGC's sold at Walmart and issued by Sunrise bank will work. But only Metabank VGCs are available at Simon and they definitely don't work at PO. Most people liquidate them at Walmart or grocery stores.
Thanks for the info! Bummer, not sure if I have the willpower to try walmart again, the last three times I tried, I got terrible csr's who denied me and gave me grief.

Not sure if it's just my location, the mall that is doing it is here:

http://www.macerich.com/Leasing/Property/172

They had a sign they were putting up last night as they were closing, and I caught sight of it on my way out.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by AJDem
Thanks for the info! Bummer, not sure if I have the willpower to try walmart again, the last three times I tried, I got terrible csr's who denied me and gave me grief.

Not sure if it's just my location, the mall that is doing it is here:

http://www.macerich.com/Leasing/Property/172

They had a sign they were putting up last night as they were closing, and I caught sight of it on my way out.
That's not a Simon mall. Macerich malls sell Sunrise VGCs IIRC. Those should work at PO. Obviously I would do a test run first before making a large purchase of them if you don't have easy alternative liquidation methods.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:03 pm

Sunrise and GD working for You? Last tries here failed.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900
Sunrise and GD working for You? Last tries here failed.
Yeah. It was two weeks ago or so and I forget if they were Sunrise or GD, but it was a "Walmart Visa giftcard" with the $4.94 fee. Unfortunately they're usually at of stock at my WM but it's a great way to manufacture (non-Amex) grocery spend when they have 'em.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:07 pm

thanks for the info! And sorry about confusing simon with macerich!
Will try it out tomorrow with just one VGC, hope it goes through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.