Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:33 pm

Anyone have an issue getting the USPS to give a blank money order? I actually do need a blank money order for my pistol permit (that's all the sheriff will accept).
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by TechBBBFan
Anyone have an issue getting the USPS to give a blank money order? I actually do need a blank money order for my pistol permit (that's all the sheriff will accept).
That's all I ever get is blank MOs, and I frequent more POs than I can count without sitting down and calculating them all.

You mean they ask you for the info and they fill it in at the counter ?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:13 pm

OV Visa bought MO at USPS today all work fine!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Any tips on how to liquidate Metabank visa GC (not working at PO)? I know it's dumb to end up with them in first place. But any tips/tricks/pointer will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
OV Visa bought MO at USPS today all work fine!
But did you buy the OV with a credit card? The Walgreens and CVS's near me are cash only for OVs.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
But did you buy the OV with a credit card? The Walgreens and CVS's near me are cash only for OVs.
northern california cvs allows credit cards when purchasing gift cards
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Go to another CVS. I think it's YMMV. The limit is 2000.00 in a 24hr period. They scan your driver's license.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Several dozen
You can buy various cruise gift cards with the Metas and use the cards to book a cruise or settle your final bill. That is assuming you are stuck with a thousand in or two in Metas. Unspent gift card balances are returned as a credit to the credit card you used to register for the cruise when boarding. Dunno how I would know that.

Originally Posted by mgodara
Any tips on how to liquidate Metabank visa GC (not working at PO)? I know it's dumb to end up with them in first place. But any tips/tricks/pointer will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:32 pm

DP for Chicago. Bought Vanilla VGC from Walgreens and CVS with no issues. Had no problems getting MO at USPS.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:35 pm

Hi so it is normal Valinna or One Valinna card?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by poisson
DP for Chicago. Bought Vanilla VGC from Walgreens and CVS with no issues. Had no problems getting MO at USPS.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
You can buy various cruise gift cards with the Metas and use the cards to book a cruise or settle your final bill. That is assuming you are stuck with a thousand in or two in Metas. Unspent gift card balances are returned as a credit to the credit card you used to register for the cruise when boarding. Dunno how I would know that.
Thanks a ton. Any specific cruise cards you recommend for this? Sounds very interesting. I'm stuck with some 2k Metas.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:51 am

Another DP for Chicago:

I was in the loop, so I went to a different post office than the one I usually visit. It's the location on Dearborn & Ohio. I asked for a MO for $498.80 and the clerk asked how I was paying. I said "debit card" and she asked to see the card. She took one look at the card and said "nope, you aren't coming through my line using that." I explained that it's just a debit card and uses a PIN. Definitely the rudest USPS clerk I've ever encountered. Even the people at the DMV are nicer.

I went to the USPS location in Merchandise Mart a few blocks away and had no issues.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: UA
DP for NYC

Went to PO on 43rd Street in Midtown. Tried to purchase MO using gebit card and it got declined. Wonder if machine was hardcoded.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
wel if you had read the wiki you would know that certain types of cards simply dont work at the PO any more.

But since that is way too much to ask, I guess you should just continue to post DPs that no one wants.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by shitrus
wel if you had read the wiki you would know that certain types of cards simply dont work at the PO any more.

But since that is way too much to ask, I guess you should just continue to post DPs that no one wants.
Sure enough. Should have checked. Thanks for pointing it out so nicely.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 22, 2017 at 11:10 am Reason: snark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.