Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Wow.

How did this thread devolve into the MS101 clinic. So many posters that haven't bothered to read any other threads, especially the New to MS thread pinned to the top!
This is FT? You are shocked or angry about spoonfeeding and people asking to be spoonfed?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:38 pm

Besides the Post office, are there any other places that take these $500 GCs for Money Orders?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Many used to. You have to try various places around your area to see who still does.

Originally Posted by 621mango
Besides the Post office, are there any other places that take these $500 GCs for Money Orders?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:17 pm

Have been buying USB Visa at grocery. Bought one yesterday, packaging was slightly different. Card itself was mostly black vs "purple package" I usually buy. Wouldn't work at USPS for MO. Comparing the old and new card, BIN on newer card is completely different from previous USB Visa I have purchased.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:00 pm

In Los Angeles and I successfully used 2 $500 OVGC to buy a USPS MO for $998.40.

The first PO I went to asked to see the debit card and ID and said my name needs to be on the card but the 2nd one just told me to swipe and input my pin.

MY FIRST MS!!!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:39 am

Sams club discountinued 500 Vanilla MGC

Yesterday I went my local Sam club for 500 vanilla mgc, but only 200 left. Many were discounted and pulled earlier including 500 mgc.
Not sure if this is nationawide action will check another store today
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by kevinguo09
Yesterday I went my local Sam club for 500 vanilla mgc, but only 200 left. Many were discounted and pulled earlier including 500 mgc.
Not sure if this is nationawide action will check another store today
My store in Az is fine and business as usual. Just bought today..They even re stocked the OV MasterCards... Probably 75 to 100 of them on display All of them $20-- $500 variable GC plus all the other variable GC they sell..
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ubilam
Have been buying USB Visa at grocery. Bought one yesterday, packaging was slightly different. Card itself was mostly black vs "purple package" I usually buy. Wouldn't work at USPS for MO. Comparing the old and new card, BIN on newer card is completely different from previous USB Visa I have purchased.
USB V do not work at PO but USB MC do.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:39 pm

"Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000."

I have multiple debt cards with small balances. Does anyone now maximum number of debt transaction per one MO?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
"Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000."

I have multiple debt cards with small balances. Does anyone now maximum number of debt transaction per one MO?

i used to do 20 cards for 10k back when PO was god donno now
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Facepalm! This is the kind of thinking that quickly killed gebits from buying MOs in grocers over here. In came folks with 10-50s to buy a $500 MO ($3,000 at a time) and store management got pissed. Try that over here only if you are aching to be alligator food.

Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V

Just use them up on small purchases? Save the MOs for larger cards
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Just use them up on small purchases? Save the MOs for larger cards
In my case small is $50-$200 balances. I usually do 2 x $500. Just wonder if anyone has done 6-12 swipes for $1000 MO and want to share experience.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:04 am

Is there a way to check if I have cashed USPS money order? I know form at post office for this but wanna see if there is free way to check
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by dwatcher
Is there a way to check if I have cashed USPS money order? I know form at post office for this but wanna see if there is free way to check
Simplest way for me is to mark it with a pencil after deposit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.